Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson)…

Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson)

by Darynda Jones

Series: Charley Davidson (2)

English (79)  Piratical (1)  All languages (80)
Funny and great story. Supernatural beings and clumsy PI what a combination.
The author interview, at the end of the book, describes the series lead Charley Davidson after Lorieli Gilmore. Buffy the Vampire and Stephanie Plum. ( )
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
Funny and great story. Supernatural beings and clumsy PI what a combination.
  cfulton20 | Dec 5, 2018 |
Really cute series. ( )
  KristinaSimon | Nov 24, 2018 |
Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones is a 2011 St. Martin’s Press publication.
When a friend of Cookie’s goes missing, Charley is on the case. However, Charley has a lot going on in her personal life right now, as well. Charley has absorbed the fact that Reyes is literally the son of Satan. But, right now, he is haunting her after leaving his corporeal body, with the intention of dying, and won’t tell her where his body is.
The mystery is great! Very solid, twisty, lots of big revelations. The other parts of the story are emotional and very tense. I was absolutely riveted. Of course, Charley’s trademark snark and wit are front and center and had me laughing out loud.
The ending is a bit controversial, which had me feeling conflicted. If that weren’t bad enough, the book ends with a cliffhanger. Thankfully, I’ve got book three already queued up and ready to go. Can’t wait to see what happens next!!
4 stars ( )
  gpangel | Nov 13, 2018 |
I'm just going to say that Charley is effin hilarious, and a total bad ass without a scare reflex. I say that because in most books, a heroine will find their way into trouble and freak. No, not Charley, she just keeps on truckin. Being threatend to be tortured, and she just makes a joke and keeps poking at the bad guy. I wish I marked one of the parts that cracked me up last night, but since it was about five am ( I couldn't put the book down...) and it was an awesome read, I didn't pause to mark it down. I love a book that can make me laugh so hard I cry.
I can't wait for the next book in the series, mostly because I'm drooling over what's going to happen between Charley and Reyes. Partly also because I'm a nerd, and her discovering she has even more powers is awwwesome.

RozzieReads | Jun 5, 2018 |

Darynda Jonesprimary authorall editionscalculated
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Mighty, Mighty Jones Boys, Danny, Jerrdan, and Casey.
You are the reason I breathe
Charley, hurry, wake up.

When Charley Davidson and Cookie (her best friend/receptionist) have to track down a missing woman, the case is not quite as open and shut as they anticipate. A friend of Cookie's named Mimi disappeared five days earlier. This friend then sends Cookie a cryptic message telling them to meet her at a nearby coffee shop. The coffee is brewing, but Mimi's still missing. There is, however, a clue left on the bathroom wall: a woman's name, scribbled by Mimi. Mimi's husband explains that his wife had been acting strange since she found out an old friend of hers from high school had been murdered a couple weeks prior. The same woman Mimi had named in her message.

Meanwhile, Reyes Alexander Farrow (otherwise known as the Son of Satan. Yes. Literally) has left his corporeal body and is haunting Charley. He's left his body because he's being tortured by demons who want to lure Charley closer. But Reyes can't let that happen. Because if the demons get to Charley, they'll have a portal to heaven. And if they have a portal to heaven...well, let's just say it wouldn't be pretty. Can Charley handle hot nights with Reyes and even hotter days tracking down a missing woman? Can she keep those she loves out of harm's way? And is there enough coffee and chocolate in the world to fuel her as she does?

Awakened in the middle of the night by a friend who has been texted by a missing woman, Charley Davidson discovers clues linking the disappearance to the murder of a woman two weeks earlier.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,447,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible