Speak to the Winds (1956)

by Ruth Moore

Three generations after Chin Island was inhabited by a bustling community of laborers, only a few families remain. A feud begins on Christmas Day, troubling the remaining inhabitants as they gossip and fan the flames of conflict. Two warring factions collide as the kindly Elbridge Gilman attempts to stop them along with his quick-tempered partner, Liseo MacGimsey. Readers will enjoy Ruth Moore's excellent descriptions of gales, dashing waves, and New England cooking. Speak to the Winds, originally published in 1956, remains a classic that draws glowing reviews from its readers.… (more)

Thank you to LibraryThing for this book.

Don't know why I wanted to read this. It had small print and too much description and not enough conversation for me. ( )
  sweetbabyjane58 | Nov 2, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thank you to LibraryThing for this book.

sweetbabyjane58 | Nov 2, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ruth Moore’s “Speak to the Winds” is a mid-20th Century novel that eloquently describes the life on Chin Island. The well written descriptions leave the reader with a complete image of the island and residents of the island come to life on the page.

However, this type of book is not for everyone. I found the story very slow moving and this to be a book I was in no hurry to rush back and continue reading.

If you enjoy this style of writing then you will probably love it. Sadly, it simply was not a good match for my personal reading taste.

Thank you to LibraryThing and Islandport Press for my copy of the book. No promise of a positive review was requested and any opinion shared here is strictly my own. ( )
  catchat | Sep 27, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It took me a very long time to read this book; not because of the writing but because I'm going through chemo and the concentration wasn't there. I put it aside because I knew it would be worth it when I was better.

I loved this book. The hard scrabble life; the small village day to day goings on and the pettiness of people and the greatness of others. Miss Greenwood was such an inspiring character. Her love for life and nature was amazing. This book will hold a special place in my heart always.

Thank you to Islandport Press and LibraryThing for a copy for my review. ( )
  juju2cat | Sep 20, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The book is a story of life in a small community where everyone knows everyone else. It reminded me of where I grew up and where I wanted to get away form as fast as possible. ( )
  charlottem | Sep 8, 2022 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ruth Moore's book Speak to the Winds was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,126,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible