My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece by…

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece (2011)

by Annabel Pitcher

English (43)  Catalan (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All (51)
this book left me speechless and so so sad ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
For me, this was one of those books that sometimes worked for me and sometimes didn't. My problem was that Jamie is supposed to be 10 when the story opens and about a year passes during the events of the book, but often the Jamie presented acted both emotionally and physically beyond his years. If he'd been 13 I'd have had less problem accepting some of his thoughts and reactions. I enjoyed Jamie's personality and need to, in fact, willingness to break from his father's racist leanings and beliefs. I liked Sunya and Jas and appreciated that they protected Jamie where they could. I had nothing but disdain or outright disgust for the Jamie and Jas's parents. I felt great sympathy for Jas who lost her twin sister. No one seemed to focus on how bereft that must have made her feel, especially given how the parents instantly made a saint out of Rose. I wanted to give that kid a big hug and fulfill all her wishes for herself. A worthy read, but not one that worked as well for me as it did for others. ( )
  whymaggiemay | May 2, 2017 |
This book was on one of my shelves for awhile. I purchaseed it for the curious title. It is, once again, another example of YA writing that deserves worthy mention.

This is a story of a family split apart, told from the perspective of the younger brother of twin sisters, one of whom is killed in England by a terrorist action.

Jaime was too young to remember his sister. He is now forced to act older than his ten years of age. His mother leaves he, his sister and father and abandons them for another man. Spending his days drinking obsessively, Jamie's father has little desire to spend attention on his two remaining children.

Obsessed with grief regarding the killing of his daughter, Jaime's father keeps her ashes in a shrine-like atmosphere on the mantle. As Jamie and his sister are moved to a new school, forced to walk when their father cannot make it out of bed. In addition, Jamie is terribly bullied and cannot look to his remaining parent for any emotional support.

Jaime finds one friend, a young girl who happens to be of the Muslim faith. She is the lone person in school who tries to learn about him and who cares.

This is a good book, but not a great book. The author writes well, but she packed so much into the story. Each event that happened to Jamie was piled on one after another and another.

Jaime's sister is killed
His mother leaves
His father drinks his days and nights away
Jaime attends a new school where he is bullied
Jamie happens to find one friend who happens to be of the same faith as the terrorist that killed his sister
and then there is a situation with a pet.....

All of these events were too much to pack into one book. ( )
  Whisper1 | Jan 28, 2017 |
Wow! What a book!
I don't have much to say about it at present as I'm still digesting what I've read.
One of my faves this year. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Oct 31, 2016 |
This is one of my new favorite books. Admittedly, I found it on Audible while looking for narrators I liked (David Tennant, amazing as ever), because that sometimes leads me to great finds. This was one of those great finds. I'd never heard of this book before and took a chance.

I was enchanted from the beginning. Pitcher writes in a simple, elegant style. Her characters are delightful, and she captured the melancholy dynamics of a broken family in a way that was truly touching and lovely. The focus on childhood friendship and the bond between siblings was most enjoyable to me, as was the idea that "grownups don't always get it right." I laughed out loud at Jamie and his antics, and then cried despite my best efforts not to (because I was listening at work, and therefore sniffling in my cubicle), but this was one of the most heart-melting stories I've read in a long time.

And, dang, this ought to be read in every single school. Everywhere. ( )
  lefaulkenberry | Jul 27, 2016 |

Annabel Pitcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tennant, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My sister Rose lives on the mantelpiece. Well, some of her does.

With his family still grieving over his sister's death in a terrorist bombing seven years earlier, twelve-year-old Jamie is far more interested in his cat, Roger, his birthday Spiderman T-shirt, and keeping his new Muslim friend Sunya a secret from his father.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,654,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible