Murder by Mocha (A Coffeehouse Mystery) by…

Murder by Mocha (A Coffeehouse Mystery) (edition 2012)

by Cleo Coyle (Author)

Fiction. Mystery. HTML:

Clare's Village Blend coffee beans are being used to create a new java love potion, a "Mocha Magic Coffee," billed as an aphrodisiac. The product, expected to rake in millions, will be sold exclusively on Aphrodite's Village, one of the most popular online communities for women. But at its launch, one of the website's editors is murdered. Clare is convinced a bitter killer wants the secret formula. Can she catch who's gone loco for mocha?

.… (more)
Member:aussiegrl
Title:Murder by Mocha (A Coffeehouse Mystery)
Authors:Cleo Coyle (Author)
Info:Berkley (2012), 384 pages

Work Information

Murder by Mocha by Cleo Coyle

I didn't like this one quite as much as others in the series. There was SO MUCH going on--too many subplots, and the main plot was pretty convoluted too. It seemed a little more graphic, too, than I'm used to. As usual, I loved the New York City setting: social events at Rockefeller Center and a harbor cruise boat; other events at a confectioners' trade show and a college on Long Island. Not a very strong sense of the season, which is unusual in this series. ( )
  Beth3511 | Apr 10, 2021 |
Great mystery, a little violent towards the end. ( )
  AnaKurland | Jan 30, 2016 |
Perhaps I shouldn't have picked a mid-series novel for my first foray into the cozy mystery genre.

For established fans, this book probably works just fine. But the author needed to work harder to grab first-time readers.

The main characters didn't engage me and the long list of female secondary characters (most of whom only seemed present so they could get bumped off) confused me. The final reveal left me underwhelmed, as it was clear from early in the book that the murderer had changed identity... hence they could plausibly have been any character of the right age, still left alive at the end. Most tellingly, I found the pace dragged - an entire chapter was spent setting up for a party - and by 75% of the way through, I realized I didn't much care whodunnit: I just wanted to finish and move on to my next read.

If you already love Cleo Coyle, go right ahead. Otherwise, this may not be the place to start. Two-and-a-half stars.

1 vote paulinewiles | Jan 26, 2015 |
I enjoy the characters, but this was just okay.
  Liz_57 | Jul 26, 2013 |
The Village Blend has gone into business with an old friend of Madame's to create a chocolate, coffee, herbal aphrodisiac. It is a tame enough idea but when they launch the product sparks fly, and not just the romantic kind. What could be so important that people are ending up dead?

I love this series. I can smell the coffee and taste the chocolate. Reading them makes me feel all New Yorky. You know, like I am there. This is the 10th book in the series so I have grown to love the regular characters but Coyle keeps adding new folks to keep it interesting and we keep learning more about the regulars as well. Unlike most cozies, we always get a glimpse into the killer's thoughts. That is an interesting twist. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Jun 8, 2013 |

Fiction. Mystery. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,399,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible