The Science of Getting Rich (1910)

by Wallace D. Wattles

Straightforward and easy to understand, The Science of Getting Rich asserts that all of us -- no matter what our circumstances -- have the ability to obtain enough wealth to live as we desire and to fulfill our purpose in life. Written nearly a century ago and recently rediscovered by Rhonda Byrne, creator of The Secret, The Science of Getting Rich offers clear insight on creating prosperity and the happiness that ensues. There exists a science of getting rich -- and it is an exact science, like algebra or arithmetic. There are also certain laws that govern the process of acquiring means, and once these laws are learned and followed, a person will prosper with mathematical certainty. This book carefully provides the explanation of this science and how these laws function. Each one of us naturally wants to achieve his or her full potential -- this desire to realize our innate talents is inherent in human nature. There is nothing wrong in wanting to become wealthy; in fact, the longing for riches is really the desire for a fuller and more abundant life. The Science of Getting Rich can set you on your way toward reaching this goal.… (more)

Key insights that I interpret from this book that I feel inspired to share are:
1. Be in a state of gratitude
2. Try to act in the present moment to do the best I can do at each moment
3. Try to leave each person I meet with the feeling of increase, and give them more in value than what they pay for your product/service
4. Try to hold the thought(s) of what you want in mind and know that it will create a magnetic process to attract what you would like but be sure to know that inspired action will also be needed on our part ( )
  yadt | May 24, 2022 |
The Science of Getting Rich Paperback
by Wallace D. Wattles

An Unabridged Edition of the 1910 Classic with all chapters and footnotes to include: Preface – The Right to Be Rich – There is A Science of Getting Rich – Is Opportunity Monopolized? – The First Principle in The Science of Getting Rich – Increasing Life – How Riches Come to You – Gratitude – Thinking in the Certain Way – How to Use the Will – Further Use of the Will – Acting in the Certain Way – Efficient Action – Getting into the Right Business – The Impression of Increase – The Advancing Man – Some Cautions, and Concluding Observations – Summary of the Science of Getting Rich.

The Science of Getting Rich is a book written by the New Thought Movement. This book is "divided into 17 short chapters that explain how to overcome mental barriers, and how creation, rather than competition, is the hidden key to wealth attraction.

Why I picked this book up: I recently read Peale’s The Power of Positive Thinking, Shinn’s The Game of Life and How to Play It by and Allen’s As A Man Thinketh and I wanted to compare them.

Thoughts: The author believes we ought to be rich, the works has enough stuff a d similarly, there is enough money, we ought to get rich not just to be satisfied but rich to buy all we want and basically knowing that you are creating your own experience with your thoughts and the actions that grow out of those thoughts I what this author is saying. I am not against having money but to me it sounded like he puts money above God and I know the Bible says, “The love of money is the root of all evil.” He said, the mental attitude of gratitude is the way to go about it. He says, be around wealth and it will be easier to get wealthy. He said that good things we have are because of obedience. He also said “Draw nigh to God and He will draw nigh to you, I think it says that in James. This does not seem to be related to finances to me. He says say what you want, imagine it and it will be yours. He says always stay in the now, we can not be in the future or in the past so stay in the present and deal with things as they come in the here and now.

Why I finished this read: I really had a difficult time finishing this book, again I am not anti money and comparing Shinn’s book that dealt with money too was easy to finish and I was sad when it was over. This one seemed too self absorb and not godly. He even said, True faith is never boastful. Maybe I felt he was the opposite of what he just said. He tried to say not to seek selfish power and to give more to people at the same time it seems to be writing about it is out right, expectation and our behavior that are making usnwekthy.

I rated this book with 2.5 stars. ( )
  DrT | Feb 20, 2022 |
Must read! ( )
  Jolene.M | Jul 30, 2020 |
Upgraded my rating to 5 stars.

For a book that was written 108 years ago, Wallace D. Wattles displayed tremendous wisdom and great generosity to share so much knowledge with us. ( )
  Wendy_Wang | Sep 28, 2019 |
Upgraded my rating to 5 stars.

Jason.Ong.Wicky | May 2, 2019 |

Beyond Words Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Beyond Words Publishing.

Editions: 1582701881, 0743572181

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Hachette Book Group

An edition of this book was published by Hachette Book Group.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,689,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible