Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch

Moon Over Soho (edition 2011)

by Ben Aaronovitch

1,8391165,524 (4)271
Member:towo
Title:Moon Over Soho
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Gollancz (2011), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:fiction, fantasy

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch

English (114)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (116)
***Spoilers ahead you’ve been warned***

It is advisable to read the first one before you get into Moon Over Soho. You’re pretty much carrying on right after the events in the first book so it’s always better to get the background information before carrying on :)

I was pleased with this one, complete with rather macabre scenes that will stick with me for a while. I still enjoy the way it’s being narrated by Peter Grant. He tells it pretty bluntly and explains well for some of us who don’t live in London which helps understand the setting more. The setting is dark and gritty, just right to complement the mystery that is prevalent to the case. The mix with the supernatural blends quite well with real life London, I believe it’s probably even more enjoyable to read for those that are quite familiar to the city.

Supporting characters and some new ones are featured in the book. It’s nice to see Leslie again despite what happened to her (ahh but the ending though!). Peter takes a lot of beating (both verbal and physical) during the book which is to be expected. He does have a thing with Simone that covers a good latter part of the book which is ok, although I thought it provided a lot of filler and it slowed the pace down considerably. You almost wanted to ask; “Peter, don’t you have a case to work on?”

It proved to be a quick read with a good open cliffhanger ending with the mystery of The ‘Faceless One’ which makes the series even more intriguing at this point. I’ll be definitely be picking up the third one. A great series to read so far! ( )
  sensitivemuse | Dec 4, 2018 |
The second in the Peter Grant series is even better than the first. I really liked how Leslie was kept in the story after the unfortunate ending for her in the first book. Jazz, vampires, and magic, all with a dose of humour. ( )
  ladyoflorien | Nov 19, 2018 |
A nice follow up to Rivers of London. It has a pleasing change of pace, less frenetic I think. Otherwise it has most of the same characteristics of the first book and is an enjoyable light read. One slight criticism - in both books Aaronovitch ODs on one aspect of the story. In Rivers of London, it was the riot, in Moon over Soho, it is the overdriven sex scenes. 19 October 2018. ( )
  alanca | Oct 25, 2018 |
Jazz vampires. Would be five stars (for wit, and tugging at heart strings, and great descriptions) if I wasn't so irritated by the stereotyping. It's not bad, it might even be accurate and non-invasive, but I can't say, 'cause I'm not from London, so I'm mildly uncomfortable. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Wish I'd jotted down the character list as I went along as I lost the plot a bit in the middle. If I read another one I'll do that to save a lot of flicking back and forward. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |

Aaronovitch, Benprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blum, ChristineÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youssi, WesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Men have died for this music.

You can't get more serious than that'

Dizzy Gillespie
For Karifa, because every father yearns to be a hero for his son.
It's a sad fact of modern life that if you drive long enough, sooner or later you must leave London behind.
“Would you like me to arrest you?” I asked. That’s an old police trick, if you warn people they often just ignore you but ask them a question – then they have to think. Once they start to think about the consequences they almost always calm down, unless their drunk of course, or stoned, or aged between fourteen and twenty-one, or Glaswegian.
She opened her eyes. They were still blue. They were still Leslie's eyes. I tried to stay focused on those eyes.
"What do you think?" she said.
"I've seen worse," I said.
"Liar," she said. "Like who?"
"Your dad," I said.
It wasn't funny but I could see she appreciated the effort.
"Do you think you'll get used to it?"
"Get used to what?"
"My face," she said.
"You're always talking about your face, you know," I said. "You're just too vain. You need to think about other people instead of yourself all the time."

Peter Grant is on
the trail of an ethically
challenged magician.
(passion4reading)
Turns out, jazz is the
foodstuff of life for certain
magical creatures.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345524594, Mass Market Paperback)

BODY AND SOUL

The song. That’s what London constable and sorcerer’s apprentice Peter Grant first notices when he examines the corpse of Cyrus Wilkins, part-time jazz drummer and full-time accountant, who dropped dead of a heart attack while playing a gig at Soho’s 606 Club. The notes of the old jazz standard are rising from the body—a sure sign that something about the man’s death was not at all natural but instead supernatural.

Body and soul—they’re also what Peter will risk as he investigates a pattern of similar deaths in and around Soho. With the help of his superior officer, Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the last registered wizard in England, and the assistance of beautiful jazz aficionado Simone Fitzwilliam, Peter will uncover a deadly magical menace—one that leads right to his own doorstep and to the squandered promise of a young jazz musician: a talented trumpet player named Richard “Lord” Grant—otherwise known as Peter’s dear old dad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Rookie cop and magical apprentice Peter Grant from Midnight Riot returns inthis urban fantasy tale of magic and murder, set to a jazz beat.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,690,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible