Granta 113 (Granta: The Magazine of New…

Granta 113 (Granta: The Magazine of New Writing) (2011)

A collection of short stories from sme of the most prominent writers in the Spanish language.
Member:pqfuller
Title:Granta 113 (Granta: The Magazine of New Writing)
Authors:
Info:Grove Press, Granta, 256 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:owned-books

Granta 113: The Best of Young Spanish Language Novelists by John Freeman (Editor) (2011)

This is a surprisingly strong collection of short stories, across the board. Granta really uncovered some wonderful new Spanish-language authors to share with us. Although there are many wonderful stories, I think my favorite was the very first one, "Cohiba' - it just flew off the page and put me deep into those places we all go in life where we are trying to learn or experience and are constantly riding the border of danger. It was just a wild reading experience - I couldn't put the story down, and I was a bit anxious to learn what happens. Not all the stories are 5-star, but all are good, and some are great. My only complaint is that were no authors from Central America and it seemed very Argentina/Spain heavy - so I looked forward to the stories set in countries I don't read about all that often. A nod to the translators too. I don't speak fluent Spanish, just a bit here or there, but the stories all felt very natural and I never felt that there was a language barrier, so I believe they did a great job bringing these stories to non-Spanish-speaking folks. ( )
2 vote CarolynSchroeder | Dec 12, 2013 |
“From Borges to Bolaño, the Spanish language has given us some of the most beloved writers of the 20th and 21st centuries. But as the reach of Spanish-language culture extends far beyond Spain and Latin America, and as the US tilts towards a majority Hispanic population, it is time to ask who is next in this exciting tradition.”

This is the first translated issue of Granta’s “Best of young Novelists”, chosen by a panel of six highly distinguished judges we are introduced to a cornucopia of new writing from across the Spanish–speaking world, and in the process signposts a collection of the most promising novelists around today.
All the writers chosen for this book are under thirty five, and have at least one novel, or story collection to their name. From Andres Barba (Spain) to Alejandro Zambra (Chile) this is a fantastic collection of tales with the Spanish language as the link that binds them, this ambitious endeavour unites twenty two writers from eight different countries in a format that allows you to be introduced to them via a short tale

http://parrishlantern.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/very-short-introduction-to.html ( )
  parrishlantern | Jun 29, 2012 |
Highlights:
Seltz - Carlos Yushimito.
In Utah There Are Mountains Too - Federico Falco.
The Cuervo Brothers - Andres Felipe Solano.
Olingiris - Samanta Schweblin.
Ways of Going Home - Alejandro Zambra.
A Few Words on the Life Cycle of Frogs - Patricio Pron. ( )
  Moomin_Mama | Oct 12, 2011 |

Schweblin, SamantaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Solano, Andrés FelipeContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yushimito, CarlosContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zambra, AlejandroContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,199,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible