King's Cross by Timothy J. Keller

King's Cross (edition 2012)

by Timothy J. Keller

Title:King's Cross
Authors:Timothy J. Keller
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2012), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Jesus Christ

King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus by Timothy Keller

Recently added bymarc_lloyd, private library, FBCCLib, robhat, Kmagyar, LeGrandLamb, Elizabethmv

I have enjoyed this as much as any book I've read this year. There are not a lot of good commentaries on Mark, for some reason, but this one is the best I have read. Many excellent insights. Another book for which five stars is not high enough. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
A nice, easy-going exposition of the gospel of Mark ( )
  M_Clark | Apr 10, 2016 |
Timothy Keller "unlocks new insights into the life of Jesus Christ as he explores how Jesus came as a king, but a king who had to bear the greatest burden anyone ever has." — Publisher's notes
  rbclibrary | Apr 12, 2014 |
I admit that I was really skeptical when I got this book (something about the breathless dust jacket blurbs, which are doubtless not Keller's fault). I'm glad I read it, though. I don't think his writing style will ever be my favorite; for example, his tendency to drop a quote from Lewis or Tolkien or something from pop culture just as he's winding up to a really excellent theological insight. There were also moments when his exegesis made me wish he would "show his work" a little more. I was uncomfortable at points that the book didn't have a stronger "churchly" horizon and was focused more on the felt needs of the individual seeker. On the other hand, Keller is targeting the unchurched. He knows his audience well. And I was also challenged by the reminder of how personal and particular Jesus' love is. It's the only thing that can free me up to get over myself and be able to love Him and others.

Keller introduces Jesus and the gospel in such an attractive, often surprising way that I often thought of people with whom I wanted to share and discuss this book. On the whole, I would recommend it. ( )
  LudieGrace | Dec 4, 2013 |
Not as good as his earlier book, Reason For God. This books reads like a series of sermons from the book of Mark. There are some particularly fascinating and rewarding insights. I enjoyed the last chapter about the happy ending, which as a Christian I really believe and that makes so much difference in how I feel and live my life. I could have given the book a five star rating if it was more scholarly. He assumes much from his theological background that he doesn't support. A decent read non the less. ( )
  SamTekoa | Feb 17, 2013 |

King's Cross is Timothy Keller's revelatory look at the life of Christ as told in the Gospel of Mark. There have been many biographies of Jesus, but few will be as anticipated as one by Keller, the man Newsweek calls "a C.S. Lewis for the twenty-first century."

In it, Keller shows how the story of Jesus is at once cosmic, historical, and personal, calling each of us to look anew at our relationship with God. Like Keller's other books it has tremendous crossover appeal, but it is also ideal for the faithful, those who are looking for a closer connection to Jesus and Christianity.

New York Times bestselling author and nationally renowned minister Timothy Keller unlocks new insights into the life of Jesus Christ.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:50 -0400)

Presents a revelatory examination of the life of Christ as told in the Gospel of Mark, inviting readers to review their personal relationships with God with a greater understanding of historical events.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,164,865 books! | Top bar: Always visible