Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

Magician's Gambit (edition 2000)

by David Eddings

Member:evareads
Title:Magician's Gambit
Authors:David Eddings
Info:Transworld Pub (2000), Paperback
Tags:fantasy

Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

English (36)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (43)
This is the third book of a pentology. It is important for me to note that before writing this review I have read all five books. Not all of my reviews for the five books results in 5 stars, only the first three. I gave the fourth book 4 stars and the final book only got 3. As a result, I have given the entire series only 4 stars.
The building crescendo continues in this book with a final battle where the goal of the mission is within grasp. The conflicts in this book are quite good and the climactic ending is epic. In truth, if the author had ended this as a trilogy with book I would have been more than satisfied. ( )
  MichaelDrakich | Jan 8, 2019 |
The thing is nothing happens in this one until the last 10 pages.

The second thing is that Eddings is clearly realizing who his standouts are. They got to go on to the Malloreon except for Barak. Silk? His Gary Stu, totally going on Quest #2. Ce'Nedra? Coming along. Polgara and Belgarath and Garion? Come on, of course. Beldin gets the equivalent of five minutes of screentime and steals that entire section of the novel from Aldur, so of course he comes along on the next one. Errand is a living MacGuffin, but even by this point Eddings clearly knew he was doing a sequel series, hence all the mysterious hints. Durnik doesn't get quite the fun that the above characters get, but like with Errand, I think Durnik was meant to be static for plot purposes for this series and he comes across as a good guy. It's not like he tells Polgara "but I'm such a nice guy, why won't you be with me?" Everyone knows, but he's not a Nice Guy nice guy, he's just a good dude.

That's a problem for this book BECAUSE the only new quest characters are Relg and Taiba and literally no one cares. That entire subplot and Maragor could have never existed and it wouldn't matter. And I get what he's doing, but there are reasons I prefer the Malloreon and part of it is that the subplots are better connected to The Great Purpose of Things. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
Eindelijk begint Garion over zijn krachten en lotsbestemming te leren (dat had al in boek 1 moeten gebeuren, niet halverwege de serie).

Een domme einde. De slechte tovenaar die zich door een beginners-foutje vernietigd.

3 Sterren omdat dit verhaal me weer een paar uur bezig heeft gehouden, maar had minder moeten zijn. Wie weet is boe 4 beter dan deze.

EdwinKort | Jul 4, 2018 |
Listening to a classic fantasy story that I head read multiple times was certainly an interesting experience. It took me some time to get used to the pronunciations used but narrator soon captured me in this world again and I might even have enjoyed this more than all the times I have read this one.

5 Stars for a great listening experience. ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
I truly enjoyed this, enough so that as I finished this book, I immediately started and finished the next book [b:Castle of Wizardry|645023|Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)|David Eddings|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320402551s/645023.jpg|1808841].
And considering how the story flows from one book right into the next, I am having a hard time remembering what happened in each book.

But I really enjoyed this. So there is my indpeth review :) ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Reggiani, CesareCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwinger, LaurenceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shapiro, ShellyCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Dorothy, who has the enduring grace to put up with Eddings men, and for Wayne, for reasons we both understand but could never be put into words.
Being an Account of how Gorim sought a God for his People and of how he found UL upon the sacred Mountain of Prolgu.
- based upon The Book of Ulgo and other fragments

At the Beginning of Days, the world was spun out of darkness by the seven Gods, and they also created beasts and fowls, serpents and fishes, and lastly Man.
Her Imperial Highness, Princess Ce'Nedra, jewel of the House of Borune and the loveliest flower of the Tolnedran Empire, sat cross-legged on a sea chest in the oak-beamed cabin beneath the stern of Captain Greldik's ship, nibbling thoughtfully on the end of a tendril of her coppery hair as she watched the Lady Polgara attend to the broken arm of Belgarath the Sorcerer.
ISBN 0345468643 is for Pawn of Prophecy, not Magician's Gambit.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345335457, Mass Market Paperback)

Ce'Nedra, Imperial Princess of Tolnedra, had joined a dangerous mission to recover the stolen Orb that supposedly protected the West from the evil God Torak. And somehow, she found herself feeling quite tender for Garion, the innocent farm boy, who would be forced into the strange tower in the center of all evil to retrieve the Orb by himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:59 -0400)

Garion, a simple farm boy, was going to a strange tower to face a powerful evil magician. He was aided by master sorcerer Belgarth and his daughter, the arch-sorceress Polgara.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,826,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible