Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Cornflakes: Poems by James Stevenson

Cornflakes: Poems (edition 2000)

by James Stevenson (Author), James Stevenson (Illustrator)

A collection of short poems with such titles as "I Can't Move Mountains," "Junkyard," and "Greenhouse in March."
Member:csappenfield
Title:Cornflakes: Poems
Authors:James Stevenson (Author)
Other authors:James Stevenson (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (2000), Edition: 1st, 56 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Poetry book, Figurative language, Descriptive words, wacky, picture book, city, Onomatopoeia

Cornflakes Poems by James Stevenson

Cornflakes would be a great book for a read aloud because of all the figurative language and onomatopoeia in it. There are many different types of poems used through out the book. Short and long poems. The book is in poems telling about all the characteristics of the city one might see throughout their everyday walk. ( )
  csappenfield | Apr 21, 2018 |
Personally, I would recommend this book for young readers anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th grade. It takes the reader through a journey of a lifetime. It tells a story through using detail, illustrations, and text arrangement. This book really focuses on everyday food items as well as things that we notice, but do not pay much mind to. It puts an interesting perspective into how each item is described and what might its purpose be. Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book and how it used various story elements to get a point across rather than just the same one over and over again. ( )
  Karleyk14 | Nov 13, 2017 |
This book tells no story but instead is a collection of very short and interesting poems. All of the poems together appear to have nothing in common however they seem to all be taking a deeper look into a quick everyday observation. Things we typically would see and just pass by, continuing on our day. This author is able to take these and turn them into somewhat meaningful poems. Some of these poems made absolutely no sense to me while others struck my thoughts and emotions deeply. Overall I thought this was an interesting book that would be great for students to read in order to understand the different forms a poem could come in. ( )
  cejones4 | May 1, 2017 |
This book was okay, but I was not blown away by it. It had plenty of different types of poetry inside. Some the poems were pretty humorous, though. The illustrations, however were small and dull colored. Most of the poems have to do with things or places around a community. ( )
  ashleyschifano | Nov 25, 2014 |
I did not like the book “Cornflakes” by James Stevenson. One aspect I did not like the writing. I know the poems were different on each page but I could not follow each poem. “All you see is her coat, her cane, her courage. Outside, cold branches scrape the glass. Inside, the jungle blooms.” This book was very difficult for me to follow. Another aspect I did not like was the illustrations. Most of the illustrations were small and not very colorful. Also half of the pictures were in black and white, which I did not find interesting. The big idea of this story is to expose children to poetry and the different kinds that there are. ( )
  amulve2 | Oct 16, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,531,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible