Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, Book 1) (Anna…

Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, Book 1) (Anna Dressed in Blood Series, 1) (edition 2012)

by Kendare Blake (Author)

Series: Anna (1)

For three years, seventeen-year-old Cas Lowood has carried on his father's work of dispatching the murderous dead, traveling with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat, but everything changes when he meets Anna, a girl unlike any ghost he has faced before.
Member:BrittneySalazar
Title:Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, Book 1) (Anna Dressed in Blood Series, 1)
Authors:Kendare Blake (Author)
Info:Tor Teen (2012), Edition: First, 320 pages

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (MyriadBooks)
    Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore (kaledrina)
    The Restorer by Amanda Stevens (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both novels involve creepy, angry ghosts and the narrator's attempts to deal with them in the tradition of their father's teaching. Anna Dressed in Blood is YA and involves ghost-slaying, while the heroine of The Restorer simply wants the ghosts to ignore her, but there is a similar creepiness about them.… (more)
    Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia (kaledrina)
    Shadowland by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (kaledrina)
    Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (kaledrina)

Full review @ www.coffeeandtrainspotting.wordpress.com ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
It was a name scrawled in blood on yellowed parchment, delivered as if the ghost herself had sent an invitation from beyond the grave. Her name in blood called to him. She would be the next ghost he hunted; she would be the next to die by his hand. Anna.

Like his father before him, Theseus Cassio Lowood, better known as Cas, hunted and killed the dead. But it was only ever the dangerous ghosts, the ones that harmed the living that he went after. He travelled the world seeking only those who were more then just legend or local gossip, he had his sources, knew which were real and which we're just a figment of the imagination. But Anna, being only a name on a page, without even knowing if she was more then just a story, drew him. He knew that he would seek her out, real or no. Because somehow he knew she was real, she had to be, she was bloody real and she was waiting for him.

Anna, dressed in blood with eyes shinning black, is no ordinary ghost. She has killed any and all who have crossed her threshold, sparing no one who has stepped into her home. No one that is until Cas. For some reason Anna doesn't kill him, but Cas, being a ghost hunter, is going to kill Anna. At least that is the plan. But Anna is stronger then he ever imagined. A ghost more powerful, more vulnerable and more sentient then any other he has ever met. She is to be the final test, the last ghost he destroys before he is ready to face the terror that tore his family apart and took his father from him. That is if he survives Anna.

Anna Dressed In Blood is a vicious and bloody murderer, she is also a girl with a cruel and terrible past. Anna is a ghost with blood on her hands, however there is more to this story then just bodies being torn apart, uncommon friendships and dark magic. This is a gruesome and ghastly tale where love creeps up undiscovered until it is almost too late. A ghost story that will have you believing in all manner of horrors that go bump in the night, that conjures fears from the darkness and shadows and that shows that love is as strange as it is wondrous. A well written, engaging tale that will keep you up late into the night. ( )
  LarissaBookGirl | Aug 2, 2021 |
I am giving this 5 stars because I loved it. Plus I found it very creepy. Its easy to read and holds a lot to like. I am very positive that the author is a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan. Not only because of the reference but because one the characters are named Will Rosenberg. Sound familiar to anyone? Willow Rosenberg was Buffy's best friend. Anyways big 5 stars and I already order the 2nd book. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
This was a pretty typical example of the teen ghost hunter genre. If you are expecting a scary book, this is probably not the book for you. There are some gruesome scenes, but overall it is not the story of a haunting, but rather the type where a group of teenagers take on a big bad evil monster. I liked the characters and I liked that the grown ups were not non-existent in the story. I also liked how Cas developed throughout the story from a loner that doesn't need anyone to someone that learns to rely on his friends. Overall it was an entertaining read for the Halloween season and I will probably pick up the second book in this duology in the future. ( )
  Cora-R | Apr 13, 2021 |
So, everyone should first know that I dislike being scared and so jumping into this book was a little difficult for me at first. But I quickly fell in love with Kendare Black's main character Cas's narration and enjoyed his true to the moment, teenager in the 2010's, style of story telling. At times being in his head got a little old, but overall, I remember being a teen and having the same kinds of thoughts myself. I was a little surprised by the amount of swearing the book though. I would consider the story to be upper grade in nature for high schoolers, but was not impressed with the amount of swear words in it.

So was I scared, you may ask? Actually, no. This was just the right level of suspenseful and scary for me. I enjoyed seeing the duality of Anna, but I grew up knowing ghosts to be something that could not be touched and they could not touch anything (opaque creatures not made with much more substance than air) and so I had a hard time imagining Anna as something that could pick up objects and touch people beyond when she was angry and wanted to kill/rip a person apart.

I will definitely be reading the next book in this duology! ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |

Kendare Blakeprimary authorall editionscalculated
NekroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Just your average, boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway—no pun intended.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

This is a work of fiction. All of the characters, organizations, and events portrayed in this novel are either products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously.

Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story…

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

Kendare Blake is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,189,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible