Aleph by Paulo Coelho

Aleph (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Paulo Coelho

Aleph marks a return to the author's beginnings. In a frank and surprising personal story, one of the world's most beloved authors embarks on a remarkable and transformative journey of self discovery. Facing a grave crisis of faith, and seeking a path of spiritual renewal and growth, he decides to start over: to travel, to experiment, to reconnect with people and the world. On this journey through Europe, Africa, and Asia, he will again meet Hilal, the woman he loved 500 years before, an encounter that will initiate a mystical voyage through time and space, through past and present, in search of himself. Aleph is an encounter with our fears and our sins; a search for love and forgiveness, and the courage to confront the inevitable challenges of life.… (more)
Member:bibliovaldejaen
Title:Aleph
Authors:Paulo Coelho
Info:Knopf (2011), Hardcover, 288 páginas

Aleph by Paulo Coelho (2010)

English (26)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (32)
"You are an egotistical man who thinks the world owes him something" says the character Hilal to the "character" Paulo. Truer words never spoken. I almost bailed on this book, but didn't have anything else to listen to. I liked the Alchemist, but this was a sore disappointment. The narrator (author?) cannot sustain happiness in his life and is seeking for some understanding of this predicament. He embarks on various trips with his wife, but only when he leaves her behind, rides the Trans-Siberian railroad for 9000 kilometers and travels back into a past life with Hilal, (the Turkish violinist who randomly shows up at his first appearance in Russia and insists on joining him), is he able to get a grip. This is a completely self-absorbed, selfish, self-important undertaking and the way he uses Hilal is so irritating. He had wronged her egregiously in a past life (which did not ring historically true -- Spanish Inquisition) and only with her help can he enter the Aleph, a type of portal which allows him to see and re-live part of that life to understand that he must ask forgiveness. It felt like a bunch of spiritual mumbo jumbo from start to finish. Only interesting parts were the idea of Aleph (first letter in the Hebrew, Aramaic, and Arabic alphabets) representing the oneness of God and the concept of time like a train -- all connected and sequential but each train car represents a different era or life that we can fluidly move between. We don't change, but the surroundings do. That was 5 minutes. The other 5 hours were wasted. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
ع رأي وفاء ها ، ثم ؟
كانت معقولة بس أخدت وقت جبااار جدًا في قرايتها مكانتش محمسة ،، محستهاش اوي ( )
  Reem.Amgad | Jun 3, 2020 |
Extraordinary book! Full of wisdom. It changed my view on many things regarding life and love! ( )
  InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |
  InnahLovesYou | May 2, 2018 |
One of my favorites so far. The other that I really liked is Brida. ( )
  yamiyoghurt | Jan 29, 2018 |

Paulo Coelhoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Costa, Margaret JullTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for those who turn to you.  Amen.

A certain nobleman went into a far country, to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.
- Luke 19:12
The Aleph was about two to three centimeters in diameter, but all of cosmic space was there, with no diminution in size.  Each thing was infinite, because I could clearly see it from every point on the universe.
-Jorge Luis Borges, The Aleph

Thou knowest all--I cannot see.
I trust I shall not live in vain,
I know that we shall meet again,
in some divine eternity.

- Oscar Wilde, "The True Knowledge"
For J, who keeps me walking,
S.J., who continues to protect me,
Hilal, for her words of forgiveness in the church in Novosibirsk.
Oh, No, Not another ritual!

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,295,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible