Delirium's Party: A Little Endless Storybook

by Jill Thompson

Series: Little Endless Storybooks (2), Death {The Sandman} (Guest Appearance 2011), The Sandman

When Delirium notices her sister, Despair, never smiles, she throws a party for her and all of their siblings bring gifts to cheer her up.

As much as I adore the Little Endless, I wasn't as impressed with this story as I was with the previous book written and illustrated by Jill Thompson. Her llustrations are, of course, still top notch, and she used her subject's (Delirium's) madness to full visual extent, but the story kind of annoyed me. Despair's function is despair, so throwing a party in an attempt to make them not despair is highly contrary to their nature and is essentially doomed to failure. But of course, that is also Delirium's nature - to attempt the impossible and make it so against all odds - and it is likely mostly her irrational nature which drives me a bit crazy. I appreciate her mad tendencies (the world needs madness and creativity in it), but generally I find her a touch too much. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
Jill Thompson’s Delirium’s Party: A Little Endless Storybook follows her original Little Endless Storybook, with Delirium realizing that she’s never seen her sister, Despair, smile, so she plans a party to cheer her up. Once again, the story involves all of the Endless: Destruction, Destiny, Despair, Desire, Dream, Death, and, of course, Delirium, though this time they come to Delirium’s realm. As in the previous book, Thompson uses beautiful watercolors to capture the transient nature of the Endless and their worlds. Though this book followed the original Little Endless Storybook, the two are self-contained and may be read out-of-order. Some have suggested that these books serve as an introduction to The Sandman mythos for children and, while that may work, both stories make more sense as tales within The Sandman universe told from Delirium’s point of view. They will particularly delight fans of Delirium, though there’s plenty here for all who love Neil Gaiman’s Sandman comics. As an added treat, Thompson gives a glimpse into her artistic method from pencils to paints after the story. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Nov 3, 2018 |
Eh. I like SANDMAN, I like Thompson, I've read the other Little Endless, but "eh" is all. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
Another Little Endless book. Light and funny.
  ritaer | Apr 25, 2017 |
How did I miss these? I'm not sure I'd shelve them in the children's collection--which is where I accidently found them--but as a novelty item for a Sandman-fan parent they'd be cool. I always thought the little endless were cute.
  JessLibrarian | Apr 15, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

Death {The Sandman} (Guest Appearance 2011)

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,866,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible