The Calling by Kelley Armstrong

The Calling

by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Darkness Rising Trilogy (2)

Too much running away, not enough plot development. More review later. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
READ IN DUTCH

I hadn't really planned to continue reading the Darkness Rising Trilogy, but when I saw this book in the library I did take it home with me, because after all, I was still a bit curious about what happened next. The end of The Gathering was quite a cliffhanger...

For me, this book felt quite the same as the first part. A lot happens, but somehow, you're never scared, because you believe that they will succeed and survive everything (as they always do in books). This is a bit a shame, but nevertheless, it was again a nice read, though I thought the story was a bit weaker than the first one.

If I ever encounter the last book, I will read it, because I now want to know how it ends... ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
In this second book of the Darkness Rising trilogy, Maya and her friends find themselves lost in the middle of a forest. The helicopter which was supposed to have rescued them from their burning town was actually manned by a kidnapper who was killed when the helicopter crashed. Maya, as usual, is clueless to Daniel’s feelings towards her, despite the loss of Rafe in book one, and finding him again in book 2.

Read more at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
This sequel trilogy to [b:Darkest Powers|2800905|The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1)|Kelley Armstrong|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327890699s/2800905.jpg|2451397] is mild in comparison. There's no lethal danger. No one dies. None of the kids anyway. Sure, some are injured and there are some close calls but considering the stakes I'd expect there to be more casualties.

I like the character development in this one. None of them are perfect, even Maya and Daniel. Sam is my favourite with no filter on her mouth, willing to say what she really thinks of you to your face and doesn't apologise for it. She's gutsy and I like it. She also happens to be gay, not sure if that's stereotyping but anyway I sympathised with her back-story. Kenjii, Maya's dog, was also a comforting presence throughout -fiercely loyal and protective, the perfect scout when it came to detecting nearby cougars.

I wasn't as frustrated with this book as I was with The Gathering however, I still cannot stand Rafe. I wanted him out of the picture entirely and at one point I was cheering because I thought I'd got my way, then groaned. I don't understand why Maya constantly forgives him. Animal magnetism isn't enough. He may be doing the best he can under the circumstances, was even willing to sacrifice his life but his methods...he just rubs me up the wrong way.

Whilst Rafe was gone we got see how well Daniel and Maya worked together, how much they trusted each other and managed to care for and lead the group. And I don't think I was imagining it this time: Daniel has a thing for Maya and I think if Maya opened her eyes she might feel the same way, if it wasn't for Rafe. Even Sam noticed and almost outed Daniel's feelings. I hate love triangles but this is one of those extremely rare once-in-a-blue-moon moments where I'm hoping there is one. The only thing wrong with Daniel is his inability to tell Maya how he really feels about her and trying not to stand in the way of her and Rafe even when he gets bad feelings about him (his superpower, and he's usually right). He wants her to be happy.

This was a quick and easy read but I'm definitely not loving this trilogy as much as the first. I don't feel as sell-my-own-mother desperate to get my hands on [b:The Rising|11864728|The Rising (Darkness Rising, #3)|Kelley Armstrong|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nocover-60x80.jpg|16821668] as I did with [b:The Reckoning|6468666|The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)|Kelley Armstrong|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327154591s/6468666.jpg|6659237]. I can wait a year for the conclusion, even knowing we'll be seeing Derek, Chloe & Co. again. The plot and these characters just aren't as compelling. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I wanted to read this one because I enjoyed the first and I like Kelley's writing. It picked up right where the last one left off, and it continued with a bang.

It slowed down some after but it still kept my attention. We find out more about the powers of the teens and Maya has no choice but to face what she realized about herself, That she has healing powers over animals and that she shape shifts into a cougar. She has always understood cats and had relationship with the animals, so much that she helps her dad with the hospital for wounded animals.

Her friendship with Daniel was strong again in this one, and we see further proof that he is a leader, and has influence over them, Daniel is such a nice guy and I like his character. Rafe was in this one but we are in a lot of suspense with him and his sister and he's not really as big a character in the first part, We instead get a closer look at the others in the helicopter with them: Sam, Nicole and Corey.

The action did start to pick up and threw in a lot of twists and surprises. There were betrayals and of course they never knew who was telling the truth and who was out to get them.

Like the first, the book just kinda ended. I know that the third will pick right up, but its still hard not to get at least some closure. I mean I know why it stopped at sort of that place, but a little more or a little less would have been great. I will definitely read the last and excited to get time.

Bottom Line: Good 2nd book but some of the typical middle book issues. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Sep 21, 2014 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Julia
I don't know who was more anxious - Daniel or Kenjii - but they weren't making this emergency helicopter evacuation any easier.

Maya Delaney’s paw-print birthmark is the sign of what she truly is a skin-walker. She can run faster, climb higher, and see better than nearly anyone else. Experiencing intense connections with the animals that roam the woods outside her home, Maya knows it’s only a matter of time before she’s able to Shift and become one of them. And she believes there may be others in her small town with surprising talents.
Now, Maya and her friends have been forced to flee from their homes during a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set. Then they’re kidnapped, and after a chilling helicopter crash, they find themselves in the Vancouver Island wilderness with nothing but their extraordinary abilities to help them get back home. Plentiful action and romance in this second installment in the Darkness Rising series will keep readers enthralled to the very last page.

Maya and her friends--all of whom have supernatural powers--have been kidnapped after fleeing from a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set, and after a terrifying helicopter crash they find themselves pursued by evil-doers in the Vancouver Island wilderness.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,294,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible