No Regrets: The Life of Edith Piaf by…

No Regrets: The Life of Edith Piaf (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Carolyn Burke

The iconic French singer comes to life in this definitive biography, which captures Edith Piaf's immense charisma along with the time and place that gave rise to her unprecedented international career.
Member:deftnerd
Title:No Regrets: The Life of Edith Piaf
Authors:Carolyn Burke
Info:Knopf (2011), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 304 pages

Work Information

No Regrets: The Life of Edith Piaf by Carolyn Burke (2011)

It was only recently that I discovered Edith Piaf and her songs. After listening to both Non, je ne regrette rien and La Vie en rose, I was hooked. I have since then bought a two CD collection of her songs, a picture, the movie based on her life, and this biography.

I enjoyed this book. I knew some of her life story, but I had no idea how passionate she was about singing and love. Though she didn't find any long lasting happiness with any man, her fans were always there for her.

I would recommend this book to anyone who's a fan of this extraordinary woman and anyone else who wants to know why Edith Piaf is considered one of the best singers of the 2oth century and understand why she is still fondly remembered in both her home country, France, and the rest of the world. ( )
  ZelmerWilson | Oct 31, 2019 |
Much more comprehensive than the autobiography, this volume answers most of the questions I was left with after watching the confusing and somewhat superficial biopic La Vie en Rose.
It seems that Edith proved the maxim that one must suffer for their art. A truly extraordinary life. ( )
1 vote Helen_Earl | Aug 6, 2015 |
glbt tag for her having quite a lot of queer friends and coworkers.

disability tag for her massive chronic debilitating ailments.

I love that this was as well-researched as it could possibly have been, given the subject matter. I think I just wish there were more to the story. The last quarter of the book dissolves into a litany of Edith's illnesses, addictions, and incessant touring and convalescence, while the best and most interesting parts are everything from her harrowing childhood through her Resistance work in defiance of the Nazis. I wish there had been more of the Resistance work especially. ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
Marked this book as 'to read' after seeing the review in the Telegraph:

Was fascinated by her half sister, Simone Bertaut's book [b:Piaf|1362868|Piaf|Simone Berteaut|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1183001000s/1362868.jpg|1352667] and am curious to see what this one says as it seems to imply that Simone wasn't alltogether truthful.
  pengvini | Mar 30, 2013 |
It is hard to judge a book of this nature solely upon the quality of writing. While the writing might not be extraordinary, I am rating the book above-average based upon the enormous time and effort that Carolyn Burke put into researching the material. ( )
  greglief | Jun 30, 2011 |
My songs are my life. I don't want to be nothing but a memory. -- Edith Piaf
For Georges Borchardt, and for Samuel Hynes
Edith Piaf's life began like a latter day version of Les Miserables.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,090,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible