Spiel der Magier: Die Belgariad-Saga, Bd. 3…

Spiel der Magier: Die Belgariad-Saga, Bd. 3 (edition 1993)

by David Eddings (Author)

The Belgariad is an epic fantasy of immense scope, telling the tale of struggles between ancient Gods and mighty Kings, and of men in strange lands facing fated events, all bound by a prophecy that must be fulfilled. Ce'Nedra, Imperial Princess of Tolnedra, was confused. Everyone knows the tales of the Orb protecting the West from the evil God Torak are just silly legends. But here she is, forced to join a dangerous quest to recover that stolen Orb.… (more)
Member:juemka
Title:Spiel der Magier: Die Belgariad-Saga, Bd. 3
Authors:David Eddings (Author)
Info:Bastei Lübbe (1993), 352 pages

Work Information

Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

English (47)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (54)
Magician’s Gambit is the third of five books in David Eddings’ Belgariad series. I enjoyed this at the same level as the previous book.

This is the first book that adds another POV character, Ce’Nedra, the girl who joined their party in the previous book, although her POV doesn’t get too many pages. I enjoyed seeing a different POV, although she can be annoying at times. Garion, on the other hand, seemed a little less annoying in this book than in the previous two. I continue to be exasperated with some of the obviously necessary information that Wolf and Aunt Pol hold back. For example, maybe if they had let the party know they were traversing an area filled with quicksand, everybody would have been more precise about making sure they followed the exact path they were being led on! Also, I’m pretty sure their poor horses went in places that no horse has ever gone before. I had to laugh occasionally at all the unlikely places they dragged their horses.

So there are still a lot of little annoyances here and there, but I also continue to enjoy the story, the characters, and the banter between them. This one had an abrupt ending. There was a major accomplishment at the end, but it ended almost immediately after that with the party still in danger. I think I actually jumped a little when I turned to the next page and was unexpectedly faced with the author’s photo. I had known I was near the end, but I was expecting a little more, and I was startled to see a face on the page when I’d turned the page eagerly expecting more words. Fortunately I have the next book ready to go on my Kindle! ( )
  YouKneeK | Oct 24, 2021 |
Many people think David Eddings is overly formulaic which he is a bit but since I enjoy the tale he tells I do not mind reading it over again. His characters always have great humor at their core and you cannot beat a good epic tale for entertainment value. This particular book is one of my favorites by him. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
A 4 star read for me.
A lot of fantasy folk who are into the "shiney and new" type fantasy will never understand why I am giving this hokey little story high ratings. Personally, this is the type of story that drew me back into the genre. Straight forward, action packed and characters that you get very attached to. I am really enjoying the series, and intend to move forward.

With this installment the group of adventurers has expanded, and it appears that all parties needed for fulfillment of The Prophecy are in place. The part that each of them will play is becoming a little bit clearer, but still a lot of questions to be answered.

Pure escapism and fun! ( )
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |
This was the weakest of the Belgariad books so far. Most of the book seemed like a rambling Dungeons and Dragons game filled with random encounters and new, made-up monsters described on the spot and forgotten about just as quickly. There was a smattering of character development, the introduction of a few new party members, and a short but satisfying showdown.

I'm not really sure why the book was titled Magician's Gambit. There wasn't much of a gambit at all. Perhaps David Eddings should have named this book, "A Chorus Line of Gods and Random Monsters." At least then I'd know what I was going to run into.

The series still has life in it, though, and I'll press on. Here's to hoping book 4 is better than book 3. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
If I have to read another description of Ce'Nedra's "tiny hands" or pretty much anything about how she thinks Garion is such a nice boy, I might throw this book across the room. Except now that I'm three books in, I have to finish the series. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |

Reggiani, CesareCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shapiro, ShellyCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Dorothy, who has the enduring grace to put up with Eddings men, and for Wayne, for reasons we both understand but could never be put into words.
Being an Account of how Gorim sought a God for his People and of how he found UL upon the sacred Mountain of Prolgu.
- based upon The Book of Ulgo and other fragments

At the Beginning of Days, the world was spun out of darkness by the seven Gods, and they also created beasts and fowls, serpents and fishes, and lastly Man.
Her Imperial Highness, Princess Ce'Nedra, jewel of the House of Borune and the loveliest flower of the Tolnedran Empire, sat cross-legged on a sea chest in the oak-beamed cabin beneath the stern of Captain Greldik's ship, nibbling thoughtfully on the end of a tendril of her coppery hair as she watched the Lady Polgara attend to the broken arm of Belgarath the Sorcerer.
ISBN 0345468643 is for Pawn of Prophecy, not Magician's Gambit.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,459,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible