The Song of the Bird by Anthony de Mello

The Song of the Bird (1982)

by Anthony de Mello

English (5)  Spanish (2)  All languages (7)
Excellent little book ( )
  ReneePaule | Jan 23, 2018 |
Anthony de Mello was a religious master of the twentieth century teaching profound spiritual truths through stories and discourses. This book, one of his early works was first published in 1982 in India. The present volume is a reprint edition that targets the American reader. It contains 124 stories, both ancient and modern, from a variety of cultures, countries and religions. The author takes credit only for stringing them together and appending a comment to most of the stories. These comments are often insightful and provocative. The book as a whole is an enjoyable reading, illustrative of profound realities.

deMello has taken 124 ancient and contemporary stories from various religious traditions and recorded them in a sequence that leads the reader to greater spiritual growth. Most stories are followed with a commentary that provide insight for further reflection. In the preface, deMello instructs the reader to read each story three times before moving on to the next, taking time to reflect on its inner depth and meaning.
I followed deMello's instruction and confined my reading to one parable or tale each morning. Throughout the day it would return to me, either to amuse, enlighten or both.. Interestingly, I was already familiar with many of the tales but viewed them differently in the past. deMello has generated a refreshing, sometimes novel, interpretation that always inspires.

(Amazon reviewers)
  societystf | Apr 22, 2016 |
The entire book blew my mind. ( )
  godinpain | Mar 29, 2013 |
The Song of the Bird is a storybook. Collected in this book are stories after stories that make you think more than anything else. Rather than saying that one group, one tradition, has the best understanding of the Divine, Mello brings together stories from a variety of traditions and simply asks the reader to reflect on them. As a leader of worship in many settings I have used this book to illustrate stories and get people to stretch their minds just a little. ( )
  cbradley | Feb 15, 2011 |
A fantastic source of parables and zen-like meditation material. Pick one of the pages - still down; read super slow; and stop. Invaluable. ( )
  KiwiPete | Oct 5, 2009 |
Jedermann liest gerne Geschichten, und dieses Buch ist voll davon: buddhistische, christliche, Zen-, chassidische, russische, chinesische, Hindu- und Sufigeschichten, alte und moderne.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385196156, Paperback)

"Every one of these stories is about YOU." --Anthony de Mello

Everyone loves stories; and in this book the bestselling author of Sadhana: A Way to God shares 124 stories and parables from a variety of traditions both ancient and modern. Each story resonates with life lessons that can teach us inescapable truths about ourselves and our world.

De Mello's international acclaim rests on his unique approach to contemplation and ability to heighten self-awareness and self-discovery. His is a holistic approach, and in the words of one reviewer: "his mysticism cuts across all times and peoples and is truly a universal invitation." The Song of the Bird uses the familiar yet enduring medium of the story to illustrate profound realities that bring us in touch with the problems and concerns of daily life, as well as with our common spiritual quest. The aim is to develop the art of tasting and feeling the message of each story to the point that we are transformed. "Let the story speak to your heart, not to your brain," the author directs. "This may make something of a mystic out of you."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:30 -0400)

"Every one of these stories is about YOU." --Anthony de Mello Everyone loves stories; and in this book the bestselling author of Sadhana- A Way to God shares 124 stories and parables from a variety of traditions both ancient and modern. Each story resonates with life lessons that can teach us inescapable truths about ourselves and our world. De Mello's international acclaim rests on his unique approach to contemplation and ability to heighten self-awareness and self-discovery. His is a holistic approach, and in the words of one reviewer- "his mysticism cuts across all times and peoples and is truly a universal invitation." The Song of the Bird uses the familiar yet enduring medium of the story to illustrate profound realities that bring us in touch with the problems and concerns of daily life, as well as with our common spiritual quest. The aim is to develop the art of tasting and feeling the message of each story to the point that we are transformed. "Let the story speak to your heart, not to your brain," the author directs. "This may make something of a mystic out of you." Enhanced by lovely ink drawings, this is indeed a volume to treasure, to share, and to read many times over, for it is everyone's best companion on the road to spiritual growth.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,311,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible