dismiss

Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London) by Ben…

Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London) (edition 2011)

by Ben Aaronovitch (Author)

BODY AND SOUL   The song. That's what London constable and sorcerer's apprentice Peter Grant first notices when he examines the corpse of Cyrus Wilkins, part-time jazz drummer and full-time accountant, who dropped dead of a heart attack while playing a gig at Soho's 606 Club. The notes of the old jazz standard are rising from the body--a sure sign that something about the man's death was not at all natural but instead supernatural. Body and soul--they're also what Peter will risk as he investigates a pattern of similar deaths in and around Soho. With the help of his superior officer, Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the last registered wizard in England, and the assistance of beautiful jazz aficionado Simone Fitzwilliam, Peter will uncover a deadly magical menace--one that leads right to his own doorstep and to the squandered promise of a young jazz musician: a talented trumpet player named Richard "Lord" Grant--otherwise known as Peter's dear old dad.… (more)
Member:wdwilson3
Title:Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London)
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2011), 288 pages
Collections:For Trade
Tags:mystery, fantasy, humor

Moon over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch

English (127)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  All languages (130)
I think this series gets better as it goes on. It isn't deep nor does it ask any big questions but it is fun and well worth the read. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
I very much enjoyed how this book expanded on the universe introduced in the first book. It lost half a star for how often I wanted to shake the main character into realizing who and what a certain character was. I had a hard time believing he wouldn't have figured it out sooner. The book ends with a terrific teaser for developments in the next and I can't wait to begin. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jan 18, 2020 |
I liked it better than the first one even though through most of it Peter was pretty much letting his dick guide him around, and ignoring the most obvious suspect. Still, great London and jazz history. ( )
1 vote piemouth | Jan 7, 2020 |
I like this series. The characters are realistic and likable and the story is interesting, although the overarching story is more compelling than the plot of each individual book. I read the books out of order - I do not recommend skipping around. The humor is clever and will appeal to a well rounded, well read audience. ( )
  Jawin | Dec 29, 2019 |
READ IN ENGLISH

I had really enjoyed reading the first book of this series, Rivers of London (also known as Midnight Riot), so I was obviously also very curious to this second book, Moon over Soho.

Unfortunately I didn't like it as much as I liked the first book. Perhaps it was because I don't know enough about Jazz to understand properly what they were talking about, perhaps I wasn't completely charmed with the Riversex (and the ongoing quarreling between the different Rivers). It was still an enjoyable read, and I'm planning on reading the third book anytime soon... ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |

Aaronovitch, Benprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blum, ChristineÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youssi, WesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Men have died for this music.
You can't get more serious than that'
                              Dizzy Gillespie
For Karifa, because every father yearns
to be a hero for his son.
It's a sad fact of modern life that if you drive long enough, sooner or later you must leave London behind.
“Would you like me to arrest you?” I asked. That’s an old police trick, if you warn people they often just ignore you but ask them a question – then they have to think. Once they start to think about the consequences they almost always calm down, unless they're drunk of course, or stoned, or aged between fourteen and twenty-one, or Glaswegian.
She opened her eyes. They were still blue. They were still Leslie's eyes. I tried to stay focused on those eyes.
"What do you think?" she said.
"I've seen worse," I said.
"Liar," she said. "Like who?"
"Your dad," I said.
It wasn't funny but I could see she appreciated the effort.
"Do you think you'll get used to it?"
"Get used to what?"
"My face," she said.
"You're always talking about your face, you know," I said. "You're just too vain. You need to think about other people instead of yourself all the time."
When you're a musician, Free is a magic number.

Peter Grant is on
the trail of an ethically
challenged magician.
(passion4reading)
Turns out, jazz is the
foodstuff of life for certain
magical creatures.
(passion4reading)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,752,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible