Cookie Dough Or Die by Virginia Lowell

Cookie Dough Or Die (2011)

by Virginia Lowell

As cozies go, this is mediocre. The characters are pretty flat. The mystery was decent, but the resolution was a bit silly. Mostly the issues stemmed from pacing and lack of information. The murder occurs offscreen before the book even starts, so we don't ever meet the victim and have no knowledge of their relationships with anyone in the story. Since this is the first in a series, we don't even have previous books to clue us in to any relationship dynamics. I might consider going forward in the series because I think the author has potential. But I'm not going out of my way to do so. ( )
  virginiahomeschooler | May 8, 2018 |
This is the first in the "Cookie Cutter" series by Virgina Lowell. The title is cute, and if you love cozy mysteries, impossible to refuse.
This one doesn't disappoint. The characters were very easy to relate to, no harsh language, no graphic detailed forensics, etc. But, it wasn't insulting to the intelligence. I had just finished a rather dark serial killer type mystery and this was a welcome reprieve.
Olivia,(call me Livvy- everyone does), moved back to her hometown after her divorce. She opens up a cookie shop with her good friend Maddie. Over the past year, Clarisse, another good friend and mentor, has encouraged Livvy along with her business and the two had become quite close. But, then Clarisse is found dead. Initially, it looks like either an accident involving pills and too much wine, or a suicide. Livvy isn't buying either theory. So, she sets out to find out what really happened to her friend.
There is quite of bit of drama, some slapstick moments, small town gossip, and a little light romance. I couldn't put this one down. A- ( )
  gpangel | Nov 11, 2012 |
Definitely a cozy with appealing characters, but really, a cookie cutter shop in a small town? ( )
  cfk | Jan 23, 2012 |
In this first book in a new cozy mystery series, Olivia owns a shop called The Gingerbread House which sells cookies, cookie cutters, and specialty bakeware. The store is on the ground floor of a restored old Victorian in the downtown area of a small town in Maryland. Olivia and her small Yorkshire pup, Spunky, live upstairs. The book opens with the death of Olivia's friend and business mentor, Clarisse Chamberlain, apparently an accidental overdose of sleeping pills that were dissolved into a bottle of wine. Olivia is suspicious about this accident from the beginning, and slowly the true story begins to unfold.

I found this to be a light, enjoyable entry into the crowded cozy field. It seems that I am reading a lot of series firsts lately. Nevertheless, I liked Olivia and her best friend Maddie, and the cookie and cookie cutter theme was different. The mystery was nicely plotted and there were some elements, like the will reading, and the gathering at the end of the novel, that reminded me of the old mystery classics. I would have liked a little more on the setting, however, as these details were fairly sparse. ( )
  chinquapin | Aug 4, 2011 |
This first in the Cookie Cutter Shop Mysteries series is a bit rough and slow-going, but kept me vaguely entertained until the ending. The story is certainly nothing new, centering around family rivalry and will money. Good enough to keep you entertained for a little while, but I found myself rolling my eyes at the "cookie cutter" characters. The craziest thing her Olivia's "crazy" friend does is color her cookies with outragious icing. This story needed to be faster paced and the characters needed a few more quirks to be truely as quirky as the author describes them. Verdict: meh. ( )
  lovejoy_rat | Jul 17, 2011 |
For my father and for Marilyn
Olivia Greyson's eyes popped open to darkness - and to the sense that someone was downstairs.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425240673, Mass Market Paperback)

Olivia Greyson is the proud owner of The Gingerbread House-a quaint shop that specializes in all things cookie-and her best friend, Maddie, is her sidekick, baking up scrumptious treats for their cookie-themed parties. But now they must take a break from baking and find a killer, or else their reputation-and quite possibly their lives-will be battered for good.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:01 -0400)

"No one is more shocked than Olivia when prominent business owner Clarisse Chamberlain is found dead. It was Clarisse who encouraged Olivia to open The Gingerbread House--and she was one of her best customers. The sheriff is ready to call the case an accident, but Olivia's convinced there's a murder to solve. Then word spreads that Clarisse left Olivia a large sum of money, along with a collection of valuable antique cookie cutters. Suddenly, Olivia is the prime suspect, and when the local postman falls ill after sampling one of their cookies, all eyes are on The Gingerbread House. If the cookie-loving duo doesn't find the real killer, their reputation--and quite possibly their lives--will be battered for good..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,200,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible