Roads to Berlin by Cees Nooteboom

Roads to Berlin (1990)

by Cees Nooteboom

English (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (3)
I have to admit I skipped through this. It would probably benefit from a slower, closer reading but I wasn't tempted to slow down as I raced on. The style is that Mr Nooteboom notes down what he sees and what he thinks. In a literary, allusory way that could be attractive. For someone who was in Berlin at the fall of the wall the book fails to contain any reported speech. No conversations with anyone. It is an internal tour of Mr Nootebooms mind not of the city which he visited. ( )
  Steve38 | Feb 26, 2015 |
Interesting if somewhat long winded and self referential book on Berlin and the Wall in 1989. If it hadn't been for my own recent trip to Germany and the week I spent in Berlin, it would not have been as interesting, but I had gone and I found his observations acute. Excellent on what it felt like to be present in history, less good in the later essays when he simply quotes himself ad nauseam. ( )
  annbury | Feb 19, 2014 |

Cees Nooteboomprimary authorall editionscalculated
Watkinson, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

'Roads to Berlin' maps the changing landscape of Germany, from the period before the fall of the Wall to the present. Written and updated over the course of several decades, an eyewitness account of the pivotal events of 1989 gives way to a perceptive appreciation of its difficult passage to reunification.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,003,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible