A Solitary Blue (The Tillerman Series #3) by…

A Solitary Blue (The Tillerman Series #3) (original 1983; edition 2003)

by Cynthia Voigt (Author)

1,2992011,308 (4)26
Jeff's mother, who deserted the family years before, reenters his life and widens the gap between Jeff and his father, a gap that only truth, love, and friendship can heal.
Member:mrsbitnerpcs8
Title:A Solitary Blue (The Tillerman Series #3)
Authors:Cynthia Voigt (Author)
Info:Simon Pulse (2003), 256 pages

Work Information

A Solitary Blue by Cynthia Voigt (1983)

I read this a long time ago and didn't like it is a pre-teen. I think I might have to read it again to see what I think since it has such high ratings.
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
This is another of those books that I come back to as a "comfort food" every few years.

-----------------------------

“A Solitary Blue” is a companion novel to “Dicey’s Song,” Cynthia Voigt’s most well known work. It follows the childhood and coming of age of Jeff Greene, a young boy abandoned by his mother and left to live with his father, an emotionally distant professor.

Jeff is a somber, responsible young boy, and growing up without a mother, becomes only more so as he reaches adolescence and rarely interacts with his father. One day, his mother, Melody, contacts them and asks Jeff to come visit her for the summer. Over the course of the summer, Jeff falls in love with his mother, hoping and wishing that she will ask him to stay with her permanently, but at the end of the season, he is sent back home to his father. Over the next few years, Jeff begins to realize how Melody has manipulated them, and slowly begins to communicate and develop a relationship with his father.

As with many older books, the plot is somewhat slow but rich — Voigt captures Jeff’s introspective manner and thinking, and beautifully describes the places where he lives and passes through. Towards the end of the book, the events overlap with those of “Dicey’s Song,” so readers are introduced to Dicey and Mina from Jeff’s perspective. This book has a similar feel to some of Madeleline L’Engle’s works, though the settings and issues addressed are different. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I read Homecoming and Dicey's Song several times each as a kid. I decided to reread them both, and the version our library had has the "Tillerman Cycle," listed on the back. I had NO idea the story went on from the first two and am kind of glad since it means I get to dive back in to the world.

Jeff's story and how it intertwines with the Tillerman's is so fantastic. I really enjoyed that it took so many pages for the Tillermans to show up so I could feel like I fully knew him. ( )
  Hilaurious | Jun 2, 2020 |
An interesting coming of age book. Young Jeff is abandoned by his mother and left with his father, the Professor, when he is in second grade. They live together and although his father is a distracted, distant father, he does love Jeff but Jeff longs for his mother. When his mother does want him to spend a summer with her when he is maybe 11, he enjoys that time together and falls in love with her totally. The next summer is another story. His mother's true character shows and she spends not even a day with Jeff the entire summer. Jeff matures throughout the book and as he and his father change, the mother actually stays the same selfish woman the whole time. She never matures. ( )
  LilQuebe | Feb 20, 2020 |

Cynthia Voigtprimary authorall editionscalculated
Slagt, MachteldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Available online at The Internet Archive:

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,382,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible