Ayn Rand's Anthem: The Graphic Novel by…

Ayn Rand's Anthem: The Graphic Novel

by Charles Santino (Adaptor), Joe Staton (Illustrator)

Other authors: Ayn Rand (Original author)

It's been a few years since I read the actual book, which I enjoyed. It was a nice refresher to see it in the graphic novel form. There was a minor (or very major) slip up when the author of the graphic novel threw the word "I" into the narration very early on. This is a big no-no to the story line because, as those who know the story will agree, the story is all "We, we, we" until late in the book. But I did my best to overlook that slip and thought the visualization of Anthem was a fun way to look at it. It also makes me want to read the original again.

One more thing of note: I wish that it was in color. It's only really a sketch illustration throughout, and felt lacking, but I'm not graphic novel enthusiast, so I'm not complaining much. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 15, 2015 |
Found this in the ebook offerings of my public library and haven't had the patience to read it any other way. We'll see if I have the patience to read it as a graphic novel. Update: I suspect there was quite a bit of the original text missing, and the images of the graphic novel have a decidedly '70s / Logan Run look in them. All in all, not a bad way to get a quick sense of the book, though. ( )
  esquetee | Nov 22, 2011 |
Santino relates the story in the present tense, robbing some of its mythic feel. Staton’s unvarying three-panel page layouts fail to emphasize the story’s more dramatic moments, and his cartoony style (with monochrome art rendered in uninked, sometimes sketchy pencils) fails to match Rand’s fierce and poetic language. This short Anthem is hardly forbidding as a literary work—readers should stick with the original.

Santino, CharlesAdaptorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staton, JoeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rand, AynOriginal authorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

Read Joe Staton's blogs and other content on the Penguin Community.

The controversial classic work of one individual's will versus the subjugation of society-now available as a compelling graphic novel.

In all that was left of humanity there was only one man who dared to think, seek, and love. He, Equality 7-2521, would place his life in jeopardy. For his knowledge was regarded as a treacherous blasphemy. He had rediscovered the lost and holy word..."I".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:51 -0400)

In a story told in graphic novel format, Equality 7-2521 dares to defy the ideals of collectivism in a futuristic state.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,890,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible