Dead Iron by Devon Monk

Dead Iron (edition 2011)

by Devon Monk

Series: Age of Steam (1)

"Welcome to a new America that is built on blood, sweat, and gears... In steam age America, men, monsters, machines, and magic battle for the same scrap of earth and sky. In this chaos, bounty hunter Cedar Hunt rides, cursed by lycanthropy and carrying the guilt of his brother's death. Then he's offered hope that his brother may yet survive. All he has to do is find the Holder: a powerful device created by mad devisers-and now in the hands of an ancient Strange who was banished to walk this Earth. In a land shaped by magic, steam, and iron, where the only things a man can count on are his guns, gears, and grit, Cedar will have to depend on all three if he's going to save his brother and reclaim his soul once and for all.."--… (more)
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Dead Iron
Authors:Devon Monk
Info:Penguin Publishing Group
Collections:Currently reading, ebooks, Working on
Tags:Fic, SF, !Po, __make_cover, _import201130

Work Information

Dead Iron by Devon Monk

I enjoyed this for the most part. For me and maybe this was just a mood I was in, I would have enjoyed it more if it had stuck more closely to the main character, Cedar. I liked his character best. Maybe because the loner bounty hunter has always been a favorite character type for me. Add in that he's a werewolf and that is just all the better. I did enjoy several of the other characters though. Especially the witch Mae. I liked how the author dealt with her powers. That was a new twist for me. she only had dark magic but she contrived to use it always for good. Nice. ) The steampunkness of it all came across better than I expected from my other attempts to read this genre. I did keep imagining how this would all look in a movie version. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
Cedar Hunt is a werewolf on the run after killing his own brother. He uses his wolfish skills as a tracker and has traveled to an alternative old west America. In the town of Hallelujah are also other outcasts including Rose Small who was abandoned as an infant and seems to have extra perceptions, Mae Lindson, a witch, and her black husband, Jeb as well as the three Madder brothers, drunken miners. When a young boy goes missing, Cedar sets out to find him but needs help from the Madder brothers. At the same time, Jeb is killed by Shard LeFel, an evil railroad tycoon, and Mae sets out to avenge her husband's death.

As LeFel's evil plan to gain back his immortality and unleash the Strange on the earth, the various quests of the main characters overlap and lead to the ultimate showdown.

I was reading this book in conjunction with a non-fiction, and there is a great deal of set up with the characters. So, I almost gave up, but decided to give it more time on itis own which I am happy for. Once the various characters are introduced, they do come together nicely suggesting that the sequels should be even better. ( )
  4leschats | Jul 15, 2020 |
Loved it. First time reading a steampunk novel and I think I'm in love. ( )
  ohkamikaze | Sep 21, 2017 |
strong action line throughout but the intensity doesn't cycle - it just stays high - if it had a little less action and a little more drama it would do well
probably won't read more by author ( )
  jason9292 | Apr 25, 2017 |
Very interesting, first in a series - will def. look for the follow-ups. ( )
  amobogio | Oct 28, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

For my family
Cedar had stared straight into the killing eyes of rabid wolves, hungry bears,ans a charging bull elk, but Mrs. Horace Small had them all topped.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,100,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible