Call It Courage by Armstrong Sperry

Call It Courage (edition 1990)

by Armstrong Sperry (Author)

Relates how Mafatu, a young Polynesian boy whose name means Stout Heart, overcomes his terrible fear of the sea and proves his courage to himself and his people.
Member:SMBrick
Title:Call It Courage
Authors:Armstrong Sperry (Author)
Info:Aladdin (1990), Edition: Reprint, 128 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***

Call It Courage by Armstrong Sperry

I read this one when it first came out as a child. It eventually led me to Jim Kjelgaard, Jack London and other writers of adventure stories. Call it Courage was probably the first story I read that sort of expanded my horizons beyond my world in NE Wisconsin of the 1960's & early 1970's. Even in 2021, the story is not at all dated and I highly recommend it to any youngster looking to step outside of his comfort zone. ( )
  DaleAllenRaby | Mar 8, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
Very rich story. Interesting descriptions of making the materials of a Polynesian life - weapons, tools, canoe, cloth, fire... The story is very simple, and the end is pretty much obvious from the start - though I wasn't sure the dog would make it through. Nice, and interesting. I may want to reread it sometime - though it's a very thin book, wouldn't be hard to memorize even. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Oct 10, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |

Sperry, Armstrongprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It happened many years ago, before the traders and missionaries first came into the South Seas, while the Polynesians were still great in numbers and fierce of heart.
CALL IT COURAGE has been published in the United Kingdom as THE BOY WHO WAS AFRAID.

Mafatu has been afraid of the sea for as long as he can remember. Though his father is the Great Chief of Hikueru - an island whose seafaring people worship courage - Mafatu feels like an outsider. All his life he has been teased, taunted, and even blamed for storms on the sea.
Then at age fifteen, no longer willing to put up with the ridicule and jibes, Mafatu decides to take his fate into his own hands. With his dog, Uri, as his companion, Mafatu paddles out to sea, ready to face his fears. What he learns on his lonesome adventure will change him forever and make him a hero in the eyes of his people.

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,247,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible