A history of the world in 100 objects by…

A history of the world in 100 objects (2010)

by Neil MacGregor

English (24)  Dutch (2)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All languages (28)
So you are deaf and cannot listen to the original radio version. This is the book for you. It follows the script very closely, either word for word or thought for thought.

You are missing the haunting introductory music. You wouldn't know what was coming, but as soon as that music started you knew you were going to hear something interesting.

On the other hand, with the book you can go at your own pace. I would strongly advise that you read it while you have access either to a good library or the internet.

A quick word on the chapter on the Lewis 'chessmen'. There's a good article by the wonderful Geoff Chandler here:

I've not been to the British Library in the last few years but last time I was there they were still describing them as chess pieces. I note that since the article was published the curator of those held in Edinburgh has quietly changed the signage. ( )
  Lukerik | Jul 23, 2017 |
If anybody could kill one's love for history, this is the guy! So dry! ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | May 13, 2016 |
Liked the audio version much better than the print. Could listen to the narrator's accent all day! It's a British thing ( )
  tmscott13 | Jan 23, 2016 |
I've only read the introduction and perused the pictures, but I am sure this is going to be a special book....

For now, I have to return it to the library.
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Fantastic resource for anyone who loves history, culture and/or museums. Even though the title reads *A* history, it could've been called *The* history, given the sheer breadth of the themes and civilizations this book covers. Loving and serious attention is paid to each object, with at least one gorgeous photograph per item, and to the stories about the past it evokes. This is geared toward a popular audience rather than a scholarly one (as was the original BBC radio series), so the essays aren't long ones, but they're cogent and full of illuminating quotes from scholars and other experts. The only problem I have is that now I want to visit the British Museum and thus have to figure out what to leave out of my luggage so I can fit this book in it. ( )
  bostonian71 | Aug 3, 2015 |

Wirthensohn, AndreasÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zettel, AnnabelÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zischler, HannsSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my colleagues at the British Museum
Telling history through things is what museums are for. (Preface: Mission Impossible)
In this book we travel back in time and across the globe, to see how we humans have shaped our world and been shaped by it over the past two million years. (Introduction)
Traces the stories of one hundred human innovations to explain their pivotal role in shaping civilization, from weapons and the domestication of cows to currency and music.

Contents:
pt. 1. Making us human: 2,000,000-9000 BC : Mummy of Hornedjitef ; Olduvai stone chopping tool ; Olduvai handaxe ; Swimming reindeer ; Clovis spear point --

pt. 2. After the Ice Age: food and sex: 9000-3500 BC : Bird-shaped pestle ; Ain Sakhri lovers figurine ; Egyptian clay model of cattle ; Maya maize god statue ; Jomon pot --

pt. 3. The first cities and states: 4000-2000 BC : King Den's sandal label ; Standard of Ur ; Indus seal ; Jade axe ; Early writing tablet --

pt. 4. The beginnings of science and literature: 2000-700 BC : Flood tablet ; Rhind mathematical papyrus ; Minoan bull-leaper ; Mold gold cape ; Statue of Ramesses II --

pt. 5. Old world, new powers: 1100-300 BC : Lachish reliefs ; Sphinx of Taharqo ; Chinese Zhou ritual vessel ; Paracas textile ; Gold coin of Croesus --

pt. 6. The world in the age of Confucius: 500-300 BC : Oxus chariot model ; Parthenon sculpture: Centaur and Lapith ; Basse-Yutz flagons ; Olmec stone mask ; Chinese bronze bell --

pt. 7. Empire builders: 300 BC-AD 10 : Coin with head of Alexander ; Pillar of Ashoka ; Rosetta stone ; Chinese Han lacquer cup ; Head of Augustus --

pt. 8. Ancient pleasures, modern spice: AD 1-500 : Warren cup ; North American otter pipe ; Ceremonial ballgame belt ; Admonitions scroll ; Hoxne pepper pot --

pt. 9. The rise of world faiths: AD 100-600 : Seated Buddha from Gandhara ; Gold coins of Kumaragupta I ; Plate showing Shapur II ; Hinton St. Mary mosaic ; Arabian bronze hand --

pt. 10. The silk road and beyond: AD 400-800 : Gold coins of Abd al-Malik ; Sutton Hoo helmet ; Moche warrior pot ; Korean roof tile ; Silk princess painting --

pt. 11. Inside the palace: secrets at court: AD 700-900 : Maya relief of royal blood-letting ; Harem wall-painting fragments ; Lothair crystal ; Statue of Tara ; Chinese Tang tomb figures --

pt. 12. Pilgrims, raiders and traders: AD 800-1300 : Vale of York hoard ; Hedwig beaker ; Japanese bronze mirror ; Borobudur Buddha head ; Kilwa pot sherds --

pt. 13. Status symbols: AD 1100-1500 : The Lewis chessmen ; Hebrew astrolabe ; Ife head ; The David vases ; Taino ritual seat --

pt. 14. Meeting the gods: AD 1200-1500 : Holy Thorn Reliquary ; Icon of the Triumph of Orthodoxy ; Shiva and Parvati sculpture ; Sculpture of Huastec goddess ; Hoa Hakananai'a Easter Island statue --

pt. 15. The threshold of the modern world: AD 1375-1550 : Tughra of Suleiman the Magnificent ; Ming banknote ; Inca gold llama ; Jake dragon cup ; Dürer's Rhinoceros --

pt. 16. The first global economy: AD 1450-1650 : Mechanical galleon ; Benin plaque: the Oba with Europeans ; Double-headed serpent ; Kakiemon elephants ; Pieces of eight --

pt. 17. Tolerance and intolerance: AD 1550-1700 : Shi'a religious parade standard ; Miniature of a Mughal prince ; Shadow puppet of Bima ; Mexican codex map ; Reformation centenary broadsheet --

pt. 18. Exploration, exploitation and enlightenment: AD 1680-1820 : Akan drum ; Hawaiian feather helmet ; North American buckskin map ; Australian bark shield ; Jade Bi --

pt. 19. Mass production, mass persuasion: AD 1780-1914 : Ship's chronometer from HMS Beagle ; Early Victorian tea set ; Hokusai's The Great Wave ; Sudanese slit drum ; Suffragette-defaced penny --

pt. 20. The world of our making: AD 1914-2010 : Russian revolutionary plate ; Hockney's In the Dull Village ; Throne of weapons ; Credit card ; Solar-powered lamp and charger.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1846144132, 0241951771

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,103,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible