My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business: A…

My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business: A Memoir

by Dick Van Dyke

Other authors: Carl Reiner (Foreword)

The star of one of the most popular sitcoms of the 1960s and of classic films such as "Mary Poppins" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang," Dick Van Dyke pens a lively, heartwarming memoir of his multi-layered life.

Dick Van Dyke is one of my favorite actors, but the book was sort of "meh". He was a trailblazer in show business, in radio, TV, and movies, but this book just wasn't hitting it. In an early part of the book, he describe a time he was performing for the Hollywood elite (which included Lucille Ball) and no one was laughing, and there was definitely no applause. That's about how I felt with the book. There were some interesting stories, and some chuckle-inducing ones, too, but overall, it was just very flat. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
A great and honest look into one of Hollywood's most beloved actors. Some might be disappointed because he doesn't reveal very much dirt about himself, but that isn't to say that he only paints a perfect picture either. He readily admits to some of his biggest regrets, and as we realise that we all have a skeleton or two in the closet we easily love him just as much.

I will say this for the recent British publication: the proofreading needed some serious work. Typos, misspellings, and wrong words were dusted throughout each chapter. But I don't think that's Mr Van Dyke's fault. ( )
  MikeMerrill | Jan 28, 2018 |
What a great autobiography! Open and giving, you got a real sense that there is nothing secret if you just ask politely. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
Surprisingly fun and engaging read that goes very quickly.

I didn't learn too many new things, other than the author seems as genuinely pleasant as the characters he's played.

There were a few turns of phrase that just made me hear his voice perfectly, and I'd wished I'd been listening to an unabridged audio version of it...but only if DVD himself did the narration.

Worth the time if you want a light bio on an exemplary performer and person. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
I have always enjoyed the performances of Dick Van Dyke, and hearing him tell the story of his life was almost just as enjoyable. He comes across as pretty much the same person he plays in many of his movies and TV shows. It was interesting to hear about some of his experiences - he seems to either attract mishaps that he can turn into funny stories or just have a knack for turning the mundane into a great story. His longevity, adherence to a moral code, and sense of humor have definitely stood him well in life. May we be able to enjoy his talents for many more years to come. ( )
  debs4jc | Jul 5, 2017 |

Dick Van Dykeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reiner, CarlForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stan: You remember how dumb I used to be?
Oliver: Yeah?
Stan: Well, I'm better now.
Laurel and Hardy (Block-Heads, 1938)

If I'm known for giving people decent entertainment and raising good kids, that's all right. I'll have lived a good one. —Me
To my kids—Chris, Barry, Stacy, and Carrie—who taught me all I know about love
A while ago, but not so long that I can put this story anyplace else and have it make as much sense, my brother, Jerry, had a problem with his kidneys and needed a transplant.
Honestly, son, we worried about you. We didn't think you'd amount to anything. - My father, Loren Van Dyke

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,810,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible