The Calling by Kelley Armstrong

The Calling

by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Darkness Rising (2)

I have come to the conclusion that Kelley Armstrong is one of my preferred YA urban fantasy writers out there right now. Her books are just really good. I still haven’t finished the Darkest Powers trilogy, but I have the third book so I’ll get to it. Admittedly, I do like that trilogy a tad more than this one (what can I say, I prefer necromancers to shapeshifters), but this one is no less good.
Taking place immediately where the last book left off, Maya and her friends are fleeing from a forest fire in a helicopter. Scared and confused from being attacked by supposed ‘rescuers,’ Maya and her friends encounter problems while in the helicopter which leads to the helicopter crashing - stranding them in the forest.
The book mainly deals with the group trying to make their way back to civilisation all while being trailed by these mysterious rescuers who very obviously do not want to rescue them. From the previous book we learned that Maya is actually a skin-walker, but in this book it’s shown that she might not be the only genetically altered teen on the island (aside from Rafe and Annie, obviously).
Not a great deal actually happened in this book to move the plot forward, which was a strange move. Yet, it worked. I felt like we got to know the characters better amidst the problem they were faced with. Maya is a great protagonist. I’m not a huuuge fan of shape shifting/shape shifter plotlines, so I wasn’t sure I would initially like this trilogy as much because of that, but I like Maya and Rafe and Daniel so much that I don’t really mind that so much.
Rafe, for reasons that I won’t say because of spoilers, wasn’t really in this book as much. Which actually was a great move because it took romance pretty much out of the picture. Which is fantastic because these kids were in a survival setting and having Maya hung up on Rafe during that would have bothered me, but thankfully that was not the case. I also really appreciate what is happening with Maya and Daniel. So many YA authors would turn this into a love triangle, but that’s obviously not what is happening here, thank the lord.
I just really like how Kelley Armstrong treats her characters and relationships. I really like her books. This was a good second book, not the best of the series (which is now looking like a continuation of the Darkest Powers trilogy), but it was good. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
Starting at exactly the point The Gathering’s cliff-hanger left off we rejoin Maya and the other teens on their flight from Salmon Creek. The group finds themselves abandoned after the helicopter crash and on the run from both sides of the law. Things start to happen as far as their “altered” genetics so they must face those changes as well. The finally make it back t Salmon Creek only to find they are more alone than ever in their quest to find out what is happening to them.

Again, being a fan I enjoyed the book.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Too much running away, not enough plot development. More review later. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I hadn't really planned to continue reading the Darkness Rising Trilogy, but when I saw this book in the library I did take it home with me, because after all, I was still a bit curious about what happened next. The end of The Gathering was quite a cliffhanger...

For me, this book felt quite the same as the first part. A lot happens, but somehow, you're never scared, because you believe that they will succeed and survive everything (as they always do in books). This is a bit a shame, but nevertheless, it was again a nice read, though I thought the story was a bit weaker than the first one.

If I ever encounter the last book, I will read it, because I now want to know how it ends... ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
In this second book of the Darkness Rising trilogy, Maya and her friends find themselves lost in the middle of a forest. The helicopter which was supposed to have rescued them from their burning town was actually manned by a kidnapper who was killed when the helicopter crashed. Maya, as usual, is clueless to Daniel’s feelings towards her, despite the loss of Rafe in book one, and finding him again in book 2.

Read more at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Julia
I don't know who was more anxious - Daniel or Kenjii - but they weren't making this emergency helicopter evacuation any easier.

Maya Delaney’s paw-print birthmark is the sign of what she truly is a skin-walker. She can run faster, climb higher, and see better than nearly anyone else. Experiencing intense connections with the animals that roam the woods outside her home, Maya knows it’s only a matter of time before she’s able to Shift and become one of them. And she believes there may be others in her small town with surprising talents.
Now, Maya and her friends have been forced to flee from their homes during a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set. Then they’re kidnapped, and after a chilling helicopter crash, they find themselves in the Vancouver Island wilderness with nothing but their extraordinary abilities to help them get back home. Plentiful action and romance in this second installment in the Darkness Rising series will keep readers enthralled to the very last page.

Maya and her friends--all of whom have supernatural powers--have been kidnapped after fleeing from a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set, and after a terrifying helicopter crash they find themselves pursued by evil-doers in the Vancouver Island wilderness.… (more)

297 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible