My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business: A…

My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business: A Memoir (edition 2000)

by Dick Van Dyke (Narrator) Dick Van Dyke (Author) (Author)

Member:csobolak
Title:My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business: A Memoir
Authors:Dick Van Dyke (Narrator) Dick Van Dyke (Author) (Author)
Info:Books On Tape (2000)
Tags:autobiography, show business, television series, broken families, families

My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business: A Memoir by Dick Van Dyke

I have always enjoyed the performances of Dick Van Dyke, and hearing him tell the story of his life was almost just as enjoyable. He comes across as pretty much the same person he plays in many of his movies and TV shows. It was interesting to hear about some of his experiences - he seems to either attract mishaps that he can turn into funny stories or just have a knack for turning the mundane into a great story. His longevity, adherence to a moral code, and sense of humor have definitely stood him well in life. May we be able to enjoy his talents for many more years to come. ( )
  debs4jc | Jul 5, 2017 |
Candid, funny, light, nimble, personal. A nice story from a favorite actor. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Dick Van Dyke always makes me smile. I've enjoyed watching him over the years and always thought he was a great guy. This book is so enjoyable as an audio book. I loved having Dick read to me in the car as I drove to/from work. He is such a kid at heart and tried to live his life in such a good way. What a kind and gentle soul. He is someone who hasn't taken life for granted and has tried to get as much out of life as he can. There is so much more to him than a song and dance guy. I will forever love him. I recommend listening to this book so you can get the story from Dick himself. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Dick Van Dyke is one of my favorite actors, but the book was sort of "meh". He was a trailblazer in show business, in radio, TV, and movies, but this book just wasn't hitting it. In an early part of the book, he describe a time he was performing for the Hollywood elite (which included Lucille Ball) and no one was laughing, and there was definitely no applause. That's about how I felt with the book. There were some interesting stories, and some chuckle-inducing ones, too, but overall, it was just very flat. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
An audio book, read, or more accurately, told by Dick himself. This was good stuff, perfectly suited to commuter-listening, which is what I use audio books for. Pretty much what you would expect from loveable, laughable Van Dyke, but there's a lot more to him than Rob Petrie. He treats his alcohol addiction, the end of his long marriage, his relationship with the once-infamous Michelle Triola, and his artistic failures with what feels like humble honesty. And, as he warns you up front, if you're looking for dirt on Hollywood shenanigans, it ain't in there. If you like him, you'll like the book. And man, am I glad I had it with me last Thursday when I got caught in a two-hour traffic tie-up.
Review written in May 2012 ( )
1 vote laytonwoman3rd | Apr 23, 2016 |

Dick Van Dykeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reiner, CarlForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stan: You remember how dumb I used to be?
Oliver: Yeah?
Stan: Well, I'm better now.
Laurel and Hardy (Block-Heads, 1938)

If I'm known for giving people decent entertainment and raising good kids, that's all right. I'll have lived a good one. —Me
To my kids—Chris, Barry, Stacy, and Carrie—who taught me all I know about love
A while ago, but not so long that I can put this story anyplace else and have it make as much sense, my brother, Jerry, had a problem with his kidneys and needed a transplant.
Honestly, son, we worried about you. We didn't think you'd amount to anything. - My father, Loren Van Dyke

The star of one of the most popular sitcoms of the 1960s and of classic films such as "Mary Poppins" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang," Dick Van Dyke pens a lively, heartwarming memoir of his multi-layered life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,141,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible