Smokin' Seventeen: A Stephanie Plum…

Smokin' Seventeen: A Stephanie Plum Novel (edition 2011)

by Janet Evanovich

Member:wyogal11
Title:Smokin' Seventeen: A Stephanie Plum Novel
Authors:Janet Evanovich
Info:Bantam (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 320 pages

Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich

English (133)  Piratical (1)  All languages (134)
Read 4-5 of Plum series when it first started. Liked first 3-4 then all of a sudden realized this series suffered from the same "disease" as a certain other series I'd stopped reading--the same book was written over and over and over to the point where reader began to feel "I've read this before" then thinking, well, maybe not, but . . . series writers can have this kind of a problem and I'm not sure how those who somehow write a series and don't have this problem. Thinking about it these things occurred to me . . . either main character is so developed and continues to develop that one doesn't really notice "its a repeat"; the plots are so compelling and complicated that they hold readers interest although there is little change in the "character" (the main protagonist); or the development of the protagonist in this series is what is repeated again and again, and again with almost exactly the same words with little growth, attitude, interesting personal developments, etc., etc. Boring. If I were to chose what is the most possible of these ideas, I'd have to say the plot and "movement" of the plot forward is weak and just not enough to carry the boring protagonist along with it. Good basic writing, however, and I know they are terribly popular, but popular isn't always interesting. I now know why I did not pursue and collect for my personal library this particular series. ( )
  SmithfieldJones | Dec 9, 2018 |
So much better than the last few have been! I was so happy that she returned to the writing that made the series so good-funny, fast paced, and enjoyable! ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
I love Stephanie Plum... but this series is now stale. ( )
  LadyVivace | Jul 13, 2018 |
After seventeen-plus of these Stephanie Plum novels, I'm getting a little tired of reading them, and it's hard to escape the feeling that, by this point, maybe Evanovich was getting a little tired of writing them. It does feel like she's reaching a bit for wacky situations to throw in here. It also feels like she's trying to make up for the plot of this one being even thinner than usual by throwing in more sex. (And, yes, even more really skeevy behavior from men to make me feel increasingly uncomfortable, too.) It did at least have some mildly amusing lines, maybe even made me chuckle just a little once or twice, so it's not awful, but overall... meh. ( )
  bragan | May 22, 2018 |
Life is never dull for bounty hunter Stephanie Plum. Dead bodies cropping up, some with her name on them. Torn between two hunky guys; Morelli the cop and Ranger the security expert. Her mom trying to be a matchmaker by inviting an old classmate over for meals. Morelli's old world grandmother has put "The Eye" on Stephanie with the curse of the vordo. Yup, lots going on.

I've not read a lot of this series, but I can say that I have enjoyed the ones I have read. Fast moving action, lots of crazy things happening and a strange batch of characters make for some hilarious reading.

For me this is in the quick read category. Kind of like a madcap mystery with some good laughs. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Dec 27, 2017 |

Janet Evanovichprimary authorall editionscalculated
King, LoreleiReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thanks to Shirley Eng for suggesting the title for this book.
My Grandma Mazur called me early this morning.

Where there’s smoke there’s fire, and no one knows this better than New Jersey bounty hunter Stephanie Plum. Dead bodies are showing up in shallow graves on the empty construction lot of Vincent Plum Bail Bonds. No one is sure who the killer is, or why the victims have been offed, but what is clear is that Stephanie’s name is on the killer’s list.
Short on time to find evidence proving the killer’s identity, Stephanie faces further complications when her family and friends decide that it’s time for her to choose between her longtime off-again-on-again boyfriend, Trenton cop Joe Morelli, and the bad boy in her life, security expert Ranger. Stephanie’s mom is encouraging Stephanie to dump them both and choose a former high school football star who’s just returned to town. Stephanie’s sidekick, Lula, is encouraging Stephanie to have a red-hot boudoir “bake-off.” And Grandma Bella, Morelli’s old-world grandmother, is encouraging Stephanie to move to a new state when she puts “the eye” on Stephanie.
With a cold-blooded killer after her, a handful of hot men, and a capture list that includes a dancing bear and a senior citizen vampire, Stephanie’s life looks like it’s about to go up in smoke.
(The hardcover edition of Smokin’ Seventeen contains two smokin’ hot stickers inside!)

Where there's smoke there's fire, and no one knows this better than New Jersey bounty hunter, Stephanie Plum. The bail bonds office has burned to the ground, and bodies are turning up in the empty construction lot. To make matters worse, Stephanie is working out of a motor home she shares with a dancing bear, and Joe Morelli's old-world grandmother has declared a vendetta against her. And just when Stephanie decides it might be time to choose between the two men in her life, Morelli and Ranger, a third man from Stephanie's past moves back to Trenton...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,225,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible