Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, Book…

Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, Book 3) (edition 1986)

by David Eddings (Author)

Member:Ron18
Title:Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, Book 3)
Authors:David Eddings (Author)
Info:Del Rey (1986)
Collections:Read
Tags:fantasy, read in 2019, series, fiction

Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

English (38)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (45)
I'm really enjoying the series. There's a set of characters that you really grow to like, and a whole chapter can go by where you only get one comment or mention from one of them and you still feel like its a well-oiled machine. Not a lot happens to advance the plot in this installment, but we get great character backgrounds, evolutions, and a unique addition in the form of Relg. Relg is definitely the best thing to happen to Magician's Gambit - he strains archetypes, and has a critical contribution to make. That his motivation arises from being chewed out by his God, is seriously classic and fun to explore as well.
As part of my daughter's bedtime ritual, she reads with my wife for a while - then I read whatever novel I'm into aloud in her room as she falls asleep. So, she gets only parts - maybe 50% - of the book, in 30 minute increments - - she was still able to follow this story, and get the gist of who everyone is, and what they're up to - even when missing chapters. I think that speaks well of the storytelling, and the classic "journey of a team of heroes" motif. ( )
  Ron18 | Apr 16, 2019 |
This is a tough one to review; I'm still really enjoying it, as the quality of writing is strong and the descriptions easily put me into the world. The problem is that the plot doesn't really move all that much in this one. I think Relg is a fantastic, unique character and I loved him joining the group but aside from that, there wasn't much to it except the last few chapters (which were pretty cool from a Fantasy standpoint). It's all a bit anti-climactic, though, and since this is a 5 book series, the "end" of the 3rd book hardly feels like the end of a book and more the end of a chapter. Weird.

That being said, all the characters in the core group are a blast and it makes me want to be a part of their not-so-merry band. The World-Building isn't exactly what I'd call polished, but it gets the job done. This one is either a high 3.5 or a low 4, I'll err on the side of 4. ( )
  hskey | Feb 7, 2019 |
This is the third book of a pentology. It is important for me to note that before writing this review I have read all five books. Not all of my reviews for the five books results in 5 stars, only the first three. I gave the fourth book 4 stars and the final book only got 3. As a result, I have given the entire series only 4 stars.
The building crescendo continues in this book with a final battle where the goal of the mission is within grasp. The conflicts in this book are quite good and the climactic ending is epic. In truth, if the author had ended this as a trilogy with book I would have been more than satisfied. ( )
  MichaelDrakich | Jan 8, 2019 |
The thing is nothing happens in this one until the last 10 pages.

The second thing is that Eddings is clearly realizing who his standouts are. They got to go on to the Malloreon except for Barak. Silk? His Gary Stu, totally going on Quest #2. Ce'Nedra? Coming along. Polgara and Belgarath and Garion? Come on, of course. Beldin gets the equivalent of five minutes of screentime and steals that entire section of the novel from Aldur, so of course he comes along on the next one. Errand is a living MacGuffin, but even by this point Eddings clearly knew he was doing a sequel series, hence all the mysterious hints. Durnik doesn't get quite the fun that the above characters get, but like with Errand, I think Durnik was meant to be static for plot purposes for this series and he comes across as a good guy. It's not like he tells Polgara "but I'm such a nice guy, why won't you be with me?" Everyone knows, but he's not a Nice Guy nice guy, he's just a good dude.

That's a problem for this book BECAUSE the only new quest characters are Relg and Taiba and literally no one cares. That entire subplot and Maragor could have never existed and it wouldn't matter. And I get what he's doing, but there are reasons I prefer the Malloreon and part of it is that the subplots are better connected to The Great Purpose of Things. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
Eindelijk begint Garion over zijn krachten en lotsbestemming te leren (dat had al in boek 1 moeten gebeuren, niet halverwege de serie).

Een domme einde. De slechte tovenaar die zich door een beginners-foutje vernietigd.

3 Sterren omdat dit verhaal me weer een paar uur bezig heeft gehouden, maar had minder moeten zijn. Wie weet is boe 4 beter dan deze.

EdwinKort | Jul 4, 2018 |

Reggiani, CesareCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shapiro, ShellyCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Dorothy, who has the enduring grace to put up with Eddings men, and for Wayne, for reasons we both understand but could never be put into words.
Being an Account of how Gorim sought a God for his People and of how he found UL upon the sacred Mountain of Prolgu.
- based upon The Book of Ulgo and other fragments

At the Beginning of Days, the world was spun out of darkness by the seven Gods, and they also created beasts and fowls, serpents and fishes, and lastly Man.
Her Imperial Highness, Princess Ce'Nedra, jewel of the House of Borune and the loveliest flower of the Tolnedran Empire, sat cross-legged on a sea chest in the oak-beamed cabin beneath the stern of Captain Greldik's ship, nibbling thoughtfully on the end of a tendril of her coppery hair as she watched the Lady Polgara attend to the broken arm of Belgarath the Sorcerer.
ISBN 0345468643 is for Pawn of Prophecy, not Magician's Gambit.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345335457, Mass Market Paperback)

Ce'Nedra, Imperial Princess of Tolnedra, had joined a dangerous mission to recover the stolen Orb that supposedly protected the West from the evil God Torak. And somehow, she found herself feeling quite tender for Garion, the innocent farm boy, who would be forced into the strange tower in the center of all evil to retrieve the Orb by himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

Garion, a simple farm boy, was going to a strange tower to face a powerful evil magician. He was aided by master sorcerer Belgarth and his daughter, the arch-sorceress Polgara.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,087,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible