Snowdrops by A.D. Miller

Snowdrops (original 2011; edition 2012)

by A.D. Miller (Author)

8636316,508 (3.3)1 / 130
Witnessing the progression of regional corruption in his work as a British lawyer in early 2000s Moscow, Nick Platt rescues two sisters from a purse snatcher and pursues a glamorous romantic relationship with one of the sisters before he is asked to help with a dubious family endeavor.
Member:alanca
Title:Snowdrops
Authors:A.D. Miller (Author)
Info:Anchor (2012), Edition: Reprint, 272 pages
Rating:***

Snowdrops by A. D. Miller (2011)

Recently added byMM_Jones, rena75, swilson
    Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith (Limelite)
    Limelite: Shares the same atmospherics and feeling of foreboding while more action-packed and less cerebral than "Snowdrops."
    The Tiger's Wife: A Novel by Téa Obreht (shaunie)
    The Earthquake Bird by Susanna Jones (jayne_charles)

English (62)  German (1)  All languages (63)
True to life fictional recreation of the inherent criminal society of Moscow in the early 2000s, everyone out to get for themselves. The protagonist in the story is a low level British lawyer. The writing meant to echo Russian novels with lavish descriptions of daily life. ( )
  MM_Jones | Jan 16, 2020 |
Nick has a confession. When he worked as a high-flying British lawyer in Moscow, he was seduced by Masha, an enigmatic woman who led him through her city: the electric nightclubs and intimate dachas, the human kindnesses and state-wide corruption. Yet as Nick fell for Masha, he found that he fell away from himself; he knew that she was dangerous. SOFT
  JRCornell | Jan 30, 2019 |
Tagging is designed to save us additional thought time. Instead of thinking about every detail of the one, we gather individuals into groups, and when we come across a particular person, we immediately know what we think and feel about it. This is probably the explanation for many of the readers of this book who thought it was a "waste of time" or "a bad book." They expected to read a thriller, and for them, this book didn't fulfill that promise. It is true that there are no bodies and detectives in this book, but I found the plot exciting even above average.

People who move to live and work in a country that is not their state usually run away from something. They don't always know what is it that they are running away of, but you can ever see the dust trail left by the feet in their flight. Nick, The hero of this book, escapes from a dull life in a suburb of England, from a family that he does not particularly like, from parents who mostly embarrass him, from a lack of friends and deep connections. Nick is a lawyer whose youth have passed without pleasure and is approaching middle age and abandoning his ambitions. The law firm where he worked in London placed him in Moscow for a year or two while giving him a vague temptation to return to his office as a partner when he returned. He helps close deals (legal doubt) in Russia in the early 2000s, where there seems to be nothing legal and no law that its long-suffering residents will not be willing to go through.

More than being a thriller, Snowdrops is a psychological description of the atmosphere that prevailed in Moscow in the early 2000s.

The plastic ability to describe the moral decline and indifference to the pain of others is indeed described with high precision and create the tension necessary to capture the attention of the reader. As the writer's first book, the plot is flowing, although the direction is clear and the result of the events is obvious.
Moscow's ferocious charm is hypnotized and gives a unique and exciting taste to the reader.

1 vote mazalbracha | Jan 12, 2019 |
3 stars is generous. Really more like 2 1/2. A disappointing beginning to my annual Bookerthon.

I disliked the protagonist, and although the plot was interesting enough, I thought a lot of the foreshadowing was too heavyhanded. But the biggest problem I had was with the cliche-ridden portrait of Russia and the stereotypical treatment of the characters of Masha and Katya. (I will say that the protagonist proved to be somewhat more layered in the closing chapters of the book than he had seemed earlier, so there was some depth there.)

Not sure why this made the Booker longlist. It's well-written, but nothing about it struck me as particularly special. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
I read this expecting it to get better all of the way through, and then it finished. ( )
  boobellina | Jul 12, 2017 |
Snowdrop. 1. An early-flowering bulbous plant, having a white pendent flower. 2. Moscow slang. A corpse that lies buried or hidden in the winter snows, emerging only in the thaw.
For Arkady, Becky, Guy, Mark and especially Emma.
I smelled it before I saw it.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,575,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible