Naked City

by Ellen Datlow (Editor)

Other authors: Nathan Ballingrud (Contributor), Peter S. Beagle (Contributor), Elizabeth Bear (Contributor), Holly Black (Contributor), Richard Bowes (Contributor)15 more, Patricia Briggs (Contributor), Jim Butcher (Contributor), Pat Cadigan (Contributor), John Crowley (Contributor), Jeffrey Ford (Contributor), Christopher Fowler (Contributor), Caitlin R. Kiernan (Contributor), Matthew Kressel (Contributor), Ellen Kushner (Contributor), Melissa Marr (Contributor), Naomi Novik (Contributor), Kit Reed (Contributor), Lucius Shepard (Contributor), Delia Sherman (Contributor), Lavie Tidhar (Contributor)

Series: World of the Marrok (Fairy Gifts, 13)

5303934,653 (3.34)1 / 19
An anthology of gritty supernatural tales of magic and mischief by leading genre authors includes an original "Harry Dresden" by Jim Butcher, Patricia Briggs' story about a vampire who must save the Fae who lifted his curse, and Holly Black's short pieceabout a rock star who discovers a young woman's unnatural appetites.… (more)

English (38)  German (1)  All languages (39)
As with most anthologies, some stories were great and some were meh. I just doing think I enjoy anthologies all that much jumping from story to story trying to adjust to the new world. By the time I’m into it, it’s over and I’m starting again. ( )
  LenaR0307 | Jan 2, 2021 |
For my Dresden Files readthrough.
10.5 - Curses
  hexenlibrarian | May 19, 2020 |
Found it to be a bit of a slog. A few of the stories didn't have quite enough "city" for my taste...
  treehorse | Nov 7, 2019 |
It is with a heavy heart that I report that I just couldn't finish this. As you might have noticed I truly put time into it. I tried reading it. I tried listening to it. I love Patricia Briggs and Melissa Marr so I was excited to find others like them. I have come to the conclusion that all the stories were best described as noir and that many stories with that kind of background was just too dark for me. I love Urban Fantasy but I have realized that I enjoy some quirky humor as a side dish to what can be dark scenarios. And 20 stories of noir did me in. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Feb 24, 2019 |
"Curses" by Jim Butcher: This is my first (and so far, only) Jim Butcher and somehow I expected more. It was interesting, and everything pulled together in a clever way, but "clever" is about the strongest word I can use. 3/5
"How the Pooka Came to New York City" by Delia Sherman: I love immigration stories, so add some Irish fae to it and a likeable protag and I'm sold. 5/5
"On The Slide" by Richard Bowes: I felt like this was the prologue to a much more interesting story. But the way the main story overlapped with the movie-making was kinda cool. 3/5
"The Duke of Riverside" by Ellen Kushner: Pretty much everything I want from a Riverside story, but I am hugely biased. It was really fun seeing how Alec and St Vier first meet. 5/5
"Oblivion by Calvin Klein": Shopping is sex. Also sex is sex and somehow the Green Man is here. I just...really personally disliked this story. 2/5.
"Fairy Gifts" by Patricia Briggs: If you like Patricia Briggs, you will like this. If you like vampires, you will like this. If you like Patricia Briggs AND vampires, you will REALLY like this. 4/5.
"Underbridge" by Peter S. Beagle: COMPLETELY BELIEVABLE AND COMPLETELY TERRIFYING. 4/5.
"Priced To Sell" by Naomi Novik: At first I was all "an urban fantasy about REAL ESTATE? REALLY? But then it seduced me and was pretty clever and funny. 4/5.
"Guns for the Dead" by Melissa Marr: I'm not really a fan of Marr but this story had a lot of what I like about her (fascinating characters and world-building) and was too short for any of the stuff I dislike about her to bother me for long (hah). It's set in the land of the dead and...yeah it's really interesting, go read it. 3/5.
"And Go Like This" by John Crowley: Hngggggggg I have a lot of negative things to say about this story so I'm just going to hush. Watch me hush. Totally hushed right here. i-just-didn't-like-it-i'm-sorry
"Noble Rot" by Holly Black: I read this right after lunch and WOW WAS THAT A MISTAKE. Pretty gross but a good Holly Black story. 4/5.
"King Pole, Gallows Pole, Bottle Tree" by Elizabeth Bear: A mystery/thriller with ghosts and memory in Las Vegas.
*currently reading* ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
This anthology of short fiction affords a superb sampling of urban fantasy, that popular sf/fantasy subgenre defined in the book’s introduction (which, in all of three pages, is a welcome and helpful, to say nothing of articulate, definition of this subgenre) as a combination of the "often-dark edge of city living with enticing worlds of magic"—with an urban landscape being absolutely crucial to the story. To put it another way (as also expressed in the introduction, that is), "where the story takes place should matter, in some way, to the story."
added by nsblumenfeld | editBooklist

Barber, NicolaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foss, ElizaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Topol, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, Doris and Nathan Datlow, whom I love dearly and who infected me with their love for reading.
The term urban fantasy was originally applied to fantasy written in reaction to the works most popular up to the early 1980's -- high-fantasy, imaginary worlds with medieval trappings.
This anthology contains stories that are part of a series, but the book itself is not part of any series. If you have this anthology and wish to note the series component, please consider entering the relevant story separately.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,485,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible