Hellboy Volume 4: The Right Hand of Doom…

Hellboy Volume 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy Graphic Novels) (edition 2004)

by Mike Mignola

Series: Hellboy Edição Historica (4), Hellboy graphic novels (4), Hellboy (Vol. 4, issues 15-16)

Mike Mignola's Hellboy is one of the most enduringly popular comic characters of recent times. As part of the B.P.R.D (Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense), Hellboy and his comrades have investigated and combated some of the world's deadliest supernatural villains. Since the release of the Hellboy films (in 2004 and 2008), the character has achieved mainstream popularity along with the respect he was always given by the comic book community.… (more)
Member:caledfwlch
Title:Hellboy Volume 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy Graphic Novels)
Authors:Mike Mignola
Info:Dark Horse (2004), Paperback, 144 pages

Work Information

Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom by Mike Mignola

English (14)  Czech (1)  All languages (15)
One day someone at Dark Horse asked if I was interested in doing a story about young Hellboy. I wasn't, but instead of saying no I said, "What about two pages of Hellboy eating pcancakes?" I thought it was a riot. I didn't expect anyone else to like it, but it turned out to be a big hit with a lot of readers. It's nice when that happens.

And he's just so cute!

After that, we have a few wonderfully creepy short stories. Baddies that are just floating heads, which Hellboy discovered the people who he was talking to with said heads missing... only to find them trying to eat him. And a medium that accidentally tunes into the wrong spirit world and gets far more than he bargained for (I should steal that core idea).

Oh. And dragons:

Because those of course exist in this universe. But best of all?

We do get some more of Hellboy saving the world, which of course he's not overly thrilled with:

And a summary of the universe as a whole:

It's just a wonderful series. Much stronger than [b:Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others|102461|Hellboy, Vol. 3 The Chained Coffin and Others|Mike Mignola|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1486039255l/102461._SY75_.jpg|412217].
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Another great collection of miscellaneous stories with a few longer entries by Mignola that keep the main arc, as much as Hellboy has one, going. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
All in all, I thought this was quite enjoyable.

Notably, the whole origin story for Hellboy and his place in the world.

Other than that, the short stories were relatively cool and I especially love the homages to folklore and mythology. I get a thrill out of old tales that seem ancient and obscure even to me. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
If these short story collections are teaching me anything, it's that I find Hellboy comics a lot more interesting when dealing with an ongoing story, rather than a one off adventure.

Hellboy is such an interesting and complex character, the stories that are only a few pages long and consist of some sort of monster throwing him through a wall only for him to get up and KO the badie with one punch seem like such a waste.

Which is probably why Right Hand of Doom and Box Full of Evil are my favourite stories from this collection. Hellboy struggling with questions of who he is, how does he cope with having evil literally grafted to him, and what does it mean that he fights against monsters when he's a monster himself? Plus one of my favourite "snap out of it hero" lines of all time: "Well then, boy, it's not your name is it? Is it?" ( )
  Fardo | Oct 15, 2019 |
I've never been the biggest fan of Hellboy or Mike Mignola, but I picked up a couple of these volumes very reasonably in a charity shop in London and decided to give them a read. This one was a neat little collection of 2-pagers and other bits and pieces that had appeared in different comics but were collected here for the first time. I think that Neil Gaiman has done so much more with these kinds of ghost stories and glimpses into Hell, but Hellboy is a cool enough character to make these fun. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,540,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible