Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles) by Kevin…

Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles) (edition 2011)

by Kevin Hearne (Author)

Member:Jenson_AKA_DL
Title:Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles)
Authors:Kevin Hearne (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2011), 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Druids, Urban Fantasy, Library

Hounded by Kevin Hearne (Author)

English (233)  German (2)  All languages (235)
Okay, so in fairness I can't give this book more than three stars, as I wasn't sure I even liked it until near the end. I didn't dislike it...I just wasn't sure what I thought entirely. I think part of it might have been that I don't read a lot of books from a male POV, for SURE not in this genre.

Hounded is a fun UF without all of the ooey gooey PNRs sometimes give you. If you want steamy sex...not so much here. But, the author did some fun stuff with history and god pantheons as well as a very funny Irish Wolf Hound named Oberon. There are some good(ish) witches, some bad witches, a vampire and a pack of wolves, but they're not really the major players here. Several gods/goddesses and a Druid, that's your main cast of characters, and the author makes it a fun ride. I very much intend to read on in the series.

Although this book, for the most part is testosterone dominated, there is a plot twist toward the end that makes me feel confident that the subsequent books are going to have a significant shot of estrogen. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Overall I have to say that I enjoyed this book. Enough that I will be reading at least one more before I make up my mind completely. I like the general idea of the story. The main character is a likable person although I have some gripes about him. Specifically I have a bit of difficulty with a 2000 year old druid behaving like a somewhat immature American youngster. I know that the book states that he tries to put on an act to “blend in” and not be discovered but still. I would have expected more experience and dignity, especially when dealing with various not-so-human foes.

Nonetheless, as I wrote, the character is likable, he does not run around and feel sorry for himself as a lot of authors make their main character do, his dialogues with his Irish wolfhound are at times quite entertaining and when the action starts he has no qualms about doing some head-chopping with that sword of his.

The story is fairly okay although a lot of characters and, especially, various non-human entities and gods are thrown at the reader in a fairly short time. It is the first book in a series so one have to expect a bit of stage setting and character introduction but it did feel a bit overwhelming. It was like all the ammunition was expended in the first couple of chapters. A bit more mystery and slower pace of the revelations would have made the good stuff last a bit longer.

The Iron Druid himself is of course not the only character in the book. I have to say that I liked both Atticus’ lawyers (yes lawyers, it is awful I know) as well as his old widow neighbour with a rather hilarious dislike to British people. In general I found this book a fairly enjoyable one although there were a few downs as well as ups when reading it. It is the first book in a series so it is not very surprising that it wobbles around a bit before settling in. I am looking forward to read the next one though and see if the series settles in on the up-side or down-side of things. ( )
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
Hounded by Kevin Hearne is an immensely enjoyable read. I often found myself stifling a laugh-out-loud moment while reading this over Chocolate Frosty in the middle of Wendy's. At the same time, the material was very believable in the sense that the author came across as very well rad in the area of myth and folklore. Even if he isn't (which I suspect he is), the material flowed smoothly over the points that were foreign to me in a way that I didn't struggle with.

I a story that you are supposed to fall instantly into a comfortable pace with, Kevin Hearne made sure there was nary a hiccup.

Great fun to read, fun characters to get to know, I highly recommend this book and can't wait to start reading the next in the series. ( )
  GeroneBlomgren | May 23, 2019 |

GeroneBlomgren | May 23, 2019 |
Hounded is the first book about Atticus O´Sullivan, the last surviving druid. He lives in Arizona and runs an occult bookshop. And when he doesn’t do that, he tries to stay alive since he has been for hunted for centuries by an angry Celtic god that wants a sword he happened to take from a battlefield a long time ago.

Druids, gods and goddesses, werewolves and vampire and, of course, throw it some witches in the story and you have Hounded. And of course, we can’t forget Oberon, Atticus Irish wolfhound. This book is nonstop action from the first page to the last. It was a great read and I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.

I found the book refreshing to read. Nice to follow a druids adventures in an urban fantasy instead of a werewolf, vampire or a witch. Of course, all of those are in the book, but I don’t mind. A druid Is something new. And I like Atticus, I like his humor; “Monty Python is like catnip for nerds. Once you get them started quoting it, they are constitutionally incapable of feeling depressed.” This book has some great lines! ( )
1 vote MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |

Hearne, KevinAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Look, Mom, I made this!
Can we put it on the fridge?
There are many perks to living for twenty-one centuries, and foremost among them is bearing witness to the rare birth of genius.

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old - when in actuality, he’s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he’s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power - plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish - to kick some Celtic arse and deliver himself from evil.

Atticus O'Sullivan, the last of the Druids, finds his peaceful life in Arizona shattered by the arrival of an angry Celtic god who wants Atticus's magical sword, forcing Atticus to call upon some unlikely allies for help.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kevin Hearne's book Hounded was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,554,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible