Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch

Moon Over Soho (edition 2011)

by Ben Aaronovitch

Member:towo
Title:Moon Over Soho
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch
Info:Gollancz (2011), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:fiction, fantasy

Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch

English (103)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (105)
A great second act/novel from Aaronovitch and it was nice to see gradual/organic change in Peter Grant & his supporting cast. Too often, there's an overcorrection and huge jump/change between an intro book and a followup, and that didn't happen here. Good plot, interesting new characters and fleshing out returning characters. Recommended if you want a decently paced magical procedural. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
Didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the first. I found I was getting confused between the various cases that Peter Grant was working on - couldn't keep them straight in my head - and I found the descriptions of his sexual prowess a bit OTT (yes, I'm probably turning into a prude in my old age).

There were lots of fun parts - the ambulance hijacking and the disembodied fortune-telling head, for example - and I appreciated the use of the London Metropolitan Archives in a supporting role. But overall, not quite as gripping and easy to follow as the first in the series. And there were similar editing issues in this one, too. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
These is a great series. I love how the world expands. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Jul 29, 2017 |
So far this is the weakest of the series (I just finished listening to #2) but I still really enjoyed it. ( )
  Gretchening | Jul 20, 2017 |
As with all "second in a series", I enjoyed the first one better. But, I like this world and these characters and I will continue with the series.

Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youssi, WesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Men have died for this music.

You can't get more serious than that'

Dizzy Gillespie
For Karifa, because every father yearns to be a hero for his son.
It's a sad fact of modern life that if you drive long enough, sooner or later you must leave London behind.
“Would you like me to arrest you?” I asked. That’s an old police trick, if you warn people they often just ignore you but ask them a question – then they have to think. Once they start to think about the consequences they almost always calm down, unless their drunk of course, or stoned, or aged between fourteen and twenty-one, or Glaswegian.
She opened her eyes. They were still blue. They were still Leslie's eyes. I tried to stay focused on those eyes.
"What do you think?" she said.
"I've seen worse," I said.
"Liar," she said. "Like who?"
"Your dad," I said.
It wasn't funny but I could see she appreciated the effort.
"Do you think you'll get used to it?"
"Get used to what?"
"My face," she said.
"You're always talking about your face, you know," I said. "You're just too vain. You need to think about other people instead of yourself all the time."

Peter Grant is on
the trail of an ethically
challenged magician.
(passion4reading)
Turns out, jazz is the
foodstuff of life for certain
magical creatures.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345524594, Mass Market Paperback)

BODY AND SOUL

The song. That’s what London constable and sorcerer’s apprentice Peter Grant first notices when he examines the corpse of Cyrus Wilkins, part-time jazz drummer and full-time accountant, who dropped dead of a heart attack while playing a gig at Soho’s 606 Club. The notes of the old jazz standard are rising from the body—a sure sign that something about the man’s death was not at all natural but instead supernatural.

Body and soul—they’re also what Peter will risk as he investigates a pattern of similar deaths in and around Soho. With the help of his superior officer, Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the last registered wizard in England, and the assistance of beautiful jazz aficionado Simone Fitzwilliam, Peter will uncover a deadly magical menace—one that leads right to his own doorstep and to the squandered promise of a young jazz musician: a talented trumpet player named Richard “Lord” Grant—otherwise known as Peter’s dear old dad.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Rookie cop and magical apprentice Peter Grant from Midnight Riot returns inthis urban fantasy tale of magic and murder, set to a jazz beat.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,524,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible