Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality…

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

by Eliezer Yudkowsky

Sasquatch Moon by R. Stone (Anonymous user)

I've read fanfic before, and am typically entertained/amused by the twists and turns that people come up with. However, I simply found it impossible to finish reading this. I got halfway through (and btw, 1000 pages? Really?) .. and have now deleted this from my nook. ( )
  LaurieGienapp | Dec 8, 2017 |
This is almost perfect so I'm going to point out a few flaws: Yes, it does get boring for a while towards the end. I really don't know what Harry's casual racism was supposed to do for the story. And that weird transphobic r*pe joke in the omake files 3. Yes, I know it's supposed to be funny, haha, haha.
...yet somehow all that didn't influence my opinion enough to give less than 4 stars. Yes, most of the story is REALLY good. ( )
  kthxy | May 6, 2016 |
I can't recommend this enough. The amount of cleverness put into writing this - with all the plot twists, foreshadowing, real-life lessons - is simply awesome. ( )
2 vote PeterParameter | Jan 17, 2016 |
Wow, I can't believe it ever got finished. 1900 pages of Harry's first year at Hogwarts, in a rationalist AU where he was raised by an Oxford professor. Imagine Ender Wiggins dropped into Hogwarts and you'll have most of the idea. I like the rationalism. I like the world of HP. I love the loving snark about the Potterverse, which is very clever and sharp in places. I love the (slightly up itself) 'we will destroy Death and make the world a better place'. And actually, it was remarkably well plotted, for an episodically released fan fic - things learnt earlier in the book turn out to be important and useful and everything comes together in a coherent whole. Even if I'm a _little_ bit sad that Spoiler really was an unredeemed bad guy, because he was So Cool. A bit cliched in places, a bit flabby in places (I never really got on with the endless battles), but clever and fun and page turning. ( )
1 vote atreic | Apr 20, 2015 |
Marking that I have finished reading this book seems weird. In half a month, another story arc is scheduled to be published, and the author is rewriting many of the earlier chapters. So, for the sake of clarity, let me note that, at the time of writing this review, chapter 85 was the last published chapter.

The book takes you on a journey unlike any other. Eliezer is as much concerned with having cutting edge cognitive research integrated into the plot as having a good story and well built characters. The beginning of the book is simply wonderful. It presents a very strong conflict between the scientific mind of reinvented Harry Potter with the incredibly weird and convoluted world of JK Rowling's magic. Harry's tries to comprehend this world are something that gives this work full five stars. Yet, with all this wonderful inner conflicts, this is still a work of fanfic and it shoots itself into the foot and, half way through, suddenly switches the direction into the world of battle magic, where Harry comes up with clever Muggle artifacts to outwit other wizards. The premise is still working and these chapters are definitely necessary for advancing the plot, but rather tedious to parse. Pages and pages of turn-by-turn fighting sequences just to get to the description of a gizmo-of-the-week that Harry invented to finish off the battles in one way or another. The tediousness of reading these chapters took away one star from this work.

Since this is a work in progress, probably there was least work done on the latest chapters so it is possible that Eliezer will fix these problems and in the end have a wonderful work that succeeds in disentangling the secret laws of JK Rowling's magic along those of the human cognition.

I would go so far to put this work on recommended reading list for all high school students since it gives them insight into very distant topics in a palatable form. ( )
  leo8 | Mar 28, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,763,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible