Vespers Rising

by Rick Riordan, Gordon Korman, Peter Lerangis, Jude Watson

Series: The 39 Clues (11)

Fourteen-year-old Amy Cahill and her younger brother Dan thought they could return to their regular lives when they found the 39 clues. But the Vespers, powerful enemies, will stop at nothing to get the clues. And with the Vespers rising, the world is in jeopardy.

I didn't like this as much as I did previous books in the series. The book is divided into four sections; one about the beginning of the Cahill/Vesper war, a view into who Madeline Cahill was, a mission a thirteen year old Grace undertakes and the continuation of Amy and Dan's story. I thought I'd enjoy delving into the history of the family but honestly, the first two parts kind of dragged.

On the other hand, I enjoyed the last two. The mission Grace undertakes was interesting and I enjoyed the ingenuity she uses to hide the ring. She breaks her arm and needs a cast, so when she finds the ring, she digs out some of the cast, hides the ring and then reapplies the plaster bandages to hide what she did. And the final section is full of the action packed plot I came to expect of the series. Except this time, the enemy isn't family and they have no qualms about killing Cahills who get in their way.

3.5 stars, rounded up to 4. ( )
  funstm | Feb 14, 2023 |
In Vespers Rising, a brand new 39 Clues novel, we learn the hidden history of the Cahills and the Vespers, and the last, terrible legacy Grace Cahill leaves for Amy and Dan.
  BLTSbraille | Oct 21, 2021 |
It was good and all but I wish you could read more about the adventures they went on and what happen.it was good but I WANT MORE INFO!!!!!!! ( )
  kenna2001 | Jan 25, 2021 |
The short-story travel-through-time history of the Vespers worked pretty well, I thought. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
I was excited when I realized that the 39 Clues continued in a new series with the Cahills vs. the Vespers. However, I realize now that this first book is just a bridge between the old series and the new series - giving background of how the Cahill branches separated and what they're fighting for now.

Good bridge, not great book. ( )
  cyderry | Jun 23, 2018 |

To all the young Cahills who helped with the hunt -- RR
For the fans, past, present, and future -- PL
For Rose Brock -- GK
For David, Rachel, and Mallory, the best editorial team in the world --JW
Damien Vesper didn't plan on killing anyone today.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,172,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible