The Calling by Kelley Armstrong

The Calling

by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Darkness Rising (2)

Soooooooo GOOD! ahh!

I just couldn't put it down. I am so excited to start the third one. Gah! I can't wait for all the kids to meet each other.

I'm so glad I waited to have all three books before I started reading, I don't think I could have waited. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
The Calling is the second book in the Darkness Rising series. This book was much better than the first, The Gathering. Had these two books been edited down and combined into one, I think it would have made a fantastic book. In this story, Maya, and her friends have survived the helicopter crash and are on the run from two different groups who are pursuing them. As they run, each starts to find out more and more about the way they are changing and how it happened. Maya and Daniel are most affected, but hints are given as to how the others might also be changing. This book was much more satisfying than the first, and I'm ready to finish the series by reading The Rising. ( )
  Mrslabraden | May 31, 2016 |
I think I probably should have reread the first book before starting this. It hasbeen awhile so I had forgotten alot.I liked it but was not as engrossed as I think I could have been. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

I hadn't really planned to continue reading the Darkness Rising Trilogy, but when I saw this book in the library I did take it home with me, because after all, I was still a bit curious about what happened next. The end of The Gathering was quite a cliffhanger...

For me, this book felt quite the same as the first part. A lot happens, but somehow, you're never scared, because you believe that they will succeed and survive everything (as they always do in books). This is a bit a shame, but nevertheless, it was again a nice read, though I thought the story was a bit weaker than the first one.

If I ever encounter the last book, I will read it, because I now want to know how it ends... ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
If you've ever seen an old movie serial, you can understand why the episode's ends were called cliffhangers. I have and it could be really annoying to see the hero out of the lethal-seeming situation with no explanation in the next episode. I'm pleased to say that The Calling doesn't do that to us. We start out in the same helicopter evacuation that The Gathering ended with. Things go rapidly wrong from there.

Maya and classmates get to spend the book on the run. We learn a few things that will be made clearer in the third book. Readers with a healthy amount of paranoia may want to scream at our teens for not being paranoid enough -- well, some of them.

Maya finds out for certain what her birthmark means. I enjoyed that scene. The persons who were chasing Maya, etc. in book one haven't given up. One called Moreno could use a lesson in good manners. Sam might well have broken his nose if she'd been the one to suffer his comments.

There's a woman at a restaurant whom I wish Ms. Armstrong let us know her reaction when (if?) she found out just how wrong and unjust she was. It might have done her some good.

Then there are the chapters that set us up for the third book, The Rising. I still prefer the Darkest Powers trilogy over all, but this trilogy is still good.

Notes:

Chapter 4:

a. It's October.

b. That phrase, 'The fog comes in on little cat feet', comes from 'The Fog' by Carl Sandburg. http://carl-sandburg.com/fog.htm

c. We learn the main powers of the Benandanti.

Chapter 9: We get Sam's backstory.

Chapter 11: A rundown cabin is described.

Chapter 12: The Edison Group from the Darkest Powers trilogy is mentioned.

Chapter 14:

a. For the woman at the tattoo studio incidents, see The Gathering, ch. 4 & 18.

b. I'm sure the X-Men's/X-Factor's Banshee and Siren would disagree with Daniel about a sonic boom being a lame super power. Frankly, some comic book superheroes considered lame wouldn't be if the writers or fans used their imaginations more. To give two examples, if Chemical King of the Legion of Super-Heroes had ever bothered to use his powers to alter the body chemistry, especially brain chemistry, of their foes, he'd have been frightening. As for his teammate Matter-Eater Lad, imagine what he could do for polluted areas of the Earth before we even start talking about snacking on enemy weapons, booby-traps, and installations. (There went their super computer's main innards. Tsk tsk.)

Chapter 16:

a. The Enwrights witches are mentioned, as are Project Genesis. There are a Delaney & an Enright on a list. For last Spring's 'incident,' see The Reckoning.

b. Sam's revelation gets turned back on her.

c. There's a Nicole revelation.

d. We get more of Sam's backstory.

Chapter 17: There's a Daniel revelation,

Chapter 19: There's a radio conversation between Maya and Calvin.

Chapter 20: Maya sees a newspaper article.

Chapter 21:

a. Maya does some soul-searching about Hayley, among other things.

b. Sam says why she doesn't have pets.

Chapter 22: Maya has another strange dream. It involves torture.

Chapter 24:

a. 20 miles = 32.186 88 kilometers.

b. The movie series Sam is talking about is Final Destination. Serena loved them and horror movies.

Chapter 27: a. Maya remembers the Tafts, an older couple at Salmon Creek, their homemade fudge, their Halloween treats and what she and Seri did on Halloween.

b. Maya coached a grade two girl named Stacey in track last year.

c. Maya remembers neighbors' white-haired pets

Chapter 28: Sam finds out something about Mrs. Tillson that means a lot to her.

Chapter 31:

a. Maya loves Froot Loops cereal. So does Corey.

b. Sam makes an unintentional pun that makes Corey laugh.

Chapter 34: We get a bit of info about Project Genesis from Darkest Powers trilogy.

Dog lovers: Maya's German shepherd, Kenjii, is available for our enjoyment.

Cat lovers: Haley's cat doesn't have a big scene, but there are big cats to admire. ( )
  JalenV | May 13, 2016 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fitzsimmons, ErinCover design & typographysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schechter, CarrieCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Julia
I don't know who was more anxious - Daniel or Kenjii - but they weren't making this emergency helicopter evacuation any easier.

Maya Delaney’s paw-print birthmark is the sign of what she truly is a skin-walker. She can run faster, climb higher, and see better than nearly anyone else. Experiencing intense connections with the animals that roam the woods outside her home, Maya knows it’s only a matter of time before she’s able to Shift and become one of them. And she believes there may be others in her small town with surprising talents.
Now, Maya and her friends have been forced to flee from their homes during a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set. Then they’re kidnapped, and after a chilling helicopter crash, they find themselves in the Vancouver Island wilderness with nothing but their extraordinary abilities to help them get back home. Plentiful action and romance in this second installment in the Darkness Rising series will keep readers enthralled to the very last page.

Maya and her friends--all of whom have supernatural powers--have been kidnapped after fleeing from a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set, and after a terrifying helicopter crash they find themselves pursued by evil-doers in the Vancouver Island wilderness.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,079,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible