SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Bag of Bones by Stephen King

Bag of Bones (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Stephen King (Author)

9,638137591 (3.71)2 / 189
On falling in love with a woman half his age, novelist Michael Noonan of Maine is drawn into a custody battle for the woman's daughter. The father-in-law, a nasty millionaire, is trying to take the girl away and to complicate matters malevolent spirits are at work. Part love, part ghost story.
Member:Erikapayne
Title:Bag of Bones
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Scribner (1998), Edition: 1st, 544 pages

Work Information

Bag of Bones by Stephen King (1998)

Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: It's not related to the Dark Tower Series, but I think it's kind of written in the same fashion as Wizard and Glass.......and little bit of a romance theme if you will.
    Lisey's Story by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Very similar themes.
    Hay alguien ahi: El chico que no miraba a los ojos by Jorge Magano (nosoyretro)
    Gerald's Game by Stephen King (beckylynn)
    beckylynn: Not exactly a ghost story like Bag of Bones, but thrilling to the end. Starts off fast (however does have sexual content).

English (131)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (137)
  johncadamssf | Nov 10, 2021 |
Ein solider King ( )
  Ellemir | Nov 9, 2021 |
Where to start with this one... Like all of SK's books (it seems like) the story started in a seemingly different direction than the end of the book. I really enjoyed reading it for the most part. Like i've said before it seems like the beginnings are very interesting, middles have a ton of details and then the endings kind of lack something for me in his books - this was no exception.

Main characters are Mike Noonan and Kyra Devore (at least the ones who survive) who may be relevant in the future. Book deals mainly with the haunting of his house (Sarah Laughs) as well as the death of his wife, his encounters with Madde Devore (mother of Kyra) and dealing with Maddie's father in law who is the crazy old man seeking to take Kyra away from Maddie.

It's about half ghost story and half about the court case and then another half about Sarah Tidwell and what happened to her back in the 30's which is what's causing all of the spooky things going on at Mike's house. I thought the book was captivating - much more so than the last book i read The Regulators. Much easier to care about the story and hoping that it progressed.

It does connect with Ralph Roberts (from Insomnia) quickly as this is another book which is partially based in Derry Maine. From my notes it says that King says this belongs in the expanded dark tower world and has similar themes with the rest of the series - which is something I agree with. ( )
  jhavens12 | Sep 1, 2021 |
DNF - good hook, but boring and annoying main character, and no interesting conflicts. 200 pages out of 700 and I was still wondering what it was all about
  exhypothesi | Mar 7, 2021 |
This was not one of my favorite Stephen King books. I was not excited about picking it up, and was very easy for me to put it down. The characters connected with me, but in not a good way. I didn't like anyone. That is unusual as Stephen King characters, especially the kids, can be very likeable. Oh well, I will read another Stephen King someday.
9236 members; 3.71 average rating: 1/15/2021 ( )
  mainrun | Mar 1, 2021 |
Violence, natural and supernatural, ensues as past and present mix, culminating in a torrent of climaxes that bind and illuminate the novel's many mysteries. From his mint-fresh etching of spooky rural Maine to his masterful pacing and deft handling of numerous themes, particularly of the fragility of our constructs about reality and of love's ability to mend rifts in those constructs, this is one of King's most accomplished novels.
added by Lemeritus | editPublishers Weekly (Aug 31, 1998)

From Kirkus Reviews
Leaving Viking for the storied literary patina of Scribner, current or not, King seemingly strives on the page for a less vulgar gloss. And he eases from horror into romantic suspense, while adding dollops of the supernatural. The probable model: structural echoes of Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca do sound forth, although King never writes one paragraph herein to match du Maurier's opening moonscapes of Manderley. What comes through nevertheless is a strong pull to upgrade his style and storytelling in this his 50th year. Yes, he actually does write better if with less energy and power than in Desperation (1996). In fact, attacking the race problem in lily-white Maine, he even assumes an almost Dreiserian seriousness in his final paragraphs. Well, the story: romantic-suspense novelist Michael Noonan, who summers in Castle Rock on Dark Score Lake, falls into a four-year writer's block when his wife Johanna dies of a brain blowout. Now 40 and childless, Mike has salted away four extra novel manuscripts in his safe-deposit box, one of them 11 years old (shades of Richard Bachman!), and keeps up a pretense of productivity by publishing a ``new'' novel each year. Meanwhile, he finds himself falling for Mattie Devore, a widowed mother half his age. Mattie's late husband is the son of still-thriving half-billionaire computer king Max Devore, 85 years old and monstrous, who plans to gain possession of Mattie's three-year-old daughter, the banally drawn Kyra. Mike's first big question: Did Johanna cuckold him during his long hours writing? If so, will her character reverse our understanding of her, as does Rebecca de Winter's? And how can he help Mattie fight off Max and keep Kyra? The supernatural elements, largely reserved for the interracial climax, are Standard King but fairly mild.
added by kthomp25 | editKirkus Reviews

Yes, Bartleby, stay there behind your screen, thought I; I shall persecute you no more you are harmless and noiseless as any of these old chairs; in short, I never feel so private as when I know you are here.

"Barleby,"

Herman Melville
Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again...As I stood there, hushed and still, I could swear that the house was not an empty shell but lived and breathed as it had lived before.

Rebecca,

Daphne Du Maurier
Mars is heaven.

Ray Bradbury
This is for Naomi.

Still.
On a very hot day in August of 1994, my wife told me she was going down to Derry Rite Aid to pick up a refill on her sinus medicine prescription -- this is the stuff you can buy over the counter these days, I believe.

Set in the Maine territory King has made mythic, Bag of Bones recounts the plight of forty-year-old bestselling novelist Mike Noonan, who is unable to stop grieving even four years after the sudden death of his wife, Jo, and who can no longer bear to face the blank screen of his word processor. Now his nights are plagued by vivid nightmares of the house by the lake. Despite these dreams, or perhaps because of them, Mike finally returns to Sara Laughs, the Noonan's isolated summer home. He finds his beloved Yankee town familiar on its surface, but much changed underneath - held in the grip of a powerful millionaire, Max Devore, who twists the very fabric of the community to his purpose: to take his three-year-old granddaughter away from her widowed young mother. As Mike is drawn into their struggle, as he falls in love with both of them, he is also drawn into the mystery of Sara Laughs, now the site of ghostly visitations, ever-escalating nightmares, and the sudden recovery of his writing ability. What are the forces that have been unleashed here - and what do they want of Mike Noonan?

(0-684-85358-7)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,367,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible