To End All Wars: A Story of Loyalty and…

To End All Wars: A Story of Loyalty and Rebellion, 1914-1918 (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Adam Hochschild

World War I stands as one of history's most senseless spasms of carnage, defying rational explanation. In his riveting narrative, Hochschild brings it to life as never before while focusing on the long-ignored moral drama of the war's critics, alongside its generals and heroes.
Member:ricgerace
Title:To End All Wars: A Story of Loyalty and Rebellion, 1914-1918
Authors:Adam Hochschild
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2011), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 480 pages
Tags:History, World War I

To End All Wars: A Story of Loyalty and Rebellion, 1914-1918 by Adam Hochschild (2011)

Great one-volume history of WW1. It was good enough to give me both far more knowledge of the war as well as a knowledge that I know next to nothing about the war. It also has that flaw that one-volume histories of massive events can have, of the analysis not being as well done as the research. ( )
  nicholasjjordan | Nov 13, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this book. It takes us through the years leading up to the War to the end of the War by looking at multiple British people. It includes military and political leaders, socialists, women's rights advocates, imperialists and anti-imperialists, and just about everyone in between. The overall tone of the book is that the anti-war people were the real heroes and that the pro-war people were generally not smart enough to see how bad either they were or the war was. I learned a great deal about many people whom I did not know a lot about. I would recommend this because it is a great overview of the time period without being a military history. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Haha guys I'm a history nerd but I've never actually finished a history book until now. Sue me. (And this is for a class I'm taking.)

That being said, that gives a lot of credit to how easy this is to read. It's structured more like a narrative than a history book; World War One doesn't even start until around a hundred pages in, because it's introducing all the characters. This isn't a comprehensive history of the front lines, though there is information about how it was. It's about all the players in the anti-war movement, some famous, some of which are not. Hochschild cleverly ties everyone together, showing how close the upper-class society of Britain was.

The meat of the books jumps back and forth from the Western Front to what's going on in Britain with those protesting against the war, and it was really interesting to learn about it. I, like many other people, pretty much only saw the war as Western Front and people liked to fight and it was heartbreaking and stuff like that so reading this book was really eye-opening.

The epilogue and final chapter gave me chills, and perhaps it's because of the nature of the war itself, but it was really well-written. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
Using the history of the British conscientious objectors movement as a framework, Adam Hochschild’s To End All Wars is a succinct, readable overview of Word War I. The coarse inhumanity of The Great War was largely kept from the British public and the attitudes of the war’s bellicose supporters, like Rudyard Kipling, went principally unquestioned. The few public figures who spoke out against the war, Bertrand Russell and E. D. Morel among them, did so at great personal cost and, often, their freedom. While not as vivid or engaging as some of Hochschild’s other works (Bury the Chains, King Leopold’s Ghost), To End All Wars is a solid, thoughtful history of The Great War seen through an unhonoured lens. ( )
  rabbit.blackberry | Oct 19, 2017 |
  rabbit.blackberry | Oct 19, 2017 |
De leeuwentemmer John S. Clarke is één van de vele kleurrijke figuren die tot leven worden gebracht in “To End All Wars,” het recentste boek van Adam Hochschild over de Eerste Wereldoorlog. Hochschild schreef eerder over de Stalinperiode in de Sovjetunie en – bij ons wellicht beter bekend: King Leopold’s Ghost A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa. Nu zijn over dat eerste wereldconflict bibliotheken volgeschreven, maar de benadering van Hochschild is, althans voor een leek als ondergetekende, volslagen nieuw. Blijkt immers dat er in Groot-Brittannië ondanks het welbekende algemene enthousiasme voor de oorlog ook hardnekkig verzet was, hoofdzakelijk maar niet exclusief in linkse kringen en onder de suffragettes, de beweging voor vrouwenstemrecht.

For Tom Englehardt, analyst of empire, emperor among editors
(Introduction) An early autumn bite is in the air as a late, gold-tinged late afternoon falls over the rolling countryside of northern France.
The city had never seen such a parade.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,523,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible