I See the Promised Land: A Life of Martin…

I See the Promised Land: A Life of Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Arthur Flowers

One of the most distinctive portraits of the civil rights movement and Martin Luther King I have ever seen with stunning illustrations by a Bengali artist and a poetic narrative that captures nuances of African storytelling traditions. Not suitable as an introduction to King but a wonderfully unique presentation. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Z saw this at the library today and recognized the art via his beloved version of Sita's Ramayana. We started reading it this evening . . . be prepared for no-holds-barred conversations about racism and slavery and violence and social justice, some of which is presented in stark terms. Not for all kids.

Finished this 9/6 . . . I was surprised how much Z liked it and how often he'd pull it out after lunch for me to tackle a few pages. There are certainly uncomfortable bits (much like our too-recent history in our nation) . . . and I got pretty choked up on the last few pages.

I'm guessing that this will be a springboard to watch some some of King's speeches and to talk more about non-violent and violent protest both here and abroad. ( )
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
This graphic novel biography of Martin Luther King, Jr. tells the story by blending oral storytelling tradition with the Patua scroll painting of India. If that sounds strange, I will say that the format takes some getting used to but is really an excellent use of the graphic novel format. I have little enough of an art background to comment on the illustrations, but the colors chosen and the use of white-on-black to quote from King's speeches or highlight a point is extremely well done.

I chose to read this soon after seeing a History Channel overview of King's life on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day this year. I'm glad I had that as a background, because this biography is not one I'd recommend reading as a first exploration of King's life and works. While a short glossary in the back reminds you about historical references such as Reconstruction, the NAACP, and the Black Panthers, this is a brief overview of the many nonviolent events in which King was involved that does not give an in-depth look at any one of them. Quite frankly, I would've been a little lost had it not been for the History Channel. While it didn't add much new information, I enjoyed the storytelling format once I got used to it. I only wonder what King would have thought to the reference of "the Gods" having an impact on his life and his Fa (I cannot find a definition for this or I'd provide it, but from the context I'd probably call it "fate" or "destiny") - but again, this was part of the storytelling device. I think it would make a great read-aloud with middle or high schoolers studying the 1960s. ( )
  bell7 | Feb 6, 2011 |
A myth-making take on King’s life that has both emotional and intellectual impact, the Flowers/Chitrakar collaboration supplies fresh color and richness to the oft-told history of this game-changer. The deceptive yet appealing simplicity of the bright, rounded figures turns King’s myth again for a new season. Designed for adults but fine for teens and up; recommended for all libraries. Be sure to display this along with Ho Che Anderson’s King: A Comics Biography of Martin Luther King, Jr. (Fantagraphics, 2005) for Black History Month.
added by sduff222 | editLibrary Journal, M.C. (Jan 15, 2011)

Describes the apartheid South in Martin Luther King's time, which in many ways was not very different from the early days of slavery, with descriptions of the Montgomery Bus Boycott, the formation of civil rights groups, and mass movements against segregation.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,022,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible