Die Flüsse von London: Roman by Ben…

Die Flüsse von London: Roman (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ben Aaronovitch (Author)

Series: Rivers of London (1)

Probationary constable Peter Grant dreams of being a detective in London's Metropolitan Police. Too bad his superior plans to assign him to the Case Progression Unit, where the biggest threat he'll face is a paper cut. But Peter's prospects change in the aftermath of a puzzling murder, when he gains exclusive information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. Peter's ability to speak with the lingering dead brings him to the attention of Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, who investigates crimes involving magic and other manifestations of the uncanny. Now, as a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic.… (more)
Member:dana_snsk_
Title:Die Flüsse von London: Roman
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch (Author)
Info:dtv Verlagsgesellschaft (2012)

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (2011)

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (riverwillow)
    riverwillow: Both 'Neverwhere' and 'Rivers of London' (US title 'Midnight Riot') evoke a magical fairy tale London which sometimes feels more authentic then any real life guide to the city.
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (Rubbah)
    A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Same Location, similar themes. Both Capture the essence of London.
    The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: It's difficult to explain this recommendation without giving spoilers to one or other of the books. There were certain plot elements to Rivers of London/Midnight Riots which made me think of The Big Over Easy. And both books have a well-developed sense of humour.… (more)
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books have a certain dark British humour to them.
    Rule 34 by Charles Stross (fhprice)
    fhprice: Besides the urban setting and police procedural genre similarities, both have protagonists with a snarky "we're just cogs making witty observations about the machine" voices. Wicked humor.
    Archer's Goon by Diana Wynne Jones (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: The way that the river spirits are characterized is similar to the characters in Archer's Goon. Same feel/style.
    Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire (Mav.Weirdo)
    Half-Resurrection Blues by Daniel José Older (rarm)
    King Rat by China Miéville (mikewilliams64)
    mikewilliams64: London urban fantasy with malevolent magic in the wings. Sharp contemporary horror from the beginning of Mieville's career
    The New York Magician by Jacob Zimmerman (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both books have a similar way of portraying Gods and Powers and both are urban fantasy/mysteries
    Stray Souls by Kate Griffin (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both are a bit quirky, set in London, and deal with the spirits of things, magic and murder.
    Between Two Thorns by Emma Newman (LongDogMom)
    No Hero by Jonathan Wood (Rouge2507)
    Rouge2507: Similar: British policeman fights against the supernatural
    Bryant and May and the Memory of Blood by Christopher Fowler (hairball)
    hairball: Two books with Punch & Judy-themed murders--must be something in the water in London.
    The Severed Streets by Paul Cornell (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both series feature British police who deal with supernatural crime and both are more creative and well written than the average urban fantasy
    Strange Practice by Vivian Shaw (andreas.wpv)
    andreas.wpv: Different type of protagonist and friends, but dealing with the un- or supernatural, solving crimes and preventing disasters. This is very similar though in style and tone, mood of the story. It is tense, yes, but holds no horror or exceeding brutality. The protagonist is human, and like a human, and the story has an undercurrent of kindness that many novels miss. And it is funny at times, from gentle humor to laugh out loud.… (more)
    Never the Bride by Paul Magrs (jonathankws)
    Nightfall by Stephen Leather (agneson9)
    agneson9: features supernatural/paranormal side of London

English (317)  German (4)  Norwegian (2)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (326)
This was another nice start to a new series of books that I'm going to read the rest of when I get my hands on them. It's got magic, wizards, crime, it's set in London, what more can you ask for? Maybe a less rushed conclusion. The character of Molly did not really make a lot of sense to me, and ended up being a bit of a deus ex machina? ( )
  Enno23 | Aug 15, 2021 |
Rachael Vaughan rec
  wordloversf | Aug 14, 2021 |
While the homophobia and misogyny grated in parts, I still found this interesting storytelling and funny even though I didn’t care for the main character. I found it interesting that I kept envisioning him as white! Erm detailed descriptions of the layout of London which I found myself skipping st times. ( )
  Stephen.Lawton | Aug 7, 2021 |
This is my second read through (listen?) of this series so I can get back into the swing of things and remember where I am before I move onto book five and, let me just tell you, that it combines everything I love about British murder mysteries, the occult, and sassy narrators and leaves me aching for a well-produced BBC version so I can watch it constantly. ( )
  cthuwu | Jul 28, 2021 |
Why does London seem to end up with all the really cool series? Not quite as strong a sense of place as the Midnight Mayor books, but interesting and believable characters and a story that wasn't overwrought. ( )
  levan.matthew | Jul 17, 2021 |

Mussarra, Joan JosepTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadrelli, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youssi, WesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yet ah! why should they know their fate?

Since sorrow never comes too late,

And happiness too swiftly flies.

Thought would destroy their paradise.

No more; where ignorance is bliss,

'Tis folly to be wise.

Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College by Thomas Gray
In memory of Colin Ravey, because some people are too large to be contained by just the one universe.
It started at one thirty on a cold Tuesday morning in January when Martin Turner, street performer and, in his own words, apprentice gigolo, tripped over a body in front of the West Portico of St Paul's at Covent Garden.
He sliced it in half to show us the interior. It looked like a diseased cauliflower.
”And this ,” said Dr. Walid, “is your brain on magic.”
I returned to the coach house with a packet of marigold gloves and my Uncle Tito’s Numatic vacuum cleaner. Let me tell you – a thousand watts of suckage makes a big difference
The chip that handled RF conversion was superficially intact, but had suffered microscopic pitting across its entire surface. The patterns reminded me of Mr. Coopertown’s brain. This was my phone on magic, I thought.
(Tyburn discounts Peter’s authority over the Folly) - “I am a sworn constable,” I said. “And that makes me an officer of the law. And I am an apprentice, which makes me a keeper of the sacred flame, but most of all I am a free man of London and that makes me a Prince of the City.”
Mr. Punch was running for his afterlife, but I was gaining.

The name's Peter Grant.
river gods and goddesses,
old magic and ghosts.
(passion4reading)
Down by the river:

“Get yer trousers on, you're nicked…

Despite being dead.”

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ben Aaronovitch's book Midnight Riot was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,366,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible