Grave Dance

by Kalayna Price

Series: Alex Craft (2)

While raising the dead to solve murders, grave witch Alex Craft is challenged by a new case that takes her to a nature preserve south of Nekros City where only fragments of corpses are left behind by a serial killer born of the darkest magic.

English (38)  Piratical (1)  All languages (39)
This is the second book in the series and another great read. This is a great paranormal book and a real page turner. I still love the main character and she is still bad ass. ( )
  payday1999 | Dec 8, 2020 |
This one has a case of only left feet showing up in the morgue. There isn’t enough of a body for Alex to raise the shade to find out who they are. Several things happen in this book that are direct outcomes of her actions in the previous book. What did surprise me was someone who finds out a part about herself and yet doesn’t bother to educate herself about it and gets her into trouble. Pretty much every character introduced in the previous book is here again except for her sister. She does find out about her mom during the investigation. Falin and Death both want her affection and by the end of the book you can understand why neither is going to work out. I’m interested to see what happens with the Fae and Alex but the potential love story isn’t doing much for me. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |
Whenever the first book in a series is really good, I am both leery and excited to start the second. It is hard to imagine that the next book can be just as good, if not better, than the first. And there are plenty of series where the second book simply falls short. This series, is not the case

From beginning to end, Kalayna Price pulls the reader into Alex's story and makes you want to never stop reading. Who is Alex really? Is she human? Is she fae? Or both? Who is Falin? What is going on with Death? Is her old best friend the one causing all the trouble?

I absolutely loved the plot twist at the end of the book. I adore books where I am surprised. If I can figure out what will happen, I get bored. This is one of many reasons why I loved this book.

The only part that I am not fond of is the love triangle going on with Falin and Death. Alex needs to make up her mind and stop leading them both on. Although she is not actively leading them on, by not telling them to stop, she is encouraging their infatuations. She needs to decide who she has feelings for and let that be the end of it.

5/5 stars for me and I cannot wait to read the third book! ( )
  Michelle_Boyea | Jun 7, 2019 |
Though Alex's love life in sort of in disarray, professionally she is doing better. When her friend John the homicide detective calls her in to consult on a case where all he has is left feet from a number of victims. Unfortunately, one foot isn't enough for Alex to manifest the shade and find out what happened.

Besides her new talent of ripping holes in reality is making her too popular with the fae. The Winter Queen wants to attach her to her court. Meanwhile, Alex's friend Rianna comes to her with a request. As a changeling, she must stay in faerie and she sort of belongs to Alex. When Alex defeated the body stealer in the previous book, she inherited all of his property including Rianna, a castle, and a brownie housekeeper. However, she has to go to faerie to claim it.

She has also brought a problem to Death and the other soul collectors. It seems there is a rogue soul collector in the left foot part of the story. He is collecting souls before the people die. What he wants them for and how he is using them are a mystery that Alex needs to solve. Her relationship with Death is also causing complications. He is interested in a romantic relationship which is being heavily discouraged by the other soul collectors.

Her relationship with Falin is also going through a stressful time. She didn't see or hear from him for a month after their first adventure. And when he does return he has been mortally injured. He is trying to keep her away from the Winter Queen but she needs to go to faerie to rescue her best friend who has disappeared there. In faerie, it is confirmed that Falin is the Winter Queen's assassin and was once her lover. She isn't willing to let him go and he is bound to follow all of her orders.

This was an entertaining urban fantasy story. I like the characters. I like that Alex is developing new powers which make her stronger and which make her life much more complicated. I'm eager to find out what is next for her and the men in her life. ( )
  kmartin802 | Feb 27, 2019 |
I think my favorite thing about the Alex Craft series, is just how awesome Kalayna Price makes the world look like. I wish I book marked a place in the book, where Alex is going through a Fae doorway, and (please excuse my not exact quote) she describes it as seeing the world and in one second everything smears like a kid playing in paints not yet dry, and then everything go back but as a new world. Idk, that seems so simple but to me, it was kicka$$. On a side note, the storyline itself, had Alex constantly in danger again, while she tries to solve the case involving several left feet found near a river. Not only that, Alex's grave magic has been changing since the blood moon, she is starting to be more fae like and because of her issues, she's ripping open holes that are spots where all realities have been merged. Alot on her plate? Why yes, not only that, Falin comes back and Alex doesn't know if she can trust him since he is the Winter Queen's Assassin and lover and all. Not to mention, Death told her that he loves her last book.

Alex is one hell of a bad ass, and I so can't wait for the next book. ( )
  RozzieReads | Jun 5, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

To Kist,
who keeps me fed and watered, and who
is always quick with the emotional duct tape
when everything is falling apart
When I first straddled the chasm between the land of the dead and the world of the living, I accidentally raised the shade of our recently deceased Pekinese.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 172,072,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible