Isla and the Happily Ever After

by Stephanie Perkins

Series: Anna and the French Kiss (3)

9106516,716 (4)30
Isla has had a crush on classmate Josh since their freshman year at the School of America in Paris, but after a chance encounter over the summer in Manhattan they return to France for their senior year where they are forced to confront challenges every young couple in love must face.

“I’m…getting there. I’m beginning to think that maybe it’s okay to be a blank canvas. Maybe it’s okay that my future is unknown. And maybe,” I say with another smile, “it’s okay to be inspired by the people who do know their future.”
“It goes both ways, you know.”
I link his icicle fingers through mine. “What does?”
“Artists are inspired by blank canvases.”

This was definitely my favorite book out of the whole series. The ending left me wanting more.

The character development of both Josh and Isla was clearly seen. Josh became more perceptible and Isla became more sensitive to Josh, not to bring herself down and bring others around her down in the process as well.

Sometimes, people and friends just have an undeniable chemistry and I love how all the three stories connected to each other because it just left me wanting more.

I found myself silently screaming and rolling around my bed in multiple scenes and I was taken by surprise on how much I ended up liking this book. This is a good cliche book that doesn't feel cliche at all. ( )
  themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
4 STARS

I think I just fell in love... *sigh*
This book was just so ADORABLE, the main characters were soo cute!
of course the story had its ups and down, it wasn't a perfect one.
but well no one's perfect. ( )
  Leila.Khouane | May 24, 2020 |
This felt very rushed, but it was cute ( )
  Linde1 | Apr 30, 2020 |
I posted this review on my blog, Rachel Reading. If you like this, go check it out for more!

So this book took me forever to get through, relatively compared to "Lola" and "Anna" and I'd read someone elses review first and I knew this one was going to be different. I do enjoy how Perkins writes similarly to Sarah Dessen where the characters all exist in the same universe, and unlike other people I was NOT ready to say goodbye to these characters.

But I wasn't ready for Isla either. Again, I thought it dragged and was kind of annoyed by parts of it, but I thought it was sweet and I just wanted to be a passerby watching all of this happen in real time.

But then the breakup scene happened and I shamelessly started sobbing. I realized that I see so much of myself in Isla, that it was throwing me off. I have a tendency to not really like characters that resemble myself much, which is a psychological thing I should figure out at some point, but everything she said in the limo scene with Josh just shattered me, because it's exactly how I feel about relationships and even the thought of being one. It petrifies me, and it broke everything to read a character saying the exact same things I've felt.

This is why I read, this is why so many of us on this site read, for moments where a character has a breakthrough that you realize that you needed just as much. Or just to know, if even for a brief moment, that someone else in this world, even if it's just a fictional character has spoken the words you've always wanted to say, or felt the feelings you thought you were alone in feeling. Maybe this is a silly book for me to see that in, but in my mind, there is no silly book, especially when it gives you an experience like this.

"You know exactly who you are. You know how to be yourself, but you also know how to be a different kind of yourself on television and society...I don't know any of that. I've never cared about anything like you've cared about your work. I don't even belong to a single country. I'm nobody. I'm nothing." ( )
  rachelreading | Apr 20, 2020 |
My girl Calliope won the gold! So proud of her.

On the other hand, I don't know what I expected of this book but surely it was not this. I feel kind of disappointed because I thought it would be more fairy-like because of title, you know? But it was quite the opposite, very intense and mature and adult-like (which I have no problem with, it was actually very refreshing). And I really just started enjoying it when Josh and Isla broke up and they were all hurt and angsty... those last chapters were the best. I'm just a little biased on this one, I liked Josh with his art and such, but Isla was not I what I thought she would be like and I don't know...

And St. Claire. Gosh, he's perfect. I loved getting a sneak peak at his and Anna's live through Josh. ( )
  hinfatuation | Dec 4, 2019 |

Stephanie Perkinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andrews, LindseyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sasaki, ToshiCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jarrod, best friend & true love
It's midnight, it's sweltering, and I might be high on Vicodin, but that guy--that guy right over there--that's him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,889,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible