Crossed by Ally Condie

Crossed

by Ally Condie

Series: Matched (2)

English (179)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (184)
This book started slow and didn't really speed up until closer to the end of the book, like the last 100 pages. But it was still very good. Getting to meet new characters outside the three main characters was interesting, and finding out about their histories and how they came to be where they were at. Xander has a secret and if Ky and Indie are right it's a mind blower! I can't wait to see if Cassia finds out, and her reaction to the news. I'm still confused over the tissue samples and what The Society is aiming to do with them. Mega cliffhanger at the end...who is she meeting??? ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Is it just me or was this book more boring and tiresome than the first? I don't even have words to really waste on giving a full detailed and well thought out review because I'm just..... I think I fell asleep throughout the book - a couple of times. And even when I woke back up and picked a random page to read from I didn't miss anything. Second novels are supposed to build. Create more tension. Throw everything upside down and onto it's head and leave you scrambling for the final book to see the who, what, when, why and how's about what the characters do to fix it. But this one did the opposite of that. At least for me it did.

Only picking up the last book at this point to see if it can get any worse. I have a fear that it can.

Kaymart | Apr 6, 2016 |
Quick Review: Well maybe I should say thoughts. I only gave this 3 stars because I did not like it as much as I loved Matched. There wasn't really a high point until the end. There is a twist I didn't see coming. I think the basis of this book was to set up for Reached. (Which I can't wait for.) I wish we could have seen a little more of Indie also. She is such a unique character, and I want to know more of her story. Maybe she'll make an appearance in Reached. Ky has many of his own secrets, but I realized just how selfish he has been with sharing them. He only likes people to know what he thinks they should. I think this trials in this book make Ky & Cassia's relationship better. I'm pretty sure there are many more secrets and agendas that have yet to surface, and I'll be impatiently waiting for the conclusion to this journey.
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Matched is set in a structured society where everything is controlled by the government. Children grow up in nice homes on pretty streets with carrying parents. Crossed takes the main characters of their pretty, structured surroundings and through them into what amounts to a concentration camp where they must learn about the dirtier, crueler side of life.

The romantic ties remain strong as each character goes off on his or her own adventure, but never fear, dear reader, they will be reunited into true sweet romance style.

By the end of the book, I was tired of the series. I really didn't care about the impending rebellion, but being the good reader I am, I went on to the third book. ( )
  FrancineZane | Mar 18, 2016 |
Wow, what a disappointment.

Unlike the first book, which was told from Cassia's point of view, this book has chapters alternating between Cassia's and Ky's points of view. (Note: it wasn't until I saw Ky's name in caps at the top of a chapter -- "KY" -- that it occurred to me how unfortunate it would be if his name ever appeared in a sentence with "jelly.") The problem is that Cassia and Ky are basically in the same situation -- each is in the Outer Provinces searching for the other -- so the perspectives just aren't different enough.

Virtually everything that interested me about the first book, particularly the design of Society and its careful planning of its Citizens' lives, is absent here. Out in the Outer Provinces, Society is just a big bad that sends its less desirable inhabitants out to be decoy farmers in otherwise-uninhabited villages (aka cannon fodder) for the mysterious Enemy.

It's just all starting to seem a little dumb and not that well thought out. We're supposed to believe that Society is sending kids out to populate villages for the sole purpose of letting the Enemy bomb them. Why not just let the villages stay uninhabited? Is the Enemy so busy bombing the fake villages that it can't plan an attack on, you know, actual military targets? If the Enemy is that stupid, shouldn't Society have beaten them by now?

I just... no. When a painful and wholly unnecessary love triangle among idiotic teenagers is the most interesting thing in the book, the time has come to put it down. And I mean that in a friendly neighborhood veterinarian way. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |

Ally Condieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riccobono, JackNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simses, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ian who looked up and started to climb
I'm standing in a river. It's blue. Dark blue. Reflecting the color of the evening sky. I don't move. The river does. It pushed against me and hisses through the grass at the water's edge.

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.

Seventeen-year-old Cassia sacrifices everything and heads to the Outer Provinces in search of Ky, where she is confronted with shocking revelations about Society and the promise of rebellion.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141333065, 014134010X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible