Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright

Red Riding Hood (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright, David Leslie Johnson, Catherine Hardwicke (Introduction)

Folklore. Young Adult Fiction. HTML:Valerie's sister was beautiful, kind, and sweet. Now she is dead. Henri, the handsome son of the blacksmith, tries to console Valerie, but her wild heart beats fast for another: the outcast woodcutter, Peter, who offers Valerie another life far from home.
/> After her sister's violent death, Valerie's world begins to spiral out of control. For generations, the werewolf has been kept at bay with a monthly sacrifice. But no one is safe. When an expert wolf hunter arrives, the villagers learn that the creature lives among them - it could be anyone in town.
It soon becomes clear that Valerie is the only one who can hear the voice of creature. The Wolf says she must surrender herself before the Blood Moon wanes . . . or everyone she loves will die.
This is a dangerous new vision of a classic fairy tale, and for listening who want even more of Valerie's riveting story, a bonus chapter that extends the drama is available at http://www.redridinghoodbook.com/.… (more)
Member:anniegrace720
Title:Red Riding Hood
Authors:Sarah Blakley-Cartwright
Other authors:David Leslie Johnson, Catherine Hardwicke (Introduction)
Info:Poppy (2011), Edition: Mti, Kindle Edition, 353 pages
Collections:Books I Read in '12, Your library, Favorites

Work Information

Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright (2011)

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (Kerian)
    The Swan Kingdom by Zoe Marriott (Kerian)
    Kerian: A retelling of another great fairytale.
    Beastly by Alex Flinn (16AnnabelleC)
    Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause (Kerian)
    Kerian: I think teens who like Red Riding Hood will love this, especially ones who can't get enough of werewolves. Adults and/or classic literature fans, I recommend to you Little Women & Werewolves.

English (49)  Spanish (3)  All languages (52)
thought it was odd that had to go on line to read the last chapter. Couldn't put it down had to read it all before i could go to sleep. ( )
  carramel0705 | Jan 7, 2022 |
Got through the ending of the book with no ending. Have not seen movie yet so now do I see movie first or just read ending on Internet? The storyline held my interest until I realized the characters just wouldn't grow or change by giving more info as I read. Never find out why Peter and father must leave village. Grandmother seems nice to Valerie's family but yet is strange with Valerie imagining wolf-like traits. Father is drunk, mother worthless. Henry is almost too nice, too chivalry - makes deal with Peter out of love. Bringing in a werewolf hunter adds suspense but just is a hater. ( )
  kshydog | Dec 13, 2020 |
Okay, I am so confused at the end of this book. Is Peter the Wolf? Or her Grandmother? I don't know, and it irritates me!
I need to see the movie, too.

**Update** (later that same day)
I figured it out! If you go to www.redridinghoodbook.com and read the onus chapter, we finally get all the shit we didn't know explained. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
I'm not a big fan of fairy tales, not even the originals (which are much, much darker than the disneyfied ones we generally see today) but I have found that I have a real fondness for retellings of fairy tales and this is definitely one of my all-time favorites! I only wish the author was planning to revisit this world but I haven't seen any evidence that she is. ( )
  J_Colson | Nov 30, 2017 |
*** 3/5 Stars ***

This book was enjoyable. If you're ever looking for a fairy-tale story with lots of plot twists, danger, and romance then I recomend Sarah Blakley-Cartwright's novle, Red Riding Hood. Which is actually based off a screenplay created by David Leslie Johnson.

At first I was slightly disappointed, believing I figured out who Daggerhorn's werewolf was, but then, going deeper into the story I realized I felt like Valerie (the main character). She started noticing certain traits in the people around her - making everyone seem like they could be the wolf. It was nice that the wolf's identity was kept a mystery until the end.

Speaking of the end, I was disappointed again, or so I thought I would be. The story was left open ended. You didn't know who the wolf was or what happened to our main characters. Thankfully I flipped the last page and saw that there was another chapter, not included in this book, but on the books website. Of course, I had to know the rest of the ending and immediately went to the website and clicked on the link for the last chapter. My disappointment cleared up. I loved the ending; I thought it was sweet and fitting.

I can't imagine having to wait until the movie was released in order to view the final chapter online. It must have been so frustrating to wait for the end. Im glad I read this novel now.

I don't think this story is perfect, of course. I wish there were some things that could have been added. More emotion/dialogue between our characters would have made the story much better IMO. But the plot twists, mystery and danger is what kept me to the end. Now I'm off to find its movie counter part and relive this story in another way. ( )
  Stories_to_live_by | Nov 29, 2017 |

Moon, ErinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pfleiderer, ReinerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Phillips, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Catherine, Lauren, Laurie, and Renee, four incredible women
From the towering heights of the tree, the little girl could see everything.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,890,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible