Through Grandpa's Eyes (Reading Rainbow…

Through Grandpa's Eyes (Reading Rainbow Books) (edition 1983)

by Patricia MacLachlan (Author)

A young boy learns a different way of seeing the world from his blind grandfather.
Member:JamieHadady
Title:Through Grandpa's Eyes (Reading Rainbow Books)
Authors:Patricia MacLachlan (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (1983), Edition: Reprint, 40 pages

Through Grandpa's Eyes by Patricia MacLachlan

I knew I would like this book just after hearing the first page. I like that her grandfather being blind wasn't the first thing mentioned and that it described the way he experiences thing as simply different. This book is filled with the different ways the grandfather experiences life. I like that the grandson tries to do all his activities with him. I think it would be good to have the students try along with the characters just to experience it, it could help give them perspective and maybe treat blind classmates and others kinder. I also enjoy that this book doesn't handicap the grandfather, he lives his life just as we do. ( )
  Haley_dennis | Apr 27, 2020 |
This story is beautiful and amazing about a young boy and his grandpa. John's favorite house was his grandpa's because he can see it through his eyes. John believes his friend Peter and Maggie have fine houses, but his grandpa's house is the best. His grandpa is blind, so he can't see the house the way John does. His grandpa has a different way of seeing things. John closed his eyes by seeing the world through his other senses, which are smell, touch, taste, and hear just like his grandpa. His grandpa would wake up every morning for breakfast. John is amazed by his grandpa's daily activities because he wonders how he does all those activities. I love how John and his grandpa played the cello, and they went outside to listen to the birds. At the end of the story, I love it when his grandpa tries to turn off the light, instead, he turns it on. John smiled and waited until he left to turn it off. I believe the theme of this story is love and admiration because the grandson has so much love for his grandpa, he loves visiting him, and he admires what his grandpa do. Blindness didn't stop the grandpa from doing activities in his daily life. I know the children would enjoy this story. ( )
  EveYoung | Apr 23, 2020 |
This was a very touching butt. It was very sweet how John, the little boy, would close his eyes and see things the way his grandpa sees them by listening. The book makes sure to show his grandpa in a very good light by showing how independent he is. He even got things right just by listening when John got them wrong seeing. I would definitely have this book in my classroom and read it to my students. However, it is a long book so I would have to read the book in sections at different times for the younger students. ( )
  cnemetz | Nov 7, 2018 |
John loves spending time at his grandparents house. He especially loves spending time with his grandfather. Grandpa is blind, but he is still able to do things that John can do. Grandpa can see through his other senses. Grandpa uses his other senses to see and he explains to John that is how he sees. John tries to see through Grandpa's eyes by using his other senses more intensly. The book explains how the blind use their other senses to see. I really enjoyed the bond between the little boy and his grandparents. ( )
  SarahTrenticosta | Apr 20, 2018 |
Through Grandpa's Eyes is a book about a young boy who is spending time with his grandparents. His grandpa happens to be blind and John, the young boy, is learning how grandpa lives his day to day life. Throughout the book, many times John says he's "looking through grandpa's eyes." That means he closes his own eyes and seeing the world through his other senses like, hearing, smelling, touching and tasting, because that is what grandpa has to do. In the beginning of the book, John claims his grandpa's house is the best because he gets to see it through his grandpa's eyes and now we can see why it is the best. John learned t0 love the house from using his other senses and John learns a lot from his visually impaired grandpa. He gets to see the world in a completely different way and that's the point of the book. Some people might think it would be terrible if they suddenly became visually impaired, but John thinks it's kind of cool because he likes to view things through his grandpa's eyes. The book shows us how visually impaired people live their life completely different from people who can see. The book sheds much positivity for people who are blind and that it may not be easy to do somethings, but it can be done. This would be a book I would choose to share to a class of students. I believe it shows: Promote positive images of people with disabilities and show their strengths and abilities along with their disabilities. I really liked this book because of the relationship between John and his grandpa. ( )
  cmsmit12 | Mar 23, 2017 |
For my father, Philo,
and my son, John,
each of whom has taught me
to see the world
through his eyes.
P.M.

For Chris
D.R.
Of all the houses that I know, I like my grandpa's best. My friend Peter has a new glass house with pebble-path gardens that go nowhere. And Maggie lives next door in an old wooden house with rooms behind rooms, all with carved doors and brass doorknobs. They are fine houses. But Grandpa's house is my favorite. Because I see it through Grandpa's eyes.

On John's visits to Grandpa's house, his blind grandfather shares with him the special way he sees and moves in the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,099,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible