Angelica's Smile by Andrea Camilleri

Angelica's Smile (2010)

by Andrea Camilleri

Series: Commissario Montalbano (17)

English (11)  Italian (4)  Spanish (3)  All languages (18)
I listened to the Grover Gardner audiobook, while periodically glancing at the Kindle edition's notes. Gardner is a marvellous narrator so I would give the audiobook edition a boost to 4*.

This entry in the series had a bit less about Montalbano's food (which was a shame as I love that part). He is struggling with aging & as he is about my age I can sympathize with that. However, I thought that the mystery part was not one of Camilleri's better efforts. Not bad but not as engrossing or puzzling as in some of the previous books. ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 13, 2017 |
2014, Blackstone Audiobooks, Read by Grover Gardner

Publisher’s Summary: from Audible.com
A rash of burglaries has Inspector Salvo Montalbano stumped. The criminals are so brazen that their leader, the anonymous Mr. Z, starts sending the Sicilian inspector menacing letters. Among those burgled is the young and beautiful Angelica Cosulich, who reminds the inspector of the love-interest in Ludovico Ariosto's chivalric romance, Orlando Furioso. Besotted by Angelica's charms, Montalbano imagines himself back in the medieval world of jousts and battles. But when one of the burglars turns up dead, Montalbano must snap out of his fantasy and unmask his challenger.

My Review:
Camilleri has an exciting premise here: a pack of thieves execute a series of perfect burglaries, targeting vacation homes of the wealthy elite. The thieves, while burglarizing said ostentatious vacation homes steal keys to the owners’ even more ostentatious city homes. That said, Angelica’s Smile did not really work for me. For one, I found the whole medieval thing over the top – and Montalbano’s fantastical dreams in which he is Angelica’s knight in shining armour – even more over the top. Angelica herself is charming, but of herself she is not enough to carry the story. On a brighter note, Montalbano and Livia do have great makeup sex – nothing graphic or gratuitous, of course, not from Camilleri.

Can’t recommend this one so much, but I do highly recommend the series as a whole and look forward to the next installment, Game of Mirrors. ( )
  lit_chick | Oct 19, 2016 |
An okay mystery but I think I am starting to tire of the Inspector Montalbano books. Between the latest in what has become a string of romantic liaisons/infatuations for Montalbano, and his continuing childish behaviour when it comes to paperwork and meeting with his boss the police commissioner, I am finding my patience for him as a
character is starting grow a little thin. At least with Ingrid the stories didn't dive into the juvenile behaviour, or at least, not as much. On the plus side, Cat, Fazio and the coroner continue to amuse me and I do get a kick out of the fact that Montalbano and his group refer to the forensic team as "the circus". ( )
  lkernagh | Nov 11, 2015 |
When Inspector Montalbano sees Angelica for the first time, he is seized with a deep and passionate love. Her beauty is heart stopping for him. Yes, there is a mystery to be solved here but the real story is what is going on with the Inspector’s heart. There are quotes from Orlando Furioso as his somewhat ridiculous crush continues; he is 30 years older than Angelica. Montalbano receives a note from the criminal ring leader that led him to know “it was going to be a thrilling game of chess.” Montalbano struggles to solve a maddening complicated string of burglaries. This is number 17 in the series and I suggest reading them in order beginning with The Shape of Water. The series is set in Sicily, has recurring characters to like, and luscious descriptions of Sicilian food. ( )
  hangen | Apr 11, 2015 |
Angelica's Smile is the 17th in the Salvo Montalbano series from Camilleri, and while as ever a clever, humourous, and entertaining read, it is not quite on a par with some of his previous. In this latest mystery, as usual based in the (fictitious) coastal town of Vigata in Sicily, Salvo is involved in trying to solve a string of copycat burglaries of seeming acquaintances who all own two properties. While not enamored at being involved with mere burglaries, he is so because of the reputation of some of those burgled, and any disquiet he has is quickly dispelled when he meets and becomes infatuated with one of those burgled, the beautiful Angelica. What is it that ties the burglaries together, and why is the perpetrator sending him clues in anonymous messages? Is the reason for the burglaries something other than mere theft? Camilleri's plots are nearly always well thought out and need to be in order to keep this long series fresh, yet I always yearn for more of Livia, Salvo's long-time girlfriend, whose appearances are always all too frustratingly short. There is the usual midnight stakeout, regular visits to his favourite eateries, trouble interpreting Cateralla, and uncertainty regarding his relationship with Livia. And also as appears usual not everyone may be as they appear. Maybe therein lies the clue to events. Sometimes Camelleri's books end with a sense of sadness; this one may fall into that bracket, but for what reason I won't reveal. The reason can be either (a) too short a story, (b) the guilt of someone maybe not deserving of it, (c) slightly ant-climatic ending, or (d) a rather predictable ending. I'm going to leave you guessing! ( )
  ebyrne41 | Oct 17, 2014 |

Andrea Camilleriprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He awoke with a start and sat up in bed, eyes already open.

Every night the whole nation watches the ultimate live game TV show, as the contestants try to beat annihilation at the hands of the hunters in order to win the billion dollar jackpot. And now there's a new contestant, the latest Running Man, staking his life while a nation watches.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,013,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible