A Change in the Lighting

by Amy Witting

First published in 1994, this critically acclaimed novel deals with a woman's readjustment after her husband leaves her. Describes her changing relationship with her children, and the revelation of new aspects of her character.

I found this book to be rather uninspiring and un-engaging, but I did manage to read it through to the end. Although it was set in Sydney, in almost exactly the same area as another book I read & reviewed recently (Misconceptions by Sophie Townsend), it seemed to be set in a very different world to the one that Townsend & I inhabit. Admittedly, the author was getting a bit long in the tooth when she wrote it (published in 1994 when the author was in her late 70s), but it seemed to be more like a mid-20th century English story: somewhat old-fashioned and quaint. I couldn't relate to either the mother or her children, and the emotions reported to be felt by the characters seemed contrived and artificial. I can't really figure out what it is about the writing that makes it not work for me....maybe it's that there isn't enough description of their inner thoughts and feelings? Oh well, Amy Witting died in 2001; perhaps that's a good thing. I won't be searching out her back-catalogue for another dose. ( )
  oldblack | Jan 18, 2010 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,557,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible