The Calling by Kelley Armstrong

The Calling

by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Darkness Rising (2)

The Calling is the second book in the Darkness Rising series. This book was much better than the first, The Gathering. Had these two books been edited down and combined into one, I think it would have made a fantastic book. In this story, Maya, and her friends have survived the helicopter crash and are on the run from two different groups who are pursuing them. As they run, each starts to find out more and more about the way they are changing and how it happened. Maya and Daniel are most affected, but hints are given as to how the others might also be changing. This book was much more satisfying than the first, and I'm ready to finish the series by reading The Rising. ( )
  Mrslabraden | May 31, 2016 |
I think I probably should have reread the first book before starting this. It hasbeen awhile so I had forgotten alot.I liked it but was not as engrossed as I think I could have been. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

I hadn't really planned to continue reading the Darkness Rising Trilogy, but when I saw this book in the library I did take it home with me, because after all, I was still a bit curious about what happened next. The end of The Gathering was quite a cliffhanger...

For me, this book felt quite the same as the first part. A lot happens, but somehow, you're never scared, because you believe that they will succeed and survive everything (as they always do in books). This is a bit a shame, but nevertheless, it was again a nice read, though I thought the story was a bit weaker than the first one.

If I ever encounter the last book, I will read it, because I now want to know how it ends... ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
If you've ever seen an old movie serial, you can understand why the episode's ends were called cliffhangers. I have and it could be really annoying to see the hero out of the lethal-seeming situation with no explanation in the next episode. I'm pleased to say that The Calling doesn't do that to us. We start out in the same helicopter evacuation that The Gathering ended with. Things go rapidly wrong from there.

Maya and classmates get to spend the book on the run. We learn a few things that will be made clearer in the third book. Readers with a healthy amount of paranoia may want to scream at our teens for not being paranoid enough -- well, some of them.

Maya finds out for certain what her birthmark means. I enjoyed that scene. The persons who were chasing Maya, etc. in book one haven't given up. One called Moreno could use a lesson in good manners. Sam might well have broken his nose if she'd been the one to suffer his comments.

There's a woman at a restaurant whom I wish Ms. Armstrong let us know her reaction when (if?) she found out just how wrong and unjust she was. It might have done her some good.

Then there are the chapters that set us up for the third book, The Rising. I still prefer the Darkest Powers trilogy over all, but this trilogy is still good.

Notes:

Chapter 4:

a. It's October.

b. That phrase, 'The fog comes in on little cat feet', comes from 'The Fog' by Carl Sandburg. http://carl-sandburg.com/fog.htm

c. We learn the main powers of the Benandanti.

Chapter 9: We get Sam's backstory.

Chapter 11: A rundown cabin is described.

Chapter 12: The Edison Group from the Darkest Powers trilogy is mentioned.

Chapter 14:

a. For the woman at the tattoo studio incidents, see The Gathering, ch. 4 & 18.

b. I'm sure the X-Men's/X-Factor's Banshee and Siren would disagree with Daniel about a sonic boom being a lame super power. Frankly, some comic book superheroes considered lame wouldn't be if the writers or fans used their imaginations more. To give two examples, if Chemical King of the Legion of Super-Heroes had ever bothered to use his powers to alter the body chemistry, especially brain chemistry, of their foes, he'd have been frightening. As for his teammate Matter-Eater Lad, imagine what he could do for polluted areas of the Earth before we even start talking about snacking on enemy weapons, booby-traps, and installations. (There went their super computer's main innards. Tsk tsk.)

Chapter 16:

a. The Enwrights witches are mentioned, as are Project Genesis. There are a Delaney & an Enright on a list. For last Spring's 'incident,' see The Reckoning.

b. Sam's revelation gets turned back on her.

c. There's a Nicole revelation.

d. We get more of Sam's backstory.

Chapter 17: There's a Daniel revelation,

Chapter 19: There's a radio conversation between Maya and Calvin.

Chapter 20: Maya sees a newspaper article.

Chapter 21:

a. Maya does some soul-searching about Hayley, among other things.

b. Sam says why she doesn't have pets.

Chapter 22: Maya has another strange dream. It involves torture.

Chapter 24:

a. 20 miles = 32.186 88 kilometers.

b. The movie series Sam is talking about is Final Destination. Serena loved them and horror movies.

Chapter 27: a. Maya remembers the Tafts, an older couple at Salmon Creek, their homemade fudge, their Halloween treats and what she and Seri did on Halloween.

b. Maya coached a grade two girl named Stacey in track last year.

c. Maya remembers neighbors' white-haired pets

Chapter 28: Sam finds out something about Mrs. Tillson that means a lot to her.

Chapter 31:

a. Maya loves Froot Loops cereal. So does Corey.

b. Sam makes an unintentional pun that makes Corey laugh.

Chapter 34: We get a bit of info about Project Genesis from Darkest Powers trilogy.

Dog lovers: Maya's German shepherd, Kenjii, is available for our enjoyment.

Cat lovers: Haley's cat doesn't have a big scene, but there are big cats to admire. ( )
  JalenV | May 13, 2016 |
I have come to the conclusion that Kelley Armstrong is one of my preferred YA urban fantasy writers out there right now. Her books are just really good. I still haven’t finished the Darkest Powers trilogy, but I have the third book so I’ll get to it. Admittedly, I do like that trilogy a tad more than this one (what can I say, I prefer necromancers to shapeshifters), but this one is no less good.
Taking place immediately where the last book left off, Maya and her friends are fleeing from a forest fire in a helicopter. Scared and confused from being attacked by supposed ‘rescuers,’ Maya and her friends encounter problems while in the helicopter which leads to the helicopter crashing - stranding them in the forest.
The book mainly deals with the group trying to make their way back to civilisation all while being trailed by these mysterious rescuers who very obviously do not want to rescue them. From the previous book we learned that Maya is actually a skin-walker, but in this book it’s shown that she might not be the only genetically altered teen on the island (aside from Rafe and Annie, obviously).
Not a great deal actually happened in this book to move the plot forward, which was a strange move. Yet, it worked. I felt like we got to know the characters better amidst the problem they were faced with. Maya is a great protagonist. I’m not a huuuge fan of shape shifting/shape shifter plotlines, so I wasn’t sure I would initially like this trilogy as much because of that, but I like Maya and Rafe and Daniel so much that I don’t really mind that so much.
Rafe, for reasons that I won’t say because of spoilers, wasn’t really in this book as much. Which actually was a great move because it took romance pretty much out of the picture. Which is fantastic because these kids were in a survival setting and having Maya hung up on Rafe during that would have bothered me, but thankfully that was not the case. I also really appreciate what is happening with Maya and Daniel. So many YA authors would turn this into a love triangle, but that’s obviously not what is happening here, thank the lord.
I just really like how Kelley Armstrong treats her characters and relationships. I really like her books. This was a good second book, not the best of the series (which is now looking like a continuation of the Darkest Powers trilogy), but it was good. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fitzsimmons, ErinCover design & typographysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ikeda, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schechter, CarrieCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Julia
I don't know who was more anxious - Daniel or Kenjii - but they weren't making this emergency helicopter evacuation any easier.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the hardcover first edition):

No part of this book may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without written permission, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews. For information address HarperCollins Children's Books, a division of HarperCollins Publishers, 10 East 53rd Street, New York, NY 10022.

Library of Congress cataloging-in-publication data are provided.

First printing of first edition line: 12 13 14 15 16 LP/BV 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Maya Delaney’s paw-print birthmark is the sign of what she truly is a skin-walker. She can run faster, climb higher, and see better than nearly anyone else. Experiencing intense connections with the animals that roam the woods outside her home, Maya knows it’s only a matter of time before she’s able to Shift and become one of them. And she believes there may be others in her small town with surprising talents.
Now, Maya and her friends have been forced to flee from their homes during a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set. Then they’re kidnapped, and after a chilling helicopter crash, they find themselves in the Vancouver Island wilderness with nothing but their extraordinary abilities to help them get back home. Plentiful action and romance in this second installment in the Darkness Rising series will keep readers enthralled to the very last page.

Maya and her friends--all of whom have supernatural powers--have been kidnapped after fleeing from a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set, and after a terrifying helicopter crash they find themselves pursued by evil-doers in the Vancouver Island wilderness.… (more)

297 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,827,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible