Crossed by Ally Condie

Crossed

by Ally Condie

Series: Matched (2)

2,2191662,937 (3.47)63

English (162)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (166)
Now we're getting somewhere! While I wouldn't classify this as an "action" novel, it was much more "active" than book one. Things were happening. I liked that. The voice in this book switched from only Cassia (in Matched) to both Cassia & Ky, in alternating chapters. I liked that it gave you better information as to what each person was thinking/feeling, but their voices were so similar that I did have to go back a few times and look at the beginning of the chapter to check again from whose perspective I was reading.

We meet some new characters in this book, and Eli I loved, but I'm still not sure what I think of Indie. Her character has a lot of mystery surrounding her, and I'm still not sure we need to trust her. While Xander was only present for a chapter or two in this one, we do learn more about him (without Cassia doing so), so it will be interesting to see what happens with the little triangle (well, square now that Indie's involved) as Cassia is back in "Society".
There are many unanswered questions, and I guess that's just part of being the middle book in a series. (Why can't they just write one long novel anymore?!?!) However, there are definitely several ways things can go with the whole Society/Rising issues. I am hoping that the third book will answer all the questions and not disappoint!

Would I recommend this to by BFF? Yes. I thought it was better than the first.
Would I recommend this to my teen daughter? Yep!

4.5 of 5 ( )
  lauraodom | Apr 16, 2015 |
In this rather grim middle novel, Cassia is looking for Ky, Ky is trying not to get killed, and Xander wants Cassia back. Both banished to the edges of Society, Ky and Cassia learn more about what's out there--the Aberrations and Anomalies being picked off by the Society, the independent farmers who tried to make a life out there, and the shadowy Rising, led by the even more mysterious Pilot. If there even is a Pilot. An interesting look at what happens on and outside the edges of a totalitarian Society. ( )
  jholcomb | Apr 4, 2015 |
Five stars, though it is quite different in pace and purpose to Matched. Other reviewers are correct... it seems as if Ms Condie is pausing here, breathing without moving the story forward. I think she is taking time for her readers to know more of the whys. I think she is taking time for us to become more invested in Cassia, Ky and Indie.

Matched is only from Cassia's POV. Crossed adds Ky's POV (similar to that of Legend & Prodigy). I've just begun Reached and Ms. Condie has added Xander's POV.

Fans of Divergent, Delirium, Maze Runner, and Legend trilogies will feel at home with this trilogy, too. Not as much anger-driven confrontation as Divergent and Maze Runner, but then again, we don't need identical trilogies. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
This book was definitely better than the first. This book has adventure and keeps you wanting to read more. The characters actually have things to do, which is what I believe lacked in the first book. For me, the books progressively got better so I hope the next one doesn't disappoint. ( )
  JosP | Jan 26, 2015 |
An amazing book, a great 2 to the matched book witch was one of the best books I ever read similar to the book Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
so if you like his books you should read this series for sure ( )
  hannah7248 | Jan 21, 2015 |

Ally Condieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riccobono, JackNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simses, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ian who looked up and started to climb
I'm standing in a river. It's blue. Dark blue. Reflecting the color of the evening sky. I don't move. The river does. It pushed against me and hisses through the grass at the water's edge.

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.

Seventeen-year-old Cassia sacrifices everything and heads to the Outer Provinces in search of Ky, where she is confronted with shocking revelations about Society and the promise of rebellion.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141333065, 014134010X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,569,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible