The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt…

The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt (Works of G. A. Henty) (original 1888; edition 1998)

by GA Henty, JR Weguelin (Illustrator)

Member:wunderlong88
Title:The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt (Works of G. A. Henty)
Authors:GA Henty
Other authors:JR Weguelin (Illustrator)
Info:Preston-Speed Pubns (1998), Library Binding, 339 pages
Collections:Children's Books
Tags:literature, world history, egypt, #histfiction, $blogegypt

The Cat of Bubastes by G. A. Henty (1888)

Ga Henty's books are full of historical information, woven into an adventuresome story. This one we did as a read aloud (which is quite an accomplishment, as it is long) but it was worth the effort. We learned more about Egypt reading this story than many other books combined. We've read several Henty books and this ranks as one of my favorites.
  wunderlong88 | Sep 14, 2018 |
Review: The Cat of Bubastes by G. A. Henty. This is a wonderful “Children’s Classic” written over a hundred years ago. There is no copyright date but the author was born in 1832 and died in 1902. I thought it was well written and I loved the characters. I really didn’t know at first that it was a children’s book until I read about the author. The story is written for any age with adventure, coming of age, culture, and people of various races as far back as Moses. The setting is in Egypt and described with as much authenticity to keep the reader captivated. Each chapter gives a great amount of details and interesting facts about Egypt woven into an exciting and suspenseful story that any reader would enjoy. The story is about a teen-age Rebu Prince, Amuba who lost his Kingdom, his father, his family, and his home to the Egyptians in a battle to take over the kingdom. They took many of the Redu people back to Egypt to use as slaves. However, the Prince and one of his father’s best companions, Jethro both ended up being chosen by the High Priest of the Temple of the Gods as a companion for his teen-age son Chebron, and a protector for his daughter. One day Chebron and Amuba took their bows and arrows out to the area where the hens, geese, ducks and other animals were migrating and hid in the bushes to find out what has been scaring and killing some of the flock. They heard a loud screech and noticed a large black raven swooping down in attempt to catch his prey. Both boys stood at a stance with their weapons ready and shot their arrows toward the bird. Amuba’s arrow found its mark and the bird dropped to the ground. Amuba was elated that he hit his mark until he looked over and saw Chebron in a state of panic pointing to the shed that housed some of his sister’s pets. Stuttering and crying Chebron managed to explain to Amuba that his arrow veered off a branch and struck his sister’s favorite and sacred cat. In Egypt a few animals are considered Gods of worship and this cat was highly sacred and was chosen as the one special blessed cat of Egypt. If it was known that he killed the cat he would be denounced and most likely be killed. Once this happens the decision was made by his father for Amuba, Jethro and Chebron to go away as far as they could. Before they even got out of the city the news had spread….The story moves on with plenty of adventure and chaos…. One moral concept I got from the story was that no matter what religion, race, sex or god many people gave a helping hand and were considerate of each other to the very end….but most stories has a villain…. ( )
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
I read this book when I was really young and I loved it. The sacred cat of Bubastes has accidentally been slain; now young Chebron must pay for the offense with his own life, as this is the law of the Pagans in Egypt, 1250 BC. Chebron, the son of a high Egyptian priest, flees for his life, taking his sister Mysa, one of the household slaves Amuba, and several companions with him. They escape through closely guarded Egyptian exits only to find themselves in unfamiliar and dangerous lands inhabited by a very different culture of people. Along the way, the roving band of refugees encounters and befriends a Hebrew girl, who exposes them to very strange ideas, including the worship of "one true God." ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
This is the story of Amuba, Prince of the Rebu, who is captured in war by the Egyptians and made the slave of the high priest of Osiris. The priest is a kind man, and Amuba becomes a companion to the priest's son. The first half of the book moves slowly, introducing the main characters and describing various aspects of Egyptian culture. The story picks up when the priest's son accidentally kills a cat that is intended to become the sacred cat of Bubastes. The high priest is killed, and his son and Amuba, along with the high priest's daughter and Hebrew servant must flee Egypt. They decided to return to the home of the Rebu and to try to establish Amuba as king. Crazy adventures follow, including a rather forced and out-of-place cameo by Moses, who is still living as an Egyptian prince at the time of the story.

I can see why I loved this book as a child--it has lots of high adventure in exotic locales. But as an adult, I also see some flaws. I think Henty made up the Rebu people, as I haven't been able to find any reference to them, at least not on the internet. According to Henty, the Rebu live on the west coast of the Caspian Sea, which would place them in modern-day Iran, Azerbaijan, or Russia. The book speaks of Persians, but makes it clear that the Rebu are not Persian. Did the Egyptians conquer as far northeast of their own land as the Caspian Sea? I'm not sure that they did, but I'm no expert in Egyptian history, either.

Another problem I have with the book pertains to religion. Several of the characters come to the conclusion that there is one true God, but that He can be worshipped through the Egyptian gods, because each of these gods represents an attribute of the true God. If this is the case, then why did God prohibit idol worship throughout the Old Testament?

Finally, the Moses character says that he is called "Moses" because that name was found pinned to his basket when the princess found him floating down the Nile. According to the Bible, Moses is so-named because he was drawn out of the water. Historical and biblical accuracy is important, Mr. Henty. ( )
  casvelyn | Apr 20, 2013 |
We listened to an audio book of this tape. It was excellent. Tied in with Egypt, the Bible (during the time of Moses). Very interesting. ( )
  MommyWithLittles | May 31, 2008 |

G. A. Hentyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Weguelin, J. R.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Originally published in 1888 this historical novel tells of the young prince Amuba who is enslaved by a capturing army and finds friendship in the house of an Egyptian high priest where be becomes the companion of the high priest's son Chebron. When Chebron accidentally kills the cat designated as the sacred cat of the great temple of Bubastues the two must flee to Amuba's homeland of Rebu. Set in 1250 BCE this story offers an evocative look at the ancient Egyptian world, fascinating an accurate details about Egyptian religion and geography, the methods by which the Nile was used for irrigation, and the ways the Egyptians made war and were prepared for burial are interwoven into the narrative.

A young Egyptian accidentally kills a sacred cat and must flee from an angry mob. Set in 1250 B.C., the time of Moses, this thrilling adventure also features fascinating details about Egyptian religion and geography, the methods by which the Nile was used for irrigation, and how the Egyptians were prepared for burial.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:02 -0400)

In 1250 B.C. the teenaged son of the Egyptian high priest sets off a series of harrowing events when he accidentally kills the sacred cat of Bubastes and, accompanied by his sister and two foreign slaves, embarks on a dangerous journey to find safe haven beyond the borders of Egypt.… (more)

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100585, 1400108691

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,589,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible