Ascension by Christie Golden

Ascension

by Christie Golden

Series: Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi (8), Star Wars (44 ABY)

211584,416 (3.48)1 / 8

So many different threads being woven. I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster. As soon as one crisis is over, another one IMMEDIATELY pops up and then whammo, time for our heroes to jump into action again.

I like Luke, Leia and Han and the host of the original characters. Some of the newer people are ok, ie, Jaina, Jag, Tahiri, but most of the characters seem to be there as props.

The Sith. What a joke. What a phracking joke! Where are the ysalamari [excuse the spelling]? Why aren't they blanketing Coruscant? They are a HUGE tool to use against force users and you would think that the non-force users would have realized this by now.

Abeloth-it morphs once again into the perfect boogeyman for the writers to use without having to think very much. I am resigned to it sticking around to the end.

Overall, this series is my last I'm buying in the Starwars EU. While I enjoy parts and bits, the overall isn't as fun or as good as say, Zahn, Stackpole or Allston.

BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I really liked this audio book. Like all Star Wars Audio books the "cinematography" was amazing.

The love story between Ben Skywaler and the Sith Girl Vestra finally take off. She's willing to give up all for her new love. It seems geniue, but we may have to wait for the final event.
Many of hte other story lines that they have set up over the first 7 books finally take shape. An imperial Remanent battle between Jag and Dolla is in the works.

There are new representatives in the GA Assembliy. BUt down't worry its not Prequel level boring congress stuff They seem like they are completely new folks, but they just might be some we already know seeking power of their own in a giant conspiracy.

The barabells are still on Corsecant and they may just be the last hope for humanity.

I still do wonder what is going on with our two Jedi who are still in the sickness off on the slave world, with the next being the last in the series I hope I'm not left hanging.

All in all exciting and adventurous I hope that the finale lives up and doesn't just go too fast to get stuff down in 9 books. ( )
  fulner | Mar 2, 2016 |
Good news, this series finally takes off and sets up nicely for the series finale. While much more interesting than most of the books in the series so far the main plot points are hard to buy into. Without trying to spoil to much; the transition of government that takes place, and the position Abeloth and the Lost Tribe end up in are not very believable. If you take into account the Star Wars Saga and how it took the Sith 1,000 years to take control of the galaxy, it makes this series look like just another EU book that does little to convince me that it is part of that same universe.

I have always been a advocate for consistency and continuity between the various Star Wars media, but the way things have been going with the last two series makes me reconsider. Maybe it will be ok if the new movies overwrite some of this stuff. I don't understand the need for these long multi-book series. There is something to be said about subtlety and quality over quantity. If you are going to have a nine book series then why aren't these major galaxy changing events given an appropriate amount of time to develop, rather than happening over the course of two books.

Highlights in this book are the relationship between Ben and Vestara, and the conflict in the Imperial Remnant, which I really hope settles things once and for all. I don't know how much more moff scheming against other imperials or the New Republic/GA I can take. I haven't read the Legacy comics but I don't think the Empire needs to continue to be a major plot point for the sake of tie-ins. ( )
  Porfinicle | Feb 19, 2015 |
fun. ( )
  MilesVor | Apr 4, 2014 |
While this episode of the series moved the story along, it didn't capture my imagination. I don't know if it is because the story didn't spend enough time with characters that I was interested in, but overall it wasn't as entertaining as I have found other books in this series to be. ( )
  tjsjohanna | May 24, 2012 |

Christie Goldenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thompson, MarcNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book, my last entry into this amazing nine-book adventure is dedicated to those who walked it right alongside me:

Aaron Allston

Troy Denning

Shelly Shapiro

Sue Rostoni

The co-creativity of this team has been and continues to be nothing short of phenominal. Thank you fer letting me be a part of it.
The sun beating down on the stained-glass dome of the Circle Chambers painted the forms of all those assembled in a riot of colors.

Luke Skywalker, his son Ben, and the Sith girl Vestara are in pursuit of the power called Abeloth, who has joined the Sith in a bid to take over the galaxy. With the leadership of the government uncertain and torn apart by power struggles and infiltrators, the Sith have a secret that could shake the Jedi.

As Luke and Ben Skywalker pursue the formidable dark-side, the Lost Tribe of the Sith is about to be sundered by an even greater power--which will thrust one dark lord into mortal conflict with his own flesh and blood.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,228,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible