Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire) by Mark…

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire) (edition 2012)

by Mark Lawrence

Member:KateSherrod
Title:Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire)
Authors:Mark Lawrence
Info:Ace (2012), Edition: LaterPrinting, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

English (55)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Albanian (1)  All (59)
This book is a wonderful, terrible, shocking ride. It definitely is not for everyone. If you have trouble reading about an intentionally unsympathetic protagonist who does horrible, horrible things (such as kill his own men for minor sleights, rape women, and drive nails into people's brains to lobotomize them and get them to talk) turn away now.

Prince Jorg is truly terrible. Many have drawn comparisons between him and Joffrey from Game of Thrones. While I admit it is a natural comparison, there are important differences. I would not read an entire book about Joffrey, because not only is he pure evil, he's a sniveling coward when in the presence of real danger. Jorg, on the other hand, is brave to the point of insanity, lucky to the point of disbelief, and very, very clever. Because of this, I found myself rooting for him. His pure passion, hatred, and lust for blood is cathartic on a level I've yet to feel from a book. Every time I put this book down I found myself in a better mood because Jorg is just so angry and he gets to express that anger however the f#$% he wants and you feel like you got your own frustrations out too.

In addition to that the ending earns the book an entire star. I honestly felt like this was a four star book until page 224.Jorg finds a vault full of ancient weapons from The Builders--a long forgotten precursor to his people that made the strongest roads, castles, and steel. Turns out those people are us, this is a post apocalyptic earth in the vein of The Book of the New Sun (and far more entertaining imo), and the weapons are nuclear bombs. Jorg blows one up to destroy a rival nation's castle, as well as the entire mountain it sits on.

Then, after that doozy of a twist we get another one.Turns out that Jorg's entire quest and his bloodthirst was influenced by a mage of sorts who Jorg met when he was a child, all memory of their meeting being erased from Jorg's mind. It's questionable how much free will he actually had, and whether he would have become the terrible man he is now without that influence.

What this book is, more than anything, is something different. If you're tired of reading epic fantasy books about great heroes doing great deeds; if you like The Punisher, or Dexter; get this book. If that kinda stuff turns your stomach, maybe look elsewhere.

1 vote ForeverMasterless | Apr 23, 2017 |
Complete and utter over the top brutality and selfishness. The main character simply does things to spite others. While you might have felt sympathy for him because of the horrible history he had, he uses that history to grow his hate and rage to commit as great, or even greater atrocities, thus becoming a ravening beast inspiring hatred and rage in others, and thus continuing an ever-downward spiral.

I will not be reading any more by this author. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
One of the most unique protagonists for sure. Dark and still humorous at times, just because of Jorgs actions. I just couldn't foresee what that guy would be up to. ( )
  Zoiber | Oct 10, 2016 |
I should know better than to buy books based on cover blurbs, but I got suckered by this one. I thought I read somewhere that Mark Lawrence was a good new author and maybe he is, but if so this book is not his best. My main problem with this is that all of the action centers around a 14 or 15 year old, the title character. While this may be attractive to some readers, this 15 year old is not only a brutal killer and torturer, he's the best fighter in his band of bandits and their leader. The book proceeds in somewhat of a circular fashion, starting in the middle, going back to the beginning then proceeding on. Lots of unrealistic violence lead by the Prince of Thorns himself. There is some evidence at the end that all is not as it seems and that there is a bigger game going on, perhaps it all makes more sense in the second book. ( )
  Karlstar | Oct 1, 2016 |
Full review on my blog. Four and 3/4 stars. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
Prince of Thorns is without a doubt the most original and most memorable fantasy debut of 2011. It's difficult to imagine how another book could top this one
added by mark32 | editRisingShadow.net, Sami Airola (Feb 27, 2011)

"This is a lean, cold knife-thrust of a novel, a revenge fantasy anchored on the compelling voice and savage purpose of its titular Prince. There is never a safe moment in Lawrence’s debut"

added by mark32 | editRobert V.S Redick

"Dark and relentless, the Prince of Thorns will pull you under and drown you in story. A two in the morning page turner."
added by mark32 | editRobin Hobb

The Prince of Thorns is an apt title for young Jorg - as a character he is not heroic at all. He is twisted and violent, calculating and merciless. Yet I couldn't stop reading - regardless how many times Lawrence's brilliant descriptions made me wince and clasp my hand to my mouth in disbelief. It was freaking awesome!

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence is the best fantasy read I’ve had since Alan Campbell’s Scar Night. It got hold of me from page one and didn’t let go...

Mark Lawrenceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Celyn, the best parts were never broken
Ravens! Always the ravens.

"Before the thorns taught me their sharp lessons and bled weakness from me I had but one brother, and I loved him well. But those days are gone and what is left of them lies in my mother's tomb. Now I have many brothers, quick with knife and sword, and as evil as you please. We ride this broken empire and loot its corpse. They say these are violent times, the end of days when the dead roam and monsters haunt the night. All that's true enough, but there's something worse out there, in the dark. Much worse."

Once a privileged royal child, raised by a loving mother, Jorg Ancrath has become the Prince of Thorns, a charming, immoral boy leading a grim band of outlaws in a series of raids and atrocities. The world is in chaos: violence is rife, nightmares everywhere. Jorg's bleak past has set him beyond fear of any man, living or dead, but there is still one thing that puts a chill in him. Returning to his father's castle Jorg must confront horrors from his childhood and carve himself a future with all hands turned against him. The thorns taught him a lesson in blood...Copyright 2010, Mark Lawrence, All Rights Reserved.The Prince of Thorns is the first volume in a powerful new epic fantasy trilogy, original, absorbing and challenging.

Mark Lawrence’s debut novel tells a tale of blood and treachery, magic and brotherhood and paints a compelling and brutal, sometimes beautiful, picture of an exceptional boy on his journey toward manhood and the throne.

When he was nine, he watched his mother and brother killed before him. By the time he was thirteen, he was the leader of a band of bloodthirsty thugs. By fifteen, he intends to be king... It's time for Prince Honorous Jorg Ancrath to return to the castle he turned his back on, to take what's rightfully his. Since the day he was hung on the thorns of a briar patch and forced to watch Count Renar's men slaughter his mother and young brother, Jorg has been driven to vent his rage. Life and death are no more than a game to him-and he has nothing left to lose. But treachery awaits him in his father's castle. Treachery and dark magic. No matter how fierce, can the will of one young man conquer enemies with power beyond his imagining?… (more)

Mark Lawrence is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,463,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible