dismiss

Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews

Magic Breaks

by Ilona Andrews, Andrew Gordon (author's real name), Ilona Gordon (author's real name)

Series: Kate Daniels (7)

"As the mate of the Beast Lord, Curran, former mercenary Kate Daniels has more responsibilities than it seems possible to juggle. Not only is she still struggling to keep her investigative business afloat, she must now deal with the affairs of the pack, including preparing her people for attack from Roland, a cruel ancient being with god-like powers. Since Kate's connection to Roland has come out into the open, no one is safe-especially those closest to Kate. As Roland's long shadow looms ever nearer, Kate is called to attend the Conclave, a gathering of the leaders from the various supernatural factions in Atlanta. When one of the Masters of the Dead is found murdered there, apparently at the hands of a shapeshifter, Kate is given only twenty-four hours to hunt down the killer. And this time, if she fails, she'll find herself embroiled in a war which could destroy everything she holds dear"--… (more)
Recently added byelam11, chris-hanson, wildwily, Lulu_Valhalla, JacobsBeloved, avonar, Kalal, Azalia07, private library

I enjoyed "Magic Breaks" because it moved the series along, had some original magic in it, had great fight scenes and kept me guessing about what was going to happen next but...

...well it was a little weird and I ended up with a feeling that this was a book that entertained me and disappointed or frustrated me at the same time.

The first piece of weirdness was the authors telling me in the introduction that this wasn't the last book in the series. Huh?

Then they told me they were already under contract to write more. OK. So why the warning? Having read the book, I can why (although I'm not going to tell you - no spoilers here), but I think the warning wasn't needed. If this had been the ending of the series then anti-climatic would have been an understatement.

Most of the weirdness was around Kate. For the first part of the book, she's left to lead the Pack alone, a thankless task that she is becoming rather disenchanted with. It was good to see Kate in action on her own but it really showed that she's not cut out for politics or building a power base on any other basis than being able to kill anyone who comes against her. You can feel that she's in some kind of transition but it's hard to see from what to what.

Then there's the fact that her blood magic and her parentage both seem to be known by just about everybody. They were the deep dark secrets she was desperately trying to keep in earlier books and now she's been outed and the world hasn't ended. Kate's power, the stuff she inherited from her big bad world-eating father is growing, making her less and less human and, in some ways, less and less Kate.

The parts of the book that I enjoyed most were in more traditional territory: Kate getting into traps and fighting against impossible odds. Kate and Curran taking on the world, solving puzzles, taking risks and slicing the enemies apart.

Then we got to he big climatic ending and everything twisted out of shape.

Kate goes all cold-blooded avenger, not only killing her enemy but punishing her along the way with an efficiency that was chilling. Kate's enemy was not a nice person and you could argue she deserved what she got but that doesn't make me like Kate any better for being able to mete out that kind of punishment. This whole thing was made worse because the punishment was a display put on for her father's benefit.

I can't make my mind up if the end of the book was a clever way of re-configuring all of the players so that the struggle changes from an unwinnable final conflict into something more ambiguous and complex or whether the whole thing was just anti-climatic

The quality of the writing and the momentum of the series carried me through. Maybe book eight will help me decide if I still care what happens to Kate. ( )
  MikeFinnFiction | May 16, 2020 |
So I'd actually like to give this a 4.5. The story itself is fine and it is a suitable "end" to the original Roland Arc. It was a real "page turner"--technically I was listening on CD--and it wasn't clear until the end how it all was going to turn out. And mostly it didn't fell unreasonable. Highly recommended but...

...and here's the spoilers. The story starts with a long introduction that felt unnecessary, as it seemed to be designed to help people who'd never read another book in the series. Perhaps a noble gesture, but this is the 7th and last book in the series, a pointer to the earlier books might have been better. Then it has a long prologue narrated by Barabbas that also serves as a catch-up. Then the real story starts and has plenty of obvert catch-ups as well. Definitely didn't need all 3. Also in one of the prologues, the author says definitively that this while "wrapping up" the arc in one sense, that the main characters would return in later novels. Certainly didn't ruin the story, but seemed very unnecessary. (Put after the story?) ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
I don't think that anyone at the beginning of these series would have imagined an end like this.
OK, I know it's just the conclusion of the arc but still...

I loved it pure and simple! Especially the note at the cookie jar at the end :D ( )
  Fidelias | Jan 9, 2020 |
I like this series a lot. This is pretty close to the plot line conclusion I was hoping for, though it got there with a little more ick than I was expecting. ( )
  CiaraCat | Jan 9, 2020 |
Finally the shoe drops in this book that was waiting to fall ever since the end of the previous book. I won't give it away but anyone who has read the series knows exactly what Kate fears the most and it has come to pass. Most of the story has Curran out of town and Kate trying to solve a murder under a short time span to prevent a war between the People and the Pack. Even knowing it is a setup from Hugh to discredit the Pack, Kate scrambles to try and find a solution that will work for the Pack and still comply with the terms of the deal. The second half is her dealing with the one thing she has tried to avoid her entire life. The book was really good and I did like the forward that let the reader know that yes, the main story arc is at an end but this isn’t the end of the books. Not a book for a new reader but a complete payoff for fans of the series ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jan 6, 2020 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gordon, Andrewauthor's real namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gordon, Ilonaauthor's real namemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Raudman, RenéeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rexford, JustinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shutterstock.comCover imagessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anastasia and Helen
My name is Barabas.
"Your sword is made out of your grandmother’s bones?"
"Okay, I see how it sounds weird when you say it in that tone of voice . . ."
-- chapter 15

No matter how much the paranormal politics of Atlanta change, one thing always remains the same: If there' s trouble, Kate Daniels will be in the middle of it. As the mate of the Beast Lord, Curran, former mercenary Kate Daniels has more responsibilities than it seems possible to juggle. Not only is she still struggling to keep her investigative business afloat, she must now deal with the affairs of the pack, including preparing her people for attack from Roland, a cruel ancient being with god-like powers. Since Kate's connection to Roland has come out into the open, no one is safe - especially those closest to Kate. As Roland' s long shadow looms ever nearer, Kate is called to attend the Conclave, a gathering of the leaders from the various supernatural factions in Atlanta. When one of the Masters of the Dead is found murdered there, apparently at the hands of a shapeshifter, Kate is given only 24 hours to hunt down the killer. And this time, if she fails, she' ll find herself embroiled in a war that could destroy everything she holds dear.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,523,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible